Menu

First Grade Planning

Me! DD turns 6 in a few months!

Singapore 2A, 2B...3A? (We start 2A next month, so we'll need something at the end of next year.)

Evan Moore Daily Language review

Bravewriter

Spanish...not sure what yet

We use a public school text for science, and then expand

History we listen to Story of the World and then usually pick one or two ancient civilizations to do a long, involved unit on

Lots of reading to mom. Maybe finishing up ETC 8 if we don't finish all the books this summer.

She does gymnastics twice a week and swimming as well. We have a once a week co-op that hits a ton of science and history. We do all the special performances the major theater puts on for schools. 

This year we did math and phonics every day and fit in handwriting, science, history, and writing around the edges, which worked fine. But next year we have more subjects and it's more important to me to hit them all regularly. Thankfully our schedule opens up, but the amount of time she can sit still and focus is an issue. But I think I'm going to do what I saw someone mention on this site and maybe do two months of history and then two months of science and not try to do them both at the same time. Then everything else I should be able to manage on a regular schedule.

DD1 will be in first grade next year.

Language Arts - AAR3, AAS2, ZB2 printing and begin cursive (she's begging for it), FLL1 and WWE1

Math - Rightstart B and CLE 1 for review / memorizing facts

Science - NL 1

History / Geography - Early American History through picture books and Little House books, state study and US Geography

Art - Usborne Famous Painting Card study, Learn. Imagine. Create! Art Series (free download) 

Lollipop Logic

PE - Ballet/Tap, Ice Skating

Our plan...

Right Start Math

All About Reading and All About Spelling

Aesops fables by RFP for writing (to be done in cursive which he learned this year)

Road Trip USA

Mr Q Life Science and/or Home Science Adventures by Stratton House

We are looking into a co-op and a PE class. He'll continue soccer and swimming, possibly basketball in the winter.

Our plan...

Right Start Math

All About Reading and All About Spelling

Aesops fables by RFP for writing (to be done in cursive which he learned this year)

Road Trip USA

Mr Q Life Science and/or Home Science Adventures by Stratton House

We are looking into a co-op and a PE class. He'll continue soccer and swimming, possibly basketball in the winter.

We will be doing the Aesop's Fables in the Milo Winter version in Ambleside Online Year 1.  Have you used this resource before?  

I'm still trying to get a handle on how to teach my youngest, who'll be 6 in August. Within the last year, he's transformed from an easy-going preschooler into a strong-willed, melodramatic little artist. He is reading, so I'm calling kindergarten a success, but we really haven't had the year I was hoping for. For next year, I'm planning to invest in some good books rather than spend too much money on curricula that may or may not get used. 

Math: Singapore Essential Kindergarten Math B, then maybe Miquon? 

Reading: Reading aloud daily from a basket of books chosen by me. Independent reading of his choice. 

Writing: Continue Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting, then copy work when he's ready.

History: Story of the World 2 + illustrated biographies and historical fiction.

Geography: Legends and Leagues, then reading picture books about and doing some research on one continent each month.

Science: Reading books. 

Arts: Piano lessons, dance classes, reading picture books about the arts and illustrated biographies of great artists, musicians, dancers, free reign with his art supplies every afternoon, etc. 

PE: Swim lessons, tumbling class.

We will be doing the Aesop's Fables in the Milo Winter version in Ambleside Online Year 1. Have you used this resource before?

No, I haven't used it or even seen it in person. I actually first read about it here on a post about lesser known curriculum. I'm hoping my son likes it. My older son will be doing CAP Writing and Rhetoric Fable so I thought my younger would enjoy something with fables too.

Let's see..

OPGTR and Plaid Phonics workbook

ELTL1

Finish Horizon K and Miquon Orange and then maybe RightStart B?? Or just Miquon and facts practice??

Learning about 1800's through Little House and other living books (with ds9)

Science using Lets Read and Find Out books and Magic Schoolbus DVDs (with dd4)

US states through picture books/mapwork (with ds9)

Bible: Long Story Short and Review of Sunday School Lessons

Phonics:  Finishing OPTGR

Grammar, Writing, Picture Study, and Poetry: ELTL 1

Handwriting: Getty Dubay C

Math: Math U See Beta

History: Ancients with a variety of resources

Science: Finish SIB and begin Science in the Ancient World by Jay Wile

Art: Various Usborne Art Books

Music: Beethoven using Simply Charlotte Mason and Confessions of a Homeschooler resources

Begin recorder lessons at age 7 (half way through the year)

When I saw this thread I almost skipped it because I've been so focused on my 6th grader.  My middle guy is too little to be a 1st grader this year.  Except he isn't so little anymore.  I don't require school until they turn 6.  This year will be the first time he is required to do school work.  A lot of this will look more like K work than 1st grade.

Reading:

Finish MCP K

MCP Level A

Learning through Sounds 1 & 2

I see Sam

Pathway Reading

Sonlight I Can Read it

Composition:

Climbing to Good English

Handwriting:

Copywork

History Oddessy Ancients

Science: Elemental Science Biology\Plants\People

Math:

MEP

MM

Montessori

Art:

Artistic Pursuits

That looks like a lot but, we'll use bits and pieces.

• Like 1

When I saw this thread I almost skipped it because I've been so focused on my 6th grader.  My middle guy is too little to be a 1st grader this year.  Except he isn't so little anymore.  I don't require school until they turn 6.  This year will be the first time he is required to do school work.  A lot of this will look more like K work than 1st grade.

Reading:

Finish MCP K

MCP Level A

Learning through Sounds 1 & 2

I see Sam

Pathway Reading

Sonlight I Can Read it

Composition:

Climbing to Good English

Handwriting:

Copywork

History Oddessy Ancients

Science: Elemental Science Biology\Plants\People

Math:

MEP

MM

Montessori

Art:

Artistic Pursuits

That looks like a lot but, we'll use bits and pieces.

You sound like me. I'm so busy planning for my to-be 9th grader that I almost missed the fact that my youngest will be 1st grade. I also don't require actual school work before age 6. He turned 6 a few months ago so we've been doing reading and math for his lessons. I'll ease him into other subjects come fall. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dudemom

We went very light for kindergarten this year, looking forward to introducing more to him this year.  Handwriting is a struggle for him (fine motor delays), so that will be a big focus.

Math: CLE 1

LA: CLE 1

HW: Pentime 1

Literature: VP's First Favorites

History: Living books to introduce early American history

Science: We'll jump around a little.  Some earth science with his big brother, Guest Hollow's Science of Seasons and Little Otter's Human Body Curriculum

Misc: We may do a FIAR unit here and there

Planning juices have been really flowing lately...so I'm updating my previous post:

Bible: Using some of Bible Road Trip (mostly the reading passages)... We'll cover Job to Malachi this year.

Memory Work: poems, geography (probably do countries of Europe & Africa), Bible verses, Spanish stuff, maybe some grammar/history/science/math stuff as needed...

Math: Feeling good about her foundation now. Plan is to finish MM1B (we've put everything but flashcards on hold for now), also complete 2A and at least some of 2B 

Language: R&S Grammar 2, The Modern Speller (Gr.2) (I'll use this for spelling lists and copywork/dictation), reading books from my ever-growing book list. :)

Logic: Some books from Critical Thinking Company, logic-building games (I've got a list...trying to see how far I can stretch my budget here...)

History: SOTW2 (this past year we did history on Friday which worked well...this year I'm morphing into doing the reading in the evenings when we're in the mood, and focusing on the Notebook, review, and extra reading on Fridays)

Science: Earth & Space (God's Design for Heaven & Earth, First Encyclopedias, maybe an experiment kit or two, and library books)

Music: piano lessons, music listening, studying great composers

Art: Home Art Studio Grade 2, studying great artists & their works, etc. 

Spanish: Little Pim videos, Speaking Spanish with Miss Mason, First Step Espanol, conversations with the Spanish speakers all around us :), etc.

DD 6 will officially be in 1st next year and will be doing:

Math-Beast Academy 3A,  

Geography-Evan Moor Continents

Art-Geography through art

Science- Evan Moor Animal Reports

Writing-Scripture character writing worksheets cursive

PE- Cheerleading, gymnastics and soccer

Music- Violin Lessons

LA -Read a ton plus Narration and Copywork

I am in a strange place for planning 1st. My dd1 wants to try out school, so we are going to send her for the first week or two and then let her decide whether to stay or come home. So I have my afterschooling if-she-goes plan and also my homeschooling if-she-stays plan. (I expect she will probably choose school, but want to be somewhat prepared if she doesn't).

Afterschooling Plan:

The school is starting a new program next year to group kids by level in each subject instead of age/grade classrooms. If this is a good fit for her, I will keep my after schooling to piano and totally voluntary fun enrichment, like read alouds with high quality literature and Beast Academy. Plus she wants to participate in the ELE and the NME next year, so we'll do SSL and other books to prep for those.

Homeschooling Plan:

If she decides to stay home we will do Singapore and Beast Academy for math, start spelling with I'm not sure what, work on her writing with narration and dictation, do lots of reading to each other. Also, she will continue piano.

Together with dd2, she would continue with the 2nd half of SOTW 1 for history, do BFSU for science, SSL for Latin, and memory work in Circle Time.

My twins will be 1st graders and we are planning:

Daily:

Math: Math Mammoth 1

Reading: Continue with Alpha Phonics, Bob Books - adding in Explode the Code; Read alouds

Writing: Continue with Handwriting practice, journal entries

1-2x per week:

History: SOTW 1 with student workbook / State History at the museum with co-op

Science: REAL Science Odyssey  - Life Science with co-op

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Romanian: Speak with kids in Romanian for part of each day.

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest will be a first grader in the fall. I feel like I'm still reeling from her being old enough for Kindy, honestly.  :crying:

I'm still formulating plans as I get used to this whole 'schooling two kids' thing. 

Reading: She's a fluent, pretty awesome reader all on her own. I'll continue our library trips and read-alouds to build her vocabulary

Science: Earth and Space with her sister. I have some unit studies I can incorporate. Still planning so I can line her topics up with odd. 

History: SOTW2 plus any projects between her and sister. Sis will be doing Middle Ages too so hoping this'll make life easier.

Math: Finish up MM 2A...maybe 2B but we'll see. She loves math and always wants more. Supplement with RS card games

Writing: WWE2, extra copywork with silly ydd-made sentences complete with wombat drawing (b/c she's a goofball)

Grammar: finish up FLL2, start 3

Spelling: Finish up AAS3, start 4

Vocab: Finish up Wordly Wise 3 and 4

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Extras: I'm hoping we can join hubby on his adventures in the Asian Pacific for work. We may break a bunch this year for Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa stuff. 

Sigh. This might be too much for my little one this year. We'll have to play it by ear with her. I talk down ydd a lot. She demands a full load just like her 'sissy'! She often wants to try to keep up with her sister, tires quickly and then flips out with frustration. We're working on getting her to chill out!! 

• 3 weeks later...

My 5 1/2 year old is K/1 - he can read fluently already, and most of his school time is alongside his sister who is in second grade. So, even though he'd be going into K, he's doing 1st grade work, pretty much. Good thing grade level doesn't really matter! :)

Here are the specifics of my plans for his K/1 year: http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/k-1-homeschool-plans