Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW19

Robin M

This thread always makes me want to run out to the bookstore. My library only has one copy of books and never has anything I want in... maybe I should suck it up and drive to one of the bigger ones. It also makes me wish I had more time to spend reading instead of an hour or so when I tuck in for bed. Perhaps I should grab my book during the day instead of peeking at FB but I worry about getting sucked in and then my entire house being taken over by small children. :p

I finished American Gods, it was a good one. Bizarre but a good story that held my interest. I'm making my husband read it now. Just started Sarah Dunant's Blood and Beauty: The Borgias. I hope it's a good one.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a mystery called Stalin's Gold by Mark Ellis.  It is set mainly in London during WWII, but jumps around to Russia and Spain.  It was not at all fluffy but very atmospheric.  The mystery involved Polish pilots who had escaped the occupation and continued to fight from a base in England.  The descriptions of the air battles were very real. The story starts with an accounting error during the Spanish Cival War.  Stalin sold arms and was shipped Gold as collateral, due to an error on the shipping documents several crates were diverted to Poland by a quick thinking Polish officer.  The story fast forwards to London where a Scotland Yard detective becomes increasingly involved in the intrigue between the Polish and Russians.   It is the second in a series but I had no problems starting with the second.  Plan to read the first at some point. This one potentially gets bundled into my WWII fiction 5/5/5.  

Finished two books today:

The Night Circus - one of my all time faves; second reading did not disappoint. {{{Happy sigh}}}

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay - very disappointed with. I started it a few weeks ago, but feared it might be too heavy and didn't continue it. I've been thinking about it, so I picked it up at the library to finish it. I thought the first half was disturbing and heart wrenching - in a way that people need to sometimes feel as they learn about the past. The second half did not even feel like the same book. Bummer.

BaW friends,

Like the rest of you I'm sitting here in utter shock, full of heartache and tears, wishing I could do something.  I don't have Rosie's address -- she was being coy about the exchange even though she so generously had sent several of you postcards.

I'm sure someone on the hive will find a way for us to send her our love.

:crying:   I have no words and my heart is broken for Rosie.  Once we have time to process this a bit, we can discuss what the group would like to do as well as perhaps contribute to whatever her community comes up with.  PM me if you prefer to discuss this privately.

:grouphug:

Only finished one book this week: The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective.

I'm not sure what book is up next, but I'm looking forward to June 15th when I get to start studying logic and Latin for myself. 

Hello sister BaWers,

I am just popping in to say that I'm feeling all of you in my heart as we gather round Rosie and hold her in our embrace. I feel a palpable sense of connection with you all knowing that we are each thinking of our dear Aussie sister and sending her the very best of ourselves. :grouphug:

love, Shukriyya

Bumbling, jumbling around with The Elegance of a Hedgehog and will probably be finished later today. 

Also, I have no idea how they could turn this into a movie. Wouldn't that remove all the best bits and leave us with some interesting, but rather bereft, characters? 

Dd and I loved the book and we were greatly disappointed by the movie. 

:crying:   I have no words and my heart is broken for Rosie.  Once we have time to process this a bit, we can discuss what the group would like to do as well as perhaps contribute to whatever her community comes up with.  PM me if you prefer to discuss this privately.

:grouphug:

I will be offline (traveling) very soon. I don't wish to miss any decision that the group may make during my internet absence. Hope to hear when I get back. I'd love to be able to do something. 

Very nice quote. Marek always snatched books when I tried to read them to him, and would make me dance with him if we'd been watching P&P.  :Angel_anim:

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug: 

Rosie, thinking of you all so much and sending love, hugs, and prayers your way. 

Very nice quote. Marek always snatched books when I tried to read them to him, and would make me dance with him if we'd been watching P&P.  :Angel_anim:

:grouphug:  That's a sweet memory.

Dd just watched P&P for the first time in her Brit Lit class. She really enjoyed it. (I will see if she ends up being a Colin Firth fan!)

Dd and I loved the book and we were greatly disappointed by the movie. 

Re: The Elegance of the Hedgehog...

Since I didn't like the book (& didn't finish it), maybe I'd like the movie? :laugh: