Menu

DD having an impossible time choosing a college! Can you help?

Blueridge

Several years ago I had posted our struggles with affording a college for dd. She ended up attending a cc and has flourished beyond belief. She has been so hesitant to make a college choice to transfer to, because money was still the deciding factor. That all changed when she was recently awarded an amazing scholarship to attend anywhere she chooses to complete her bachelor's degree in English. (Thank you, Lord!) Her goal is to be an English professor and continue her writing as well. She has narrowed it down to 2...Hollins University (the warm-fuzzy comfortable, have lots of personal attention be a top student place) and William and Mary (the wonderful public ivy reputation big name rigorous competitive place). Does anybody have *any* suggestion, opinion, bit of wisdom to share to help her make the right choice? Please help her!

I agree with congratulations!!!

I'm NOT an English person, but I'd be looking for a school that placed grads into grad school well as profs almost always have their PhD. Can you check with each school to see if they've had recent grads go on to grad schools in English? If both have, pick her favorite. If one appears better, that would tip the scale in their favor if it were us.

Congrats!!! I was going to link a review that I remembered reading, but it was written and deleted by you. ;)

Is she planning on grad school? Is one school going to be more helpful in guiding students toward future career objectives?

Oops....while I was multi-tasking, I see that Creekland posted the same questions!! :) Wish your dd the best as she researches her options!

Thank you. Yes, I have sure struggled with this, too. She never chose any school as her top pick because she was afraid of being let down again. We are SO thankful for this opportunity, but it has made the deciding so difficult. We had visited Hollins 3 years ago and found it *most liberal* in many ways, but they have also reached out to her so cordially and personally, so I was afraid that I had misjudged them unkindly. The president of her cc called its president and set up an entire day for her to be taken around and shown its classes and professors. My mommy ego is really pushing for W&M, though, because of its reputation, but it is farther away and not as personal for her (at present anyway). I am afraid that I am getting in the way of God's guidance because she wants us to be happy, too. :blushing: We never, ever thought that she could go *anywhere*...it is almost more than we can even comprehend it! Thanks again for your help. I am a quiet basket case at the moment lol.

I think I would be inclined to find out how many transfer-from-community-college students each college has dealt with, and try to get some sense of how those students fared in the English program. In some programs, next courses rely heavily on courses that come before, making it hard to transfer in. I might also encourage her to talk to some professors in each program and ask them if their community college transfer students struggled. This is likely to be a something of a transition and might come with a learning curve. If she needs a certain grade point average to maintain her scholarship, I would want to know how likely she is to be able to get the needed grades right away. I think I also might ask her how she feels about distance from home. Just some thoughts...

Nan

Oh - AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have visited both campuses, and they are quite different, I felt. Also, both great!

As I read replies, I feel like both would be great for your child for her major choice. What I would do: if you can manage one more visit to each....campuses closing down right now, though. I wonder if she might get a feeling for the places she'd be living: library, dorms, classrooms, etc. Meeting with professors MIGHT help, but more than one, as one person could just not fit.

Good luck. As others said: "no bad choice".

I think I would be inclined to find out how many transfer-from-community-college students each college has dealt with, and try to get some sense of how those students fared in the English program. In some programs, next courses rely heavily on courses that come before, making it hard to transfer in. I might also encourage her to talk to some professors in each program and ask them if their community college transfer students struggled. This is likely to be a something of a transition and might come with a learning curve. If she needs a certain grade point average to maintain her scholarship, I would want to know how likely she is to be able to get the needed grades right away. I think I also might ask her how she feels about distance from home. Just some thoughts...

Nan

Oh - AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Ding, ding, ding....bingo! We have a winner!

And the reality is if the choice is this close, like others have said, both are probably a good fit.

Faith

Thank you all, ladies.This month has been like a whirlwind. Dd has prayed and pondered so long because it is so important to her. Both choices were wonderful, but she chose the smaller school, closer to home, that seemed to have the same personal feeling as the school she just graduated from. She spent an hour with the lovely president a few weeks ago. She spent even more time with the head of their MFA program, and she graciously offered to be dd's mentor and advisor. It's a writer's school, they have 'connections', she will thrive. We went there just today and the girls and I sat in beautiful rockers on their large shady front porch of the administration building while we waited for dd to go sign some forms. The office staff remembered her name. :) The trees were massive and the breeze was cool, and the atmosphere was peaceful and wonderfully inspiring. She asked me if I felt OK about it because she wanted me to be happy, too. :001_wub: I know she will be well-cared for, because they have caught a glimmer of just how special she is. An hour and a half away this fall...it will feel so far. But all will be well.

Thank you all, ladies.This month has been like a whirlwind. Dd has prayed and pondered so long because it is so important to her. Both choices were wonderful, but she chose the smaller school, closer to home, that seemed to have the same personal feeling as the school she just graduated from. She spent an hour with the lovely president a few weeks ago. She spent even more time with the head of their MFA program, and she graciously offered to be dd's mentor and advisor. It's a writer's school, they have 'connections', she will thrive. We went there just today and the girls and I sat in beautiful rockers on their large shady front porch of the administration building while we waited for dd to go sign some forms. The office staff remembered her name. :) The trees were massive and the breeze was cool, and the atmosphere was peaceful and wonderfully inspiring. She asked me if I felt OK about it because she wanted me to be happy, too. :001_wub: I know she will be well-cared for, because they have caught a glimmer of just how special she is. An hour and a half away this fall...it will feel so far. But all will be well.

If this means she chose Hollins, I wanted to tell you that a good friend of mine's daughter graduated from there this weekend. I have watched her journey on Facebook over the last four years, and it has been amazing. She is the third generation to graduate from Hollins. As an engineer, I never considered a women's college because, well, engineering is still a man's world. (I ended up at VA Tech and GA Tech.) However, after watching this young woman's trek through Hollins, I would definitely consider it for my daughter.

If the choice is W&M, I have warm, fuzzy stories about that, too. However, I think from your post you mean Hollins.

Congratulations to your daughter! and to you!