Menu

Asking for my mom....homeopathic pain management options?

5LittleMonkeys

My mom is having pretty bad back pain (chronic) that can't be fixed by surgery. She is tired of the side effects of the pain meds she is on and is interested in looking at alternative options.

I mentioned to her that I thought there were some here who might have some experience. Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

The only homeopathic pain treatment I've tried is Arnica cream. It works extremely well for acute pain (like muscle sprains, etc.). I don't know if it would work the same for chronic pain, but it's worth a try. Hope others chime in with more specific recommendations for your mom's condition!

I don't know if this counts for homeopathic, but you might research TENS units (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation). It is a no-med option. You might have to consult with a chiropractor or physical therapist to learn how to adjust the settings.

Chiropractic care or physical therapy may help, also.

Best Wishes

Yes, try curcumin. It is a mild anti-inflammatory and helps some people. I took it for a long time for my arthritis.

In the long run though the best thing for me was physical therapy and becoming more active. One session of Pilates a week resolves my back problems and keeps them at bay. Two is better, but time is tight.

Thank you for the suggestions. She said she's going to look into the Empi Tens Unit first (she has a friend that used one after back surgery). The idea of not having to ingest anything appeals to her a lot. She's also going to look into the curcumin...she has arthritis of the spine...so hopefully that may help too.

She said to tell you all thanks.:)

Is the source of the pain in muscle or in the spine? Magnesium relaxes muscle. My DH recently started magnesium oil (spray-on) to loosen his very tight calves - he has plantar fasciitis - and it seems to be helping to a surprising extent, though it has been less than a week (he has taken oral magnesium citrate for extended amounts of time, has seen doctors who have given him special pain-relieving stuff to apply, to no avail, and he has an MRI scheduled).

For herbal support, I'd look at valerian (it tastes awful though, so capsules over teas). My husband found a tincture called Devils Claw that was specifically for back pain and it was the only thing that eased some pain he was having. But of course, these are more based on experience with minor pain compared to your mom's condition. I'm also huge fan of both chiropractic, if possible, and would also do acupuncture if other stuff wasn't helping either.