Menu

Seriously people, why do you let your children climb UP the slide?

skeeterbug

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bare feet, frequently. Cupcakes, sometimes. Climbing up slides, absolutely not. My mom expected my brothers and I to behave at playgrounds or we'd be spanked and taken home. I don't spank, but I do take my kids home from the playground if they don't follow the rules about proper behavior.

But didn't you say you wouldn't let them climb up a slide even if at home? Are there an intrinsic slide rules? Why?

Oo! That WOULD be a fun slide!!

Unfortunately, they don't make fun playground equipment anymore. Alas, your totally awesome idea may never be engineered to fruition. Too bad... because I'd totally climb/slide that sucker. Especially if it was a 25-footer!

ETA: Oo! Oo! Oo! I just remembered this broadcast of Q I heard a few weeks ago about a German playground equipment manufacturer that actually does make cool stuff. The interview is about "the dangers of safe playgrounds." Zip ahead to the 30 minute mark for that interview.

ETAA: The company's website is here. Neat looking stuff actually. I wish we had stuff like that here.

I heard that one. I love Q. I am always in the car at that time of day.

I also enjoy threads that meander as much as my own poor brain does these days.

Exactly- it's rude to misuse the playground equipment. If slides were meant to be climbed up, there would be a slide part on both sides and no ladder. Then the kid would go up one side and down the other.

Now that would be cool playground equipment. :hurray: Can we get that going? Maybe 25 feet high on both sides? :coolgleamA:

Now that would be cool playground equipment. :hurray: Can we get that going? Maybe 25 feet high on both sides? :coolgleamA:

Heads up one side and face down the other. Penguin/Pengnam Style.

Because I believe that playgrounds are for playing, not a police state.

Playgrounds already suck compared to when I was a kid. Want to suck every last bit of fun out of them, huh?

Sheesh. I feel sorry for your kids. Do you take away their toys if they aren't "playing with them right?"

I let my kids climb up the slide because it's fun and because it's a physical challenge for them and also because it never occurred to me that I should worry about "letting" or "not letting" them. I'm not huge on the idea that everything has to be used exactly for its intended purpose and nothing else. If there's a line, I'd tell them not to do it, but otherwise, have at it!

Are there rules about exactly how one may utilize the monkey bars?

Tara

I am forever reminding my dd that she can't climb up if another kid is waiting to go down--down-sliders get preference over up-climbers. But the park is for exploring and exercising and developing skills. Nothing wrong with safe slide climbing. I teach my children to be courteous and aware of others around them, but beyond that, I believe the park is for unrestricted play.

Oh, and I let my kids go barefoot all the time. In the summer, dd wears flip flops, and those are horrible at the park. She can grip the equipment better with bare feet, so in that sense, it's safer. I'm very pro bare feet.

But it's nice to know that when I'm at the park, other parents are shaking their heads in judgment. Sheesh, can we not even go to the park and play without being judged?