Menu

I feel like I've been had!

Mama2Many4

A couple of months ago I bought "A First Course in American History" by Simple Schooling on Currclick. While browsing Google Books today looking for free history resources I can across "A First Course in American History" by Jeannette Rector Hodgdon. The one they are selling on Currclick is stolen, word for word from this original. I mean, even the pictures are copy and pasted. Goodness, the whole book looks like it was copy and pasted then changed to a different font. The copyright has run out on the original, but this is clear plagiarism! Simple Schooling is selling theirs for $25 reduced to $4 at the moment. But I paid $25 dollars because it sounded so great! Turns out it was REALLY great when it was originally written a 100 years ago! Simple Schooling makes themselves out to be the author of this work and they blatantly are NOT! I'm so upset that I spent all that money on something I now have free and better. I will NEVER again bother with Simple Schooling again!

I just wanted to warn others. I wouldn't doubt if all their materials are stolen works from others.

:rant:

Shame on them! And :grouphug: to you - I would be furious and sad.

Originally Posted by elfknitter viewpost.gif

http://www.publicdomaintreasurehunte...public-domain/

While I do think it was shady to charge so much for something that's mostly a public domain book with a few worksheets tossed in, the issue is more of an ethical one than a legal one. It would seem she can do this and the situation unfortunately becomes one of caveat emptor.

Yes, "she can do this" in the sense that it's not a criminal offense — unfortunately plagiarism is not in itself against the law. It's still highly unethical; a student caught plagiarizing in college could be failed or even expelled even though they haven't technically committed a crime. I'm sure if any of us caught our kids plagiarizing text, whether from recent books or public domain sources like wikipedia or googlebooks, we would read them the riot act and impose severe consequences! So the fact that this woman is plagiarizing another author's work and selling it to unsuspecting teachers — homeschooling parents — seems extra-slimy to me.

Guess I felt like I was saying the same thing.

It is possible that she is still coming on here without signing in though ;)!
Where's a mooning smilie when you need one? :tongue_smilie:

Also, J. Anne Huss has stated elsewhere that she is infuriated by plagiarism. The exact quote:

"Bravo! It is infuriating to see people taking the hard work of others and using it for their own benefit. I am probably the last person on earth who doesn’t steal music and movies – but it really bothers me. I respect copyright 100% of the time and if there is a time when I violate it – it is a total mistake and would be corrected immediately. (I’ve never had to do that thankfully!)"

Maybe there is a miscommunication somewhere, if this is J. Anne Huss's policy?

Wow, how ironic that she posted that in response to a warning about not copying material from other websites and putting your own name on it, which is exactly what she does. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Guess I felt like I was saying the same thing.

Oh, I was agreeing you, I was just elaborating on the difference between copyright violation and plagiarism. :001_smile:

Jackie

Figures one of her things is in the trunk or treat on currclick.

I tried to make extra certain that I didn't get anything by her on the Currclick special. I didn't check close enough since I guess she runs the Simple Homeschool site as well as "Simply Schooling." Blah. I wouldn't have downloaded the (free) Halloween thing if I would have known beforehand. (The "By J. Anne Huss" on every page gave it away.) Blerg.

A couple of months ago I bought "A First Course in American History" by Simple Schooling on Currclick. While browsing Google Books today looking for free history resources I can across "A First Course in American History" by Jeannette Rector Hodgdon. The one they are selling on Currclick is stolen, word for word from this original. I mean, even the pictures are copy and pasted. Goodness, the whole book looks like it was copy and pasted then changed to a different font. The copyright has run out on the original, but this is clear plagiarism! Simple Schooling is selling theirs for $25 reduced to $4 at the moment. But I paid $25 dollars because it sounded so great! Turns out it was REALLY great when it was originally written a 100 years ago! Simple Schooling makes themselves out to be the author of this work and they blatantly are NOT! I'm so upset that I spent all that money on something I now have free and better. I will NEVER again bother with Simple Schooling again!

I just wanted to warn others. I wouldn't doubt if all their materials are stolen works from others.

:rant:

Thanks for the warning. I checked the original. It does look great.

Ewww.

Honestly, this is why I don't buy anything at CurrClick or online pdfs at blogs, etc. I like real, published books.

I haven't read the entire thread---but wanted to chime in that I have looked at currclick and used some of their free resources---not even worth the ink to print. Others may have found some good stuff---but that is one homeschooling site that I personally have not been impressed by.

I like real, in my hands, books too!! :D

I haven't read the entire thread---but wanted to chime in that I have looked at currclick and used some of their free resources---not even worth the ink to print. Others may have found some good stuff---but that is one homeschooling site that I personally have not been impressed by.

I like real, in my hands, books too!! :D

Just to clarify that the point of this thread was to complain about one of the companies selling through Currclick, not Currclick. Currclick supports homeschoolers that are trying to make some money to fund their homeschool expenses by selling materials they have put together themselves. The honesty of those selling through Currclick is a whole other matter ;). Currclick also sells PDF's for big name, reputable companies like Evan-Moor etc. I recently purchased a PDF book from Evan-Moor through Currclick, instead of through Evan-Moor because I have taken advantage of many free resources they have provided and I felt it was only fair to offer something back. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater! If it is not for you, I can understand it, but don't knock a company without knowing a bit more about it ;).

Just agreeing with the other poster that I wasn't impressed and liked real books in my hand as well---didn't say anything about the "honesty of currclick"

I never said that you did. I think you completely missed my point. No worries!