Menu

What to use after First Language Lessons?

Guest Dara

Guest Dara

So what are you guys going to use after Level 4 of First Language Lessons? Should we still go with grammar lessons, or just concentrate on the technical aspects of writing and vocabulary expansion? I can come up with lots of ideas there, just trying to decide if this is enough grammar or not? I want the kids to be strong in English, but didn't get any grammar myself after 5th grade, so I'm uncertain.

Guest Dara

Thanks for the sharing your thoughts. What is MTC?

I personally wouldn't use Rod and Staff, for English especially. My DH grew up Eastern Mennonite (R&S is published by the Eastern Menn. church) and I know first hand that their grammar is weak (I have found regional grammarisms (words used in certain ways that are not correct except as they are understood within a certain region of the country, in this case, people who speak Penn Dutch) in the R&S English books. Also, I occasionally do copy-editing for small Mennonite publishers and the amount of incorrect grammar is unbelievable for people who make their living in the publishing industry. Just my personal experience there. Thanks for the input though.

Does anyone use Easy English?

Guest Dulcimeramy
Thanks for the sharing your thoughts. What is MTC?

I personally wouldn't use Rod and Staff, for English especially. My DH grew up Eastern Mennonite (R&S is published by the Eastern Menn. church) and I know first hand that their grammar is weak (I have found regional grammarisms (words used in certain ways that are not correct except as they are understood within a certain region of the country, in this case, people who speak Penn Dutch) in the R&S English books. Also, I occasionally do copy-editing for small Mennonite publishers and the amount of incorrect grammar is unbelievable for people who make their living in the publishing industry. Just my personal experience there. Thanks for the input though.

Does anyone use Easy English?

But, Dara, your own post is full of grammatical errors. You also said that you did not study grammar beyond fifth grade.

I'm not trying to throw stones here, because my own educational background is similarly weak in grammar. If there are real problems with R&S, I'd like to learn more about them.

I have been using R&S because of Susan Wise Bauer's recommendation, and I have been pleased with the results, but I am no expert.

Would you be willing to cite some errors that you have found in R&S English books?

But, Dara, your own post is full of grammatical errors. You also said that you did not study grammar beyond fifth grade.

I'm not trying to throw stones here, because my own educational background is similarly weak in grammar. If there are real problems with R&S, I'd like to learn more about them.

I have been using R&S because of Susan Wise Bauer's recommendation, and I have been pleased with the results, but I am no expert.

Would you be willing to cite some errors that you have found in R&S English books?

Yes, please.

J

Looking at the TOC for FLL 4, I don't see clauses listed anywhere and I only see prepositional phrases covered not any of the other types of phrases. So I definitely think that a student would need additional grammar. MCT does a decent job teaching about phrases and clauses in the "town" level. The Killgallon books do as well.

Hmmmm, well my plan is R&S. I just started this with my upcoming 3rd and 4th grader. I didn't have FLL for them (used GWG)... I've been happy so far with it. I'm also curious why a curriculum SO recommended by SWB would be riddled with errors. :confused:

My younger two will work through FLL4 and then I'll put them in R&S in 5th.

I also plan to switch to R&S after FLL with my dd. My ds is using it now, and I think it is a VERY strong English program. I'm actually having my oldest (11th grade) use the 5th or 6th grade book (because that's what I have on hand) to do a grammar refresher course this fall before taking the SAT in the spring. He never did diagramming, and I want to quickly go thru this curriculum with him.

FLL is awesome for grammar stage students, but grammar instruction should not end there.

We also use Rod and Staff English, and have for some time now. I have not found any of the problems you mention, and these books are opposite of your descriptions. I had more grammar instruction in grade school than you mentioned having, yet I've learned from these books. :001_smile:

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading The Well-Trained Mind. Most libraries have it. There are other grammar recommendations in there.

Guest womackb

I'm brand new to this forum and still figuring things out but the reason I joined is to find out WHAT to use after First Language Lessons Level 4. I have LOVED this curriculum and SO wish there were more levels after 4. Does anyone know what Jessie and Susan say to use after level 4 in their latest revision of the Well-Trained Mind book? PLEASE help!

Guest Dara

I didn't mean to sound offensive. One of the purposes of forums to for people to be able to express their opinions; I stated that mine was based on my personal experience, not extensive knowledge. I don't see that my post is "full of grammatical errors" either, even if it is unconventional to put parenthesis within parenthesis; this IS just a forum, not a grammar textbook. I wouldn't presume to write one.

As for citing examples, at the risk of sounding evasive, I dare say it is fair enough to say that I don't own any R&S books to quote from, nor do I, as a home school mom, have the time to peruse them for that purpose. If folks are able to use them successfully, then I am glad for that. I just don't wish to myself, based on my personal experience. Perhaps it was presumptuous to share it.

Thanks for the other leads... I will be looking them up.

We are going to switch to MCT after FLL2 for my up and coming first grader. She's about 2/3rds done w/FLL 1. But we aren't going to start MCT until she is REALLY ready to dive into it. We might bid our time for a bit if her writing skills aren't where they should be yet. I did MCT Island with my highly accelerated 3rd grader this year, and it was a great fit. Island level is marketed to gifted 3rd graders or regular 4th graders. But I've seen it used successfully with all kinds of kids at all kinds of ages. It's an extremely flexible program. Not to mention it's rigorous in content and fun to do!

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

There are plenty of threads on this curriculum available via search. Good luck! :)