Menu

Woo hoo! My son is a black belt!

Our oldest was awarded his 1st degree poom belt in tae kwon do tonight! He's been testing over the last two weeks but he's been working for it for almost 5 years!

Here's a picture of him holding his Kukkiwon certificate:

3512335952_9eb914fc8a.jpg

Congratulations to him! Cricket, can you explain 'poom' to me please? When Calvin was doing Taekwondo in China, he used to get a 'poom' certificate when he went up a grade. We have no idea what the word means, and it's not used in Taekwondo in Scotland.

Thanks

Laura

Congratulations to him! Cricket, can you explain 'poom' to me please? When Calvin was doing Taekwondo in China, he used to get a 'poom' certificate when he went up a grade. We have no idea what the word means, and it's not used in Taekwondo in Scotland.

Thanks

Laura

The Kukkiwon in Korea issues two kinds of black belts. Poom belts are awarded to students 14 and younger. Dan belts are awarded to those 15 and up.

The Kukkiwon in Korea issues two kinds of black belts. Poom belts are awarded to students 14 and younger. Dan belts are awarded to those 15 and up.

So do they then go get a Dan belt when they are an adult, or is the Poom belt the same level? I have always wondered about the difference...

So do they then go get a Dan belt when they are an adult, or is the Poom belt the same level? I have always wondered about the difference...

The way I understand it, is that if he tests for his 3rd degree (because he should get his 2nd degree before 15), then that belt will be a dan belt. He will have 1st and 2nd degree poom belts but a 3rd degree dan belt. Does that make sense? :) His goal from the beginning was to be a master so he intends to keep going. He wants to open his own school one day. His master thinks ds can become a 4th degree within 10 years. Master Lee is training ds to be one of his instructors. He already helps teach the forms to some of the lower belts. He loves it.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

:party:

My oldest daughter is due to receive her Black belt in Tae Kwon Do August 8th!!

Great! It is something to see them get it. I thought I was going to cry. Dh was standing behind me and could hear a little sniffling. :001_smile: