Menu

Now I know why our homeschool is so boring

I was searching through some threads this morning and ran across one about momof7 and her planning system on the old forum, although I didn't find what I would consider a "system" I could latch onto I did get it and I found it very enlightening. I have been homeschooling my son who is 13 for four yrs now, this is the only child I've homeschooled and it has been trial and error and mostly error on my part. Each day we have flown by the seat of our pants just going through the motions and getting it done so we can have the rest of the day off..yipeeee. Ya that's us. I see now the importance of planning for more educational value and to make it more interesting, although I'm still not sure how I'm going to do this, I can see my son is not where he should be in some subjects,this is were I see implementing some goals and planning would come into play, and this will be a feat in itself for me, I am not a well organized person , I wish it had come naturally for me but it surly does not. I am so utterly indecisive as well so that makes matters even worse and I get so distracted from phone calls and being on the pc to long.(Like now)I think I have faith in myself that I can do it but I think It will feel like I'm rowing upstream. What I think I will do first is start simple and build from there , boy I hope this works.(What A bumpy ride this is gonna be). I love reading the posts from all you moms that have it so together and know what your goals and plans are for each child. I long for the day I can feel accomplished in our own homeschool endeavers as well. Cheers to you all. ~Silverundertones.

I was searching through some threads this morning and ran across one about momof7 and her planning system on the old forum, although I didn't find what I would consider a "system" I could latch onto I did get it and I found it very enlightening. I have been homeschooling my son who is 13 for four yrs now, this is the only child I've homeschooled and it has been trial and error and mostly error on my part. Each day we have flown by the seat of our pants just going through the motions and getting it done so we can have the rest of the day off..yipeeee. Ya that's us. I see now the importance of planning for more educational value and to make it more interesting, although I'm still not sure how I'm going to do this, I can see my son is not where he should be in some subjects,this is were I see implementing some goals and planning would come into play, and this will be a feat in itself for me, I am not a well organized person , I wish it had come naturally for me but it surly does not. I am so utterly indecisive as well so that makes matters even worse and I get so distracted from phone calls and being on the pc to long.(Like now)I think I have faith in myself that I can do it but I think It will feel like I'm rowing upstream. What I think I will do first is start simple and build from there , boy I hope this works.(What A bumpy ride this is gonna be). I love reading the posts from all you moms that have it so together and know what your goals and plans are for each child. I long for the day I can feel accomplished in our own homeschool endeavers as well. Cheers to you all. ~Silverundertones.

Can you provide a link to her post....I'm always interested in others systems and trying to learn from them!

I too have major issues with organization and spending too much time on the computer. What works for others does not work for me. Like fro example FlyLady. I cannot do her program it is too little and too much for me. For me this is what FINALLY worked:

I have a notebook with dividers in it. In front of the dividers is a statement I wrote about why I need to follow a plan and how it will bless my husband, my children, and my home. Under that is a list of my daily goals, a very loose schedule if you will. Behind that page are calender pages I printed off my computer. I write in anything that gets scheduled as soon as it is scheduled. I have a to-do list tab, and when I think of things that need to be done, I write them on notebook paper in that tab. As they get done, I check them off. I have a homeschool section where I write stuff like conferences I want to attend, curriculum wish list, and other notes about goals and such.

Then, I have a "lists" section where I write random things such as right now I have a list in there of things I want in a home when my DH finally gets a new job and we move. I also have a list of things to ask my doctor at my next visit. I have to write these things down as I think of them or they are gone forever. I also write lists of things I want (like a standing mixer) in that sections.

After that I have a journaling section and I do my best to journal every day and reflect on how well I kept my schedule and achieved my goals.

I have seen a world of difference since starting this system.

I hope I helped you some if no more than knowing you are not alone.

I do have an older edition of WTM and I think the planning stages for me that are difficult are trying to determine What goals need to be meet for my son for this year, you think I would know this but I don't. I just have to sit down and start working on some sort of plan and see where that takes me.

That planning thread in the old forum from momof7 was in the general forum towards the bottom , that's the best I can do for you, you'll see her name sprinkled through. Maybe someone else can try to hook you up.

That planning thread in the old forum from momof7 was in the general forum towards the bottom , that's the best I can do for you, you'll see her name sprinkled through. Maybe someone else can try to hook you up.

I would appreciate it if someone could, because I don't even know what you mean by the old forum or the general forum.

Thanks!

I don't think this explanation came out the way I wanted it to.

when you sit down to plan your goals for the year or week , ok wait I can sit down and write up the books we will be using , chapters and extras but the goals for him would be....not sure?

Can any of you provide goals you placed for you kiddos in the big scheme of things so I can have a look.

:iagree: and :lurk5:

I too have found the importance of planning. I am one to fly by the seat of my pants as well. And with 12 children that just doesn't work but for most of my homeschooling years that's what I have done. The last couple of years I have planned better for each of my children. At this point I have completed next years schedule for 2 of my children in the format you see here only with my choice of titles using these subjects. In the tip row are the years books to be read and on the bottom are the weekly assignments. Usually if I start early enough I can have the next years prepared by Sept./Oct. I like to start with the older children first that way they are on their way and not waiting for me. The littler ones may not get done as quickly. But oh, what a lifesaver a plan can be.

When I am planning curriculum it helps me to think about the ultimate goal - the end of the road. What level of math do I want my child to be on when they finish highschool, for example. If I want him to be doing calculus in 12th grade then there are certain steps to take along the way, with certain time frames to meet those goals. I have 5 levels of math to get through and 6 years to do it in so I am going to have to finish so much work each year, which means so much work each month, week etc. So I work backwards and figure out how much I have to do to arrive at the destination.

If I just do this years goals I find myself going down rabbit trails. I have to plan backwards and use the end game as my destination to aim for.

Could you find a written curriculum (perhaps even text books) that was interesting? Would that make it easier for you to stick to? I know that there are days when 'just do the next thing' is all I can manage - I try to choose text books that mean that 'the next thing' is an interesting endeavour.

Best wishes

Laura

I empathize with what you are going through! This is our 6th year of homeschooling, and I have FINALLY, 3 weeks ago, sat down and plotted out EXACTLY what I expect each boy to do. Then they know what they need to be doing each day, and I can mark their spreadsheets when I have corrected what needs to be corrected. I have a space on there for me to make notes for them too.

Some of us are slower on the organization aspect than others :)

Blessings,

Rita

So can someone help me get started with my math plan? here's the run down, we are schooling year round but probably 6 weeks on 1 week off and we are using MUS Gamma this year with 30 lessons but heres where I'm not sure how to handle this. looking at long range plans l really wanted him to go MUS all the way to trigonometry, that is 8 books away ok we only have 5 years left to school, would it be impossible to fit a total of 9 books in 5 years I assume each book has 30 lessons,Gamma does. Also schooling year round is something new for us so I don't having anythng set in stone yet. Could this goal get accomplished some how without being to much strain on him ?

I too have major issues with organization and spending too much time on the computer. What works for others does not work for me. Like fro example FlyLady. I cannot do her program it is too little and too much for me. For me this is what FINALLY worked:

I have a notebook with dividers in it. In front of the dividers is a statement I wrote about why I need to follow a plan and how it will bless my husband, my children, and my home. Under that is a list of my daily goals, a very loose schedule if you will. Behind that page are calender pages I printed off my computer. I write in anything that gets scheduled as soon as it is scheduled. I have a to-do list tab, and when I think of things that need to be done, I write them on notebook paper in that tab. As they get done, I check them off. I have a homeschool section where I write stuff like conferences I want to attend, curriculum wish list, and other notes about goals and such.

Then, I have a "lists" section where I write random things such as right now I have a list in there of things I want in a home when my DH finally gets a new job and we move. I also have a list of things to ask my doctor at my next visit. I have to write these things down as I think of them or they are gone forever. I also write lists of things I want (like a standing mixer) in that sections.

After that I have a journaling section and I do my best to journal every day and reflect on how well I kept my schedule and achieved my goals.

I have seen a world of difference since starting this system.

I hope I helped you some if no more than knowing you are not alone.

Wow, great job. This is really great and I'm proud of you for finding and sticking to a system that works for you to overcome your "weakness". You have inspired me!

So can someone help me get started with my math plan? here's the run down, we are schooling year round but probably 6 weeks on 1 week off and we are using MUS Gamma this year with 30 lessons but heres where I'm not sure how to handle this. looking at long range plans l really wanted him to go MUS all the way to trigonometry, that is 8 books away ok we only have 5 years left to school, would it be impossible to fit a total of 9 books in 5 years I assume each book has 30 lessons,Gamma does. Also schooling year round is something new for us so I don't having anythng set in stone yet. Could this goal get accomplished some how without being to much strain on him ?

I find the subjects, like math, with a set number of lessons and very little in the way of "extras" to add in are the easiest to plan. It's the ones like History that have so many rabbit trails that we might want to hop down, and so many extras to add in, that bogs me down.

For your math, when I am trying to decide how many lessons we have to do in a week/month in order to finish a book by a certain time, I just do it like a math word problem. The numbers don't always come out perfect, but it gives you a little bit of an idea of where you need to go.

You have 9 books with 30 lessons each, so that's 270 lessons. You plan to school year round in 6 weeks on 1 week off, so you are schooling approximately 45 weeks per year. 45 weeks x 5 years is 225 weeks. So doing one lesson per week would leave 45 extra lessons. Spread that out over 5 years and it means that you need to do 9 extra lessons a year.

The problem is in trying to force this into a literal number.....technically to stay exactly the same each week you need to do 1.2 lessons per week (270 lessons divided by 225 weeks). But that's a bit impractical to try to plan out or implement. AND...the big thing for me on math would be that some weeks the lessons will likely be relatively easy for your son to finish in the alloted week....and other weeks he may struggle with the concept and it may take him into the following week to complete. Math is not one that I want to force us along just because the week is over (whereas history we simply cut out some extra readings, skip a project, etc) But moving along in math prematurely will cause problems in future weeks since usually the lessons build on each other. That's something that you can't plan for....because you don't yet know where he will struggle and where he will excell.

What I do with math, because it has a set number of lessons and isn't one that we do a lot of tweaking or adding in other resources like we do for history or science with extra books, DVDs, field trips, experiments etc......so for math, I simply keep plodding along. If he finishes this week's lessons on Wednesday, don't give him Thursday/Friday off from math, just have him start the next lesson. Not only will this help with retention, it will move you along at something probably close to the .2 lesson per week extra you are supposed to be doing. Then what I would do is after each 6 week period I would recalculate the number of lessons left over the 5 years and be sure that we're lowering that overage of lessons and not falling behind. Again I wouldn't be completely literate and go nuts if over 6 weeks we didn't complete 7.2 lessons....but I'd be watching that we never went less than 6 lessons in 6 weeks and be much happier if we were at 6 1/2 or 7 minimum. And if each time I did this evaluation we were only getting the minimum 6 done..... then I would probably make him do either a longer math session for the next 6 week block or during his 1 week "off" I'd make him do math only and have the week off from other subjects. At the end of a year I'd want to see that we'd done those extra 9 lessons. If you increased his math time each day by only 10 minutes you'd have almost another hour each week that he'd be spending on math....surely he can complete at least an extra lesson every five hours (50 minutes a week x 6 week block).

The other thing that I always keep in mind is to be flexible (and this really goes for all lesson plans not just math). Life will creep into your homeschool days whether you want it to or not......what happens if your child comes down with the flu and can't do school for a couple of days. What about during the holidays, will you really keep to your schedule? I greatly admire those who can stick to doing school each and every day planned, especially during holidays!, but it just doesn't happen in my house. That's actually why we school year round and DON'T schedule in weeks off. That way when we want to take a day off here or there for a life event or because a great field trip opportunity comes along, or just because the sun is shining and we can't concentrate, I don't sweat it. If I did your 6 week on 1 week off plan, I'd be very unhappy if at week 3 a great opportunity came along and I had to say "no" because of our schedule. Many times fun things happening around town aren't going to wait for our next "break".

I evaluate where we are against my goals every 3 or 4 months (or sooner if I feel like we've gotten off track). It takes me less than an hour of concentrated thought to determine if we're moving along at a good pace and staying on track.....and I also look over past work to see if we've improved or been stagnant in progress (sometimes looking at it as we go along I think we're progressing, but comparing work from 3 months ago to today's really tells me if we've made ENOUGH progress)...or perhaps even that we've worked faster than I thought we would and then I reevaluate whether that's a good thing or not (could we be doing more hands on fun things since we're moving along faster, or perhaps add in those books that I didn't put on the lesson plans because I thought they were too many).

As I said, I greatly admire those who make a plan and stick with it month after month without change, because I wish I could have that kind of confidence that my plan was right.....but I'm a tweaker at heart, and I am constantly discovering new books, ideas, websites, movies, field trips, methods, etc (reading this board guarantees that won't ever end, lol). So, I tweak much more often than yearly....probably more like 3 or 4 times "formally" and a half-dozen more times informally.