Menu

Would this be weird, wedding of a friend, offering out of town guests...

We have some friends getting married at the end of the month, they both have family out of town and I have no idea if everyone plans to just stay in a hotel or what. The other night at the bridal shower the mother of the groom just said something about it being crazy finding room for everyone, so I'm not sure if she is hosting some out of town guests or what, but we live about three miles from our church (where the reception will be) about 4 miles from the church for the wedding service. Would it be weird to tell them that we have room in our house if anyone needs a place to stay? We have a downstairs (bi-level) with a half bath & hide a bed and DD has a daybed with a trundle. Anyway, I know for our family if we ever have to travel out of town, it's sometimes a pinch to stay in a hotel, so I'm thinking it could be the same for others. Any advice?

We like to be hospitable, so I'm just wondering if this sounds too weird or not.

Thanks,

Phlox

Well, I think it's very nice of you to make the offer, but personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't like the idea of strangers staying at my house, and in all honesty, even if relatives were visiting, they'd be staying in a hotel. The only exception I have ever made is for my MIL when she was alive. (My own parents lived locally.)

But that's just me. I'm not proud of being the way I am, but it's the way I was brought up and it has always worked for me. We don't do overnight guests, and we don't do unannounced guests. Nobody drops in; they know they have to call in advance. I was raised in a household that was quite formal, and some of the old habits have stuck with me.

In your case, since you sound like you wouldn't mind the company, I would only ask if having these extra houseguests will be a nuisance when you're rushing around at the last minute, getting your family ready for the wedding. Some houseguests expect to be entertained and waited upon hand and foot; that could be a real pain when you're already busy. They could also not be ready to leave for the wedding on time; will you be comfortable leaving them unattended in your home? Will you provide them with a key? These are all things to think about.

If you know some of the people who will be attending the wedding and want to invite them to stay with you, I guess that would be fine, but would you really be comfortable with total strangers staying in your house overnight with your kids in the house?

Sorry to sound so paranoid, but I would be concerned about my ds's personal safety if a stranger were staying overnight in the house.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman