Menu

To buy or not to buy...Singapore Math HIG

I will be using Singapore Math for the first time this Fall. My dd will be in 2nd grade, and I have decided to buy the 1B extra practice (to get warmed up), 2A tb and wb, and 2B tb and wb. My main question is do I need to buy the HIG's for 2A and 2B?? I have a Chemical Engineering degree and L-O-V-E math. Is the HIG just providing help to those who aren't as in love with math as I am or does it actually give you lesson plans, etc. Let me know what you think! Thanks, Heather

Well, we've done through level 3 (almost finished) and I am just now beginning to feel a need for an HIG, primarily so that I have an answer key because the number of problems has increased. However, not having looked at one, I can't really tell you what you may or may not be missing.

I just got my HIG and materials for 1A and 1B of the Standard Edition. And I almost did not. But reading through them this week I'm seeing quite a few ideas I thought were my own independently arrived at "strokes of genius" right there in the HIG. :lol:

And I'm hoping I'll find many more great ideas that I had not come up with or considered before I'm done reading these. So I'm quite enthusiastic about the HIGs thus far. I could have easily gotten through the workbooks without them, but there are ideas for adding layers of enrichment to the math program that are highly valuable and I'm glad I got them.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We've been through 1A-1B this year. I got the HIGs and actually use them. Often times it gives other activities and also ideas for using simple manipulatives to reinforce ideas. I got the 2A-2B HIGs and they look to be pretty similar. I could have easily gotten by without any of them. If money is not a consideration, I'd get them. If money's tight, I'd skip it. HTH

Just wanted to add, I'm using the Standards Ed. as well.

Edited by littlewigglebutts

And I'm hoping I'll find many more great ideas that I had not come up with or considered before I'm done reading these. So I'm quite enthusiastic about the HIGs thus far. I could have easily gotten through the workbooks without them, but there are ideas for adding layers of enrichment to the math program that are highly valuable and I'm glad I got them.

:iagree:

As a side note, I'm switching from US to STD Ed. and I really really like the STD ed. HIG's a lot better than the ones for US Ed.

I have never seen the HIG. I have been using Singapore since Earlybird (currently on 3A). I haven't yet felt the need. And I'm not mathy.

Wendy, not being "mathy" may be the best reason to get the HIGs. A quick over-view of "next year" (which starts now) makes me wonder if we won't get at least as much (if not more) out of the HIG as out of the textbook/workbooks.

I've spent way too much time delving into elementary math education, and I'm still finding these valuable.

Just a thought.

Bill

:iagree:

As a side note, I'm switching from US to STD Ed. and I really really like the STD ed. HIG's a lot better than the ones for US Ed.

Interesting. I've not seen the ones for the US Edition, but the Standards Edition of 1A and 1B impress me.

Bill

I'm mathy--taught high school math. I was curious what was in the HIG and found the ones for year 2 used and went ahead and got them. I opened them a couple of times but never really used them. I find that my brain thinks of enough different ways to explain ideas and I really don't need them. Math is a subject that I can open the book and explain without any advanced prep (we're just finishing 3b). If you're curious, see if you can find them used. But you might find they're just one more thing taking up shelf space!

Thanks so much for all the info. I will be using the Standards Edition also which makes finding the HIG's used alot harder. I think I will buy one and see if it's helpful, then I can buy the rest.

Sounds like a good plan, especially given the definitive answers you've been given. :tongue_smilie:

Yes!

No!

Maybe!

You'll get used to it :D

Bill

Bill, I'm so glad to hear your opinion of the HIGs! I'll be starting Singapore as a supplement for my mathy ds6 in the fall and was waffling on the HIGs. I know we think similarly on math stuff, and I always appreciate reading what you have to say after all your (extensive) research, so it's good to hear they're worth it!

Audrey-loved to hear that the Standards HIGs are improved over the US Ed-I'd been wondering about that!

Thanks!

Just wanted to say hi from one ChemE to another! We are starting our HSing adventure in the fall and will be using Singapore 3 and Singapore 2. We're used 1 and 2 previously for enrichment and have not needed the HIG, but I hear there are review sheets and game ideas. I want to make sure I'm covering the material adequately since there really is very little material in the books and wkbks.

Brownie

As an fyi, for those who are looking for HIGs for the standards edition, they are available through 3B now with 4A scheduled to come out this summer. They are also adding a level 6 to the standards edition.

Unfortunately, Challenging Word Problems is going OOP and Jenny at the Singapore Math forum says she has yet to find something similarly rigorous as a replacement.

Another vote for the HIGs here. I'm not mathy, so take this with a grain of salt, but for me, the value of the HIG lies not even so much in "activity ideas" as it does in the way that it conveys conceptually the Asian math approach.

I'd be lost without the HIGs because I was NOT taught math this way and don't naturally wrap my brain around numbers this way. They've been invaluable.

On a side note: I've been using the US Ed rather than Standards (why do I hear "standards" and get a creepy crawly feeling on the back of my neck? :D). Now y'all have me rethinking.... Grrr! :glare:;)

I LOVE Singapore Math, and I am using the US edition with no immediate plans to change editions. I found the HIG very very helpful because this program teaches math in a completely different way than I was taught. While the format and spiral binding in 1A and 1B was super, I must say that it is not that way for 2A/2B. It has a regular backing and the page layout is not a nice IMHO. I "complained" to Jenny at SingaporeMath.com but there is apparently no planned changes to the US edition HIG's. I know the HIG's for the standards edition are spiral bound with a nice format, but standards edition vs US is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

It is all a lot to sort out, but keep asking questions and trust that eventually you will find what works for you!

Bill, I'm so glad to hear your opinion of the HIGs! I'll be starting Singapore as a supplement for my mathy ds6 in the fall and was waffling on the HIGs. I know we think similarly on math stuff, and I always appreciate reading what you have to say after all your (extensive) research, so it's good to hear they're worth it!

Audrey-loved to hear that the Standards HIGs are improved over the US Ed-I'd been wondering about that!

Thanks!

You know Grace, last night's reading (for me) was to plunge further into the HIGs. And I'm more convinced than ever* of their value.

Yes, we could do all the exercises in the workbooks/textbooks without them. But it's hardy the point. There is a method behind Singapore that the SE HIGs make clear.

Plus additional exercises, methods and suggestions for making concepts "concrete". And information for parents/teacher that simply is not inherent in the textbooks/workbooks.

If I didn't have the Standards Edition HIGs I would not know what I was missing, but having them my feeling is that they are an essential element of the program, maybe *the* essential element.

Goodness knows I'm prone to some "improvisation" but I'd hate to slip past the reasoning behind the Singapore method, or to by-pass complimentary skill building areas the method takes for granted (assuming the teacher has read the teacher materials) when they are not mentioned in the text.

Now some of these ideas I've either come up with on my own, or stolen from other programs....but man, what a lot of work! :D

Get them. If you don't like them, blame me :tongue_smilie:

Bill

*ever in this case being the past few days ;)

Edited by Spy Car

Thank you Bill. I love the HIG's and I'm always encouraging folks to get them--bu I come from a background of math phobia and I wasn't ever entirely sure they were completely necessary for everyone, though I've long suspected that the "soul" of Singapore is in the HIG's. Thanks for this!

(Pst. Why does the alligator want to eat the five on the left more than the five on the right? I thought he always wants to eat the biggest meal he can?)

Edited by Alana in Canada

Just one more plug for them.....I love them. While sometimes they've sat on my shelf unused (except to check answers quickly), I love having them for (1) the schedule (there are times when they recommend progressing through the books, reviews and practices in a non-linear manner to help with retention/review) combining the textbook and workbook and the CDROMs (2) the answers for all the problems (there are times when I can solve the problem in my algebraic way, but need a kick-in-the-pants to solve it the SM way -- there is a difference a the primary mathematics level) and (3) for the extra math games, mental math drills and extra helps to teach topics.

I find it a valuable resource that Im happy to have in my bag of tricks.

Thank you Bill. I love the HIG's and I'm always encouraging folks to get them--bu I come from a background of math phobia and I wasn't ever entirely sure they were completely necessary for everyone, though I've long suspected that the "soul" of Singapore is in the HIG's. Thanks for this!

I'm thinking your suspicion is correct :001_smile:

(Pst. Why does the alligator want to eat the five on the left more than the five on the right? I thought he always wants to eat the biggest meal he can?)

This I will not teach. And I'll cut it out of the book if I have to :D

Bill

You know Grace, last night's reading (for me) was to plunge further into the HIGs. And I'm more convinced than ever* of their value.

Yes, we could do all the exercises in the workbooks/textbooks without them. But it's hardy the point. There is a method behind Singapore that the SE HIGs make clear.

Plus additional exercises, methods and suggestions for making concepts "concrete". And information for parents/teacher that simply is not inherent in the textbooks/workbooks.

If I didn't have the Standards Edition HIGs I would not know what I was missing, but having them my feeling is that they are an essential element of the program, maybe *the* essential element.

Goodness knows I'm prone to some "improvisation" but I'd hate to slip past the reasoning behind the Singapore method, or to by-pass complimentary skill building areas the method takes for granted (assuming the teacher has read the teacher materials) when they are not mentioned in the text.

Now some of these ideas I've either come up with on my own, or stolen from other programs....but man, what a lot of work! :D

Get them. If you don't like, them blame me :tongue_smilie:

Bill

*ever in this case being the past few days ;)

Thanks, Bill: The bolded statements above spell out what I was trying to convey in my advocacy for the HIGs. Yes, I could lead my child to answer the questions and solve the problems accurately, but I'm certain that I would not be leading her in the Singapore way, if you know what I mean. This is NOT how I learned math, and it has nothing to do with the pretty pictures in the textbook. Singapore is a way of thinking about and communicating math concepts that was totally foreign to me. (Pardon the pun.;))

If the standards HIG is so much better, what am I trading off if I switch from US edition to standards edition (I am assuming I need to use the standard edn text and wkbk if I am using the standards HIG)? We've always used the US edition (for enrichment bc right now the kids are in public school). Sell me on the standards edition for next year's plunge into HSing.

Brownie

If the standards HIG is so much better, what am I trading off if I switch from US edition to standards edition (I am assuming I need to use the standard edn text and wkbk if I am using the standards HIG)? We've always used the US edition (for enrichment bc right now the kids are in public school). Sell me on the standards edition for next year's plunge into HSing.

Brownie

:lurk5:

Brownie

You will have to be careful because the scope and sequence is not the same. They have both of them posted over on Singapore math, so you would need to compare them to make sure you don't miss anything.

Next you also want to see when the HIG for the Standards Edition is coming out, they haven't all been published yet.

Other than that I don't see it being a bid deal either way.

Heather

Brownie

Take a look at the following:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSUSandSTD2008.pdf

The level 6 standards is not in the scope and sequence as it doesn't come out until August. HIGs are currently available through 3b, with 4a slated to come out this summer. They got all the previous ones out this school year, so I'm hopeful that they will get the remaining ones out as quickly (we are going into 4a next).

Both have extra practice books, standards doesn't have Intensive Practice, but we don't use that anyway as the regular program is as "kicked up" as we can handle right now ;), sometimes more so. I believe I saw a mention that they hoped to have an IP type book for standards eventually, not sure where that is on the priority list. Standards has test books, but haven't used those.

Challenging Word Problems can be used with either, but it is going OOP this year, so I went ahead and bought up my remaining levels. We, like a lot of folks, use it a year behind anyway.

I like the layout of the standards edition better, personally (we've used level 3 a/b).

Yes, Bill:

"There is a method behind Singapore that the SE HIGs make clear."

And that is exactly what I'm looking for!!!!!! I've looked into every one of their teaching method books, and obviously what I need is right in the HIGs!

By doing RS A-C, I finally learned how to teach math their way, and it opened up my closed-to-math mind about the language of math. So now I'm a huge believer in understanding the method the math program is using, and teaching it that way, especially with something as successful as Singapore. Thanks for the reassurance, because it is a big chunk of change to spend if it isn't necessary. I am now convinced that it IS necessary (for me) and can't wait to order! It sounds like it does exactly what I was hoping for.

Yes, Bill:

"There is a method behind Singapore that the SE HIGs make clear."

And that is exactly what I'm looking for!!!!!! I've looked into every one of their teaching method books, and obviously what I need is right in the HIGs!

By doing RS A-C, I finally learned how to teach math their way, and it opened up my closed-to-math mind about the language of math. So now I'm a huge believer in understanding the method the math program is using, and teaching it that way, especially with something as successful as Singapore. Thanks for the reassurance, because it is a big chunk of change to spend if it isn't necessary. I am now convinced that it IS necessary (for me) and can't wait to order! It sounds like it does exactly what I was hoping for.

In case you are not aware of it, this May (any day now) Singapore Math will be releasing a new book called "The Singapore Model Method".

I'm looking very forward to this book very much, as (like you) if I'm going to use a pedagogical method to teach math I certainly want to understand it throughly.

And I still have plenty to learn about the Singapore way.

Bill

If you are so into making stuff up, and you have the HIGs, is it important to have the text or workbook for the lower years? Just curious. (This is a serious question.)

I could not duplicate the very systematic approaches in the workbooks and textbooks, and I wouldn't dream of trying. I've got more than enough on my plate already.

And while I love the idea of incorporating ideas and elements from other programs, unless I have a change of heart (and I don't expect to) we'll be treating Singapore as our "spine" and I want to make sure I get this one "right". I've already made some sheets to reenforce some of the workbook lessons (naturally :tongue_smilie:) but I wouldn't dream of going without the workbooks/textbooks.

Bill (nuts, but not that nuts :D)

OK, what if you get the HIG and the text but not the workbooks?

If someone put a gun to my head, at level 1A (after less than one week owning the books so it's a less than fully informed decision) I'd pick the workbook over the textbook. But why?

Bill

I was just wondering today to what degree the HIG can stand alone.

I have kind of a gut-level aversion to workbooks for small kids. (I'm not sure my kids feel the same way!)

I don't want to get away from the point of this thread, but I am still attracted to the Japanese texts in some ways over the Singapore, and I feel that texts, workbooks, HIG, CWP etc gets to be a lot of "stuff," especially when I have the AL Abacus book as well.

Well, I am going to strongly disagree with Spycar Bill:tongue_smilie: We love the SM TB here. I am using 1A right now and you would think it is story-time when I sit down on the couch with the TB.:001_smile:

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the HIG alone. I agree that it's best to do hands-on stuff at 4yo. Wait until she's a bit older and do it all:001_smile:

I was just wondering today to what degree the HIG can stand alone.

I have kind of a gut-level aversion to workbooks for small kids. (I'm not sure my kids feel the same way!)

I don't want to get away from the point of this thread, but I am still attracted to the Japanese texts in some ways over the Singapore, and I feel that texts, workbooks, HIG, CWP etc gets to be a lot of "stuff," especially when I have the AL Abacus book as well.

My thought is that you (and to a far lesser degree I) could absolutely teach a child elementary math without the workbooks and the textbooks from Singapore. There is no question about that in my mind.

What I could not do is teach the "Singapore method" without their materials, just like I couldn't teach the Right Start method with only an Al abacus. Your math knowledge far exceeds my own, so for all the improvising and juggling I'm happy to do, I want to have one "method" rock-solid. And barring a change of heart, that will be Singapore for us.

Bill

Well, I am going to strongly disagree with Spycar Bill:tongue_smilie: We love the SM TB here. I am using 1A right now and you would think it is story-time when I sit down on the couch with the TB.:001_smile:

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the HIG alone. I agree that it's best to do hands-on stuff at 4yo. Wait until she's a bit older and do it all:001_smile:

Ok were doing story-time tonight. I did mention "gun to my head", right? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Bill, I posted a query both here and also on the SingMath forums about the Model Method book. Someone (may have been siloam?) mentioned that the Model book is better for further down the line. Please look for my post there about teacher helps books and which ones are best for practical purposes-I think it would be helpful to you, as it was to me. (Here: :auto: I went and found it:

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266)

I'm definitely getting the HIGs, but I would love to buy the Model book and one of the other two mentioned in that thread for some jazzy poolside reading this summer! :D

3BlessingMom-I am sorely tempted to buy the TB just to compare to the HIG-all the numerous threads I've read on these boards have some diehard TB lovers!

My thought is that you (and to a far lesser degree I) could absolutely teach a child elementary math without the workbooks and the textbooks from Singapore. There is no question about that in my mind.

What I could not do is teach the "Singapore method" without their materials, just like I couldn't teach the Right Start method with only an Al abacus. Your math knowledge far exceeds my own, so for all the improvising and juggling I'm happy to do, I want to have one "method" rock-solid. And barring a change of heart, that will be Singapore for us.

I think teaching the basics is in many ways significantly more difficult than the more advanced things, and it can be so easy for me to forget that things like sorting by color are challenging when one is little! Further analysis into methodology may be in order. (I find math much more interesting than other subjects, so I spend way more time thinking about how to do math with my kids.)

I was just pondering if the HIGs are robust enough to be used minus one of the supplements, or must one have them all. Is there enough explanation? Do the books overlap extensively?

(And incidentally, my interest in the Japanese books has to do with really liking their order of introduction of topics over the 6 years and the geometry stuff, which strikes me as, well, fresh, every time I look at it, although I haven't bought any of the books themselves, but have mined the Global Ed. Resources website for all I can extract from it, but to discuss that, I should go back to the thread on those books....)

But reading through them this week I'm seeing quite a few ideas I thought were my own independently arrived at "strokes of genius" right there in the HIG. :lol:

Bill

:iagree: I also agree that without the HIG, I just wouldn't have known what I was missing. It was very important to me to present problem solving "the Singapore Way." Dh and I are amazed at how well dd grasped the concepts.

I think teaching the basics is in many ways significantly more difficult than the more advanced things, and it can be so easy for me to forget that things like sorting by color are challenging when one is little! Further analysis into methodology may be in order. (I find math much more interesting than other subjects, so I spend way more time thinking about how to do math with my kids.)

I was just pondering if the HIGs are robust enough to be used minus one of the supplements, or must one have them all. Is there enough explanation? Do the books overlap extensively?

(And incidentally, my interest in the Japanese books has to do with really liking their order of introduction of topics over the 6 years and the geometry stuff, which strikes me as, well, fresh, every time I look at it, although I haven't bought any of the books themselves, but have mined the Global Ed. Resources website for all I can extract from it, but to discuss that, I should go back to the thread on those books....)

As you might recall I purchased the Japanese math books (the textbook and workbooks) for level one. And while we've used them, and enjoyed them, I don't feel we (or should I say I ) got the full picture of the Japanese program, just as I'd doubt a person who skips the HIGs or TMs "gets" the full picture of Singapore.

Tonight, as promised we did "story-time" with the Text-book, making up "stories" and number bonds for such things a rabbits in their burrows and rabbits out of their burrows.

Now in some ways this "cartoonish" stuff seems like a step-back from more mathematically "pure" exercises in programs like MEP, and are slightly less appealing to me (at least) at this point. And I don't think they were as mentally challenging for my son.

However, I'm seeing where they are going with these things and am going to stick with the program, because there are logical steps and methods being developed, and if I have to deal with some clowns and balloons, so be it :D

And talking though the "stories" does exercise a different (and in my son a slightly less developed) portion of his mind, and should begin to equip him for the eventual encounter with the famous Singapore word problems.

So patience is my watch-word of the day. And I have confidence in the proven track record of the method.

If you do decide to do Singapore, I'd advise going all in. You could get the HIGs and steal many good ideas but I think you'd end up with only a part of the Singapore picture. All the elements reenforce one another (based on my limited introduction) and while there is some overlap it is far from complete.

Bill

I debated the HIG but ended up getting it for 1A. I am SO GLAD that I did. And I "get" math. It is very helpful.

Since this is your 1st time with the program, I'd get everything. That way you'd know for sure what works best for your kids.

I found that a neighboring library that has at least one HIG, and, as they participate in a materials sharing scheme, I will take a look at it to get an idea of just what's in them.

I also feel that the Japanese program is highly dependent on their "lesson study" approach, wherein there is deep discussion of what exactly will illustrate the point best, and so forth, and I suspect that's true for Singapore to at least some degree. High amounts of teacher training seem to correlate with good scores on the math tests, which is why the Singapore method got famous to begin with.

I found that a neighboring library that has at least one HIG, and, as they participate in a materials sharing scheme, I will take a look at it to get an idea of just what's in them.

I also feel that the Japanese program is highly dependent on their "lesson study" approach, wherein there is deep discussion of what exactly will illustrate the point best, and so forth, and I suspect that's true for Singapore to at least some degree. High amounts of teacher training seem to correlate with good scores on the math tests, which is why the Singapore method got famous to begin with.

Yes, what you're saying about the teacher the high level of teacher training makes sense to me. And that's where the HIG and the forth-coming "Method" book from Singapore will (hopefully) give me some insight into the kind of pedagogical training a teacher of these materials might be exposed to in Singapore (at least a small dose).

With the Tokyo Shoseki Mathematics for Elementary School (Japanese Math) I didn't have any of the teacher materials, and while I tried my best to imagine "lesson study" on my own (not a totally invaluable exercise) I'm certain I didn't get everything out of Japanese Math that I could have had I had a better comprehension of the full program.

Whatever the merits of Singapore vs Japanese math with-in their respective educational systems, for home use here the materials for Singapore are plainly more "mature" in their offerings. All the supplements, on-line support, and a community of users. With the Japanese math, no matter how good it may be, you'd be a bit of a lone-wolf (at least for now). Trail-blazer? :D

I'm curious to know your impression of the HIG. I also wonder how different the US Ed HIGs are from the Standards Edition HIGs? I've never seen a US Ed version.

Has anyone else compared the US and SE versions of the Home Instructors Guides?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car