Menu

Open the box and go science curriculum

caitlinsmom

I am trying to nail down the last of our curriculum for next year and am just stumped on science! I know REAL science comes highly reccommended so that is on my list. But my understanding is that I will have to put together the materials list right?

What I need is an experiment heavy, compleatly ready to go science curriculum. I need it to be totally inclusive as I dont have the "normal" household items like corks, plastic bottles, soda cans etc as we dont buy this stuff ever.

Any suggestions? We are working on earth science next year 2nd grade.

Edited by caitlinsmom

I would second K12 (that is secular) but it can be pricey. Have you looked at the Christian Kids Explore series? I like the way that program is laid out with short lessons, hands-on projects or experiments, etc. Check it out at http://www.brightideaspress.com. Apologia's elem. science is good, too, and you can buy kits that accompany each book that will have all the materials you will need for the experiments.

Just seeing the phrase, "only common household items," gets my shackles up. Why would a CORK be a common household item? Who the heck buys straws every week? We drink water. From glasses. With our lips. :rollseyes:

There isn't anything that's really complete. I searched and searched and they all said, "nothing left out!" but they all left something out.

The best one I found was homeschoolscience.

I will second Rose's recommendation of homeschoolscience. I used both kits this year with my 8 and 6 year old. They were a hit. The only disadvantage (of everything included) is that books are not included. Recommendations are made and we were able to find them at our library plus some others.

I have Noeo Physics 1 to use for next year. It looks awesome. The advantage of Noeo is that the books are included.

We are using NOEO Chemistry this year and we haven't had to purchase anything. I think the only thing we had to add was cornstarch and food dye, which we had around. It comes w/prepackaged experiment kits so it is pretty inclusive. It is laid out as four lessons a week, but I find the lessons very short, so we do two lessons, twice a week. We don't ALWAYS do science, so we'll still end up spending about a year on it. FYI, because it comes with all the books and experiment kits, plus the TM, it is pricey!!

Have you used these? Most of the earth science that I looked at was for 3rd grade and up. Can these be simplified a bit to be interesting for a 1st grader?

:) Thanks for sharing that link, I like the look of those kits!

ETA: Wow some of those are expensive though!

The Nutshells are great for completeness of materials but they use the "discovery" method. What this means in a practical sense is that there is no "right" answer, so there is not any indication of expected results or journal answers. Usually I know what they are getting at and so I can guide my student to the appropriate response or result, but sometimes an answer key would be most helpful.

I want to use either easy classical or REAL science, but neither of them come with kits. We like science to be experiment heavy too, but we have trouble getting everything we need. We tried Sonlight and there wern't enough experiments for us. I looked at Noeo and it looks to light on the experiments as well. From the samples it looks like 1 per week. We need at least 1 per day. We don't drink soda so I have to go out and buy soda and dump it out in order to do experiments and that is annoying.

I'm using REAL Science Biology with my son, but I have the same problem with not having the "common household items" on hand. REAL Science has a nice materials list in the front, so I just put a wanted ad on Freecycle for all the items I needed for the first ten weeks that I didn't have. I spent an hour or so driving around one morning picking everything up (many people could supply multiple items, thankfully) and got myself a free supplies kit! Gotta love Freecycle. I'll do it again for the next ten weeks when the time comes.

I'm using REAL Science Biology with my son, but I have the same problem with not having the "common household items" on hand. REAL Science has a nice materials list in the front, so I just put a wanted ad on Freecycle for all the items I needed for the first ten weeks that I didn't have. I spent an hour or so driving around one morning picking everything up (many people could supply multiple items, thankfully) and got myself a free supplies kit! Gotta love Freecycle. I'll do it again for the next ten weeks when the time comes.

This is a fantastic idea! I never would have thought about it. Thanks for sharing.

I printed off the list for the Christian Kids science and it didnt seem too bad and it wasnt filled with much that I dont have.

http://www.brightideaspress.com/samples/CKEES_Materials_List.doc

Is this list pretty close the to REAL Science program? I think I am looking at both of those and then supplementing experiments with a (yet to be found) activity book.

• 2 weeks later...

That is brilliant! :D

I am going to do this when we start Biology in a month or so!

We're planning to use Sonlight science for next year because it is completely put together, including the supplies. They have levels K-6.

A few weeks ago, I bought the science kits (consumable and non-consumable) and the dvd only. I let my kids watch the dvd, and do the experiments they are interested in. They follow it up with reading from our extensive set of science books at home or a trip to the library if they are interested. So far they have made simple circuits with lightbulbs and batteries and tested everything in the house for conductivity. Even the 4yo can make a lightbulb circuit.