Menu

Circa Folks: How are they holding up?

I'm still loving them, but I guess I'm not as obsessed as I was back in the fall :D

I've made my 4 oldest kids TOG notebooks, by units. Just today, I put their first 3 unit notebooks away. Unit 4, here we come! I do love the flexibility of the system. . . . . I thought I would use it more myself for personal materials, but that never happened.

To save $$, I bought each child one set of the clear plastic 8.5x11 covers. Each quarter, their new notebook goes in the quality covers. Then, I just use plain old cardstock to "archive" their old notebooks. So far, that has worked just fine! The cardstock wouldn't hold up -as a cover- to every day wear and tear, but for storage it's great. We do have cardstock pages inserted in the notebooks as dividers, and those have held up all year long. Just as a cover, I doubt it would be sturdy enough.

Once, I did laminate the cardstock, and then Circa punched it. That worked well, but then I ran out of laminate and resorted to using plain cardstock.

This is SUCH a rambling post! Sorry! Hope you can glean something from my experience.

LOVE IT! I have both the hard plastic covers and then the lovely bookcloth cover-both are incredibly sturdy. One is my co-op stuff and one is my planner, so they are thrown in bags and dragged with me everywhere without a problem. They are used EVERY day, more than anything else I own, and they are still in perfect condition (had them since the fall.) I love that I can fold it right over like a spiral notebook so I can work on my lap if need be. It's a nice slim line to it too, unlike a binder. And nothing falls out of it! I have the big punch and it is heavy duty, great quality.

They hold up to kids too-dd uses hers for Bible study notebook and it's working out great. I have a few different sizes of the paper so I can write small list-type notes on the smaller sheets, and stick them right in at the appropriate spot. It's so convenient that you can just pull things out to rearrange or put a list from it on your desk or whatever (just like the video on their website!) Also works fine with a little heavier stock printer paper, so I can print things off my computer, punch it, and put it right in-you don't have to use their paper. I do sometimes use the regular weight printer paper, and it's not quite as good, but still usable.

I don't know HOW I lived before Circa-it is my all-time favorite homeschooling product (second and third in line are my Desk Apprentice and Panasonic electric pencil sharpener.) Definitely the best money I ever spent on paper product type of thing! Highly, highly recommended.

They hold up fine. I got the punch and a bunch of paper; I will never use it all. If you want to give something a shot, let me know and I can send you some paper. Let me know the size.

By the way, did you know Franklin Covey now has a planner in the Circa system? I am using it this year, and it is pretty useful, once you adjust yourself to it.

One thing I do NOT like about the Circa as compared with a three-ring is that it is not flexible beyond our family. So once I have something "circa-punched", it's pretty hard to share out. The thing I like better about Circa is that you don't have to have such a thick binder and you can use all sorts of paper a lot easer which is helpful whne you are keeping a collection of, say, medical records together.

That help?

Look for a PM from me in a few minutes...

So happy to "see" you, Patty!!!

And I've hooked two of my friends on the system too. I really like the two notebooks I use as journals . . . one is a junior size that I carry as a daily calendar, to do list, fitness/diet journal and I also have an 8 1/2 x 11 inch size that I use as a combined nature/personal journal.

I love that you can add pages of different sizes and different origins anywhere in the notebook using the punch.

My only complaint? I'm in Canada and the shipping and exchange makes the purchase a bit extravagant.

With fear and trembling at being shot for asking...

What is it?? It sounds like it will revolutionize my life or at least my two messy kids with papers sloughing everywhere as they walk.

There was a buzz about the Circa notebook system last fall. I did not buy then, but have had a nagging curiosity about them... I love organizing and paper products, and the site just makes me giddy. (Plus, my prize notebooks i made for this year are already in shambles. It looks like I should have put the Staples tab towards the Circa stuff!)

Here is the Circa homepage where you can look around.

Here is the introductory pack (a sweet deal- you can use the coupon to buy a punch)

Okey doke!!!

So I have 2 incredibly messy kiddos (both boys of course LOL) THeir notebook looks just horrible. Papers are everywhere, they fall out, they lose everything. If I wanted to try this to hold their history notebooks, would it work? Both kids get copy notebook pages, plus lined papers, plus spelling lists and such. By the end of the week, I'm picking up all those papers LOL!

I absolutely see where I would love this for my journal/planner.

Do you need to used "heavy" paper, or will ordinary laser-paper work?

And the rings, are they "ridiculously" expensive?

Bill (cheap-skate :tongue_smilie:)

I have used regular "laser" paper and it works fine, but i am happiest with the 24lb paper i pick up at Sams/Costco, i actually prefer that for all my printing needs these days...... sigh.... Even cheap lined paper works and stays in though!

I'm using rings i bought on eBay - you can find the "dealer" posted. The sizes are different than the levenger names, so that might throw you. They are rollabind brand - Staples did/does carry them too.

I"m very happy with my purchase - and look forward to using it more as this HOmesat recording chaos winds down!

Our Circa Books have been holding up great! Thanks for the tip Karen!

The discs are not overly expensive and there are great deals on ebay for compatible discs. I am thinking about going to a storage system without the covers just to keep those for repeated use (they are more expensive).

I make cardstock covers for our notebooks and use HP printer paper. The kids have much less tear out factor than with a 3 ring notebook and I love having everything done and in one place. It should also be noted that I can usually replace any sheets they remove back into the notebook. I have a circa notebook that I use for myself, calendar, planner, lesson planner etc. I put much more wear and tear than the kids and it is holding up just great!

Highly recommend this system. I have been loving it for the function, flexibility, ease of transport, etc.

Here is the introductory pack (a sweet deal- you can use the coupon to buy a punch)

Hummmm, tempted.

My question is how do they store? Do the big rings make it hard to stick in a bookshelf? (Do they make pulling the adjacent books out a two-hand job, do they get pulled out as you pull, are they troublesome stacking? Are the plastic covers overly slippery?)

Where do you stash yours. Anything hard to put away in my house ends up crowding out art/dining/school table!

I have used regular "laser" paper and it works fine, but i am happiest with the 24lb paper i pick up at Sams/Costco, i actually prefer that for all my printing needs these days...... sigh.... Even cheap lined paper works and stays in though!

I'm using rings i bought on eBay - you can find the "dealer" posted. The sizes are different than the levenger names, so that might throw you. They are rollabind brand - Staples did/does carry them too.

I"m very happy with my purchase - and look forward to using it more as this HOmesat recording chaos winds down!

Thank you Tracey :001_smile:

Bill

They go on the shelf just like any other book. No the plastic (at least on the covers I have) is not slippery. The discs don't really stick out sideways that much so they go on the shelf like a book as thick as the disc would be. (Does that make sense?)

Honestly I love these notebooks and as I said earlier, if international shipping and exchange wasn't so prohibitive I would purchase more for other uses.

Sorry-my mistake--

I've been using Epson Bright White Paper (24 lb.) bought off Amazon with the Circa books. No problems with paper weight and the Epson holds up to the fact that I print/copy on both sides of the paper before putting in the circa. Pen marks don't bleed through either.

The notebooks fit on a shelf just like a book. Without the plastic covers they would be a bit weaker and floppy.

Do you need to used "heavy" paper, or will ordinary laser-paper work?

And the rings, are they "ridiculously" expensive?

Bill (cheap-skate :tongue_smilie:)

Just about any paper will hold, but I like at least 24lb laser paper, and really like 28lb (but that's true for me in general). The cost increase is not signifigant.

Just about any paper will hold, but I like at least 24lb laser paper, and really like 28lb (but that's true for me in general). The cost increase is not signifigant.

Good to know. I've been printing more and more materials lately, and I've wondered about the best way to keep these. The easy "in and out" of the circa seems appealing, but I've wondered about downsides, including costs.

Bill

Good to know. I've been printing more and more materials lately, and I've wondered about the best way to keep these. The easy "in and out" of the circa seems appealing, but I've wondered about downsides, including costs.

Bill

The costs are an initial layout for the punch (you might find one on ebay) and the rings (ebay again for deals). The only other cost would be for heavier paper if that isn't what you're used too.

Covers are up to you. You could certainly buy some heavier card stock or covers from Kinkos and punch them yourself. I have in mind the thinner plastic covers they use for report binding. You can also laminate covers but, in my experience, it would be better to leave a border to punch through rather than through the cover itself-that can peel a bit with time due to the "broken seal" aspect of the lamination.

The costs are an initial layout for the punch (you might find one on ebay) and the rings (ebay again for deals). The only other cost would be for heavier paper if that isn't what you're used too.

Covers are up to you. You could certainly buy some heavier card stock or covers from Kinkos and punch them yourself. I have in mind the thinner plastic covers they use for report binding. You can also laminate covers but, in my experience, it would be better to leave a border to punch through rather than through the cover itself-that can peel a bit with time due to the "broken seal" aspect of the lamination.

You've got me thinking :001_smile:

Bill

I've successfully punched the poly binders you can get cheap at back to school time. I trimmed them down to the size i wanted and had a study cover for 20 cents :D

I have some with the thinner poly report coves and those work too, they just don't stand up well. I'm using cardstock on a stack of reports that i use weekly and it's working well - but it just s**** on the desk the rest of the week too.

Well, I have mixed reviews, honestly. It works great for my 11 year old girl. I use regular copy paper. But, my 10yod is pretty hard on his and the papers come out and he forgets to put them back in and.....you know the drill. THey are handy, but even though I've used them all year this year, I'm thinking that I might not do it next year. I'm undecided. No one else seems to have this problem, so beware if you have a 10yob who is pretty hard on his papers. :-)