Menu

What is your favorite part of American history?

I'm mainly asking the US citizens on here, but feel free to chime in if you aren't. I was thinking about it, because my DS19's favorite is the Civil War, my DD12 and DD10's favorite is the Revolutionary War, and my dh's is WW2. I got to wondering if anybody has a favorite that ISN'T a war LOL.

I don't have a favorite, I don't think.

Sure I'll play. My favorite time in history has to be with the explorers. I try to imagine what it must have been like going out into uncharted waters trying to find out what is there. I think they had alot of guts to do that and I've always admired them for that. I always try to imagine what it must have been like when they landed, to see what they saw. What was it like to be a European and to see and Indian for the first time. To see the raw beauty of the land where they landed. I find it all fascinating. I think their behavior with the natives once they landed could have been better, but IMHO it still doesn't diminish the courage that it takes to make a voyage like that into the unknown. :)

Honestly, US History is my favorite, all of it, so it's hard to pick just one time period, but since you asked, I'd have to say colonial times, and especially The Revolutionary War - what our founding fathers did was amazing, and brave, and I am so grateful for all of the sacrifices they made for my freedom today. I think the westward expansion, i.e. Little House on the Prairie times were very interesting too.

the pioneers. I think about how hard it must of been to leave your relatives and home to move west knowing you would never see them again. My great, great (don't recall how many greats ) left Scotland as a young man around or just before the Civil War, went to Illinois, married an American Indian and moved to Texas and all my relatives, except me still live in Texas. Of course he never saw Scotland or his family there again.

I met dh in Texas in college and moved with him to New Jersey where we now live. His ancesters came into Ellis Island and moved to NJ and have never left the state except for college and they still live here.

DD11 likes Lewis and Clark's expedition.

DD14 tends toward Civil War-era topics for her National History Day projects, so I'm guessing that's her favorite.

When I was younger dd's age, I loved the Little House series, and liked hearing about and imagining the pioneer's lives, so I guess that was mine.

DH enjoys the WWII-era aircraft at the Air Force Museum, and generally likes to read/hear stories from that time.

So not all wars or war-related. Maybe it's because it's easiest to identify eras by the wars that were fought? Thanks for asking - interesting to contemplate.

I am interested in learning more about the 1920s and 30s.

Mostly I like reading about people/events that are little-known. For instance, I just read a book about American prisoners of war during the Revolutionary War. Never knew they existed!

Hey, you just reminded me! My favorite is the Crash and the Great Depression. Splendor in the Grass is one of my all-time favorite movies!

WWII, the American aspect, not the atrocities. I really like reading about how we, as a country, banded together. Women working. Victory gardens. It was a time of great patriotism, pride and perseverence. There's a great book I borrowed for the kids last year that had activities and stories about WWII. My boys are young so we only covered Hitler as "the bad guy". But they had a great time doing some of the activities like making a chart of cloud formations and learning how people recycled back then.