Menu

Whiteboard or chalkboard?

This is my last question, because I have to get some of this work done!

I could use a small board for some lessons (mainly math). I came across chalkboards that are just the right size at a local school supply store, so I'm wondering if there are drawbacks to either type. The schoolkid in me is drawn to the chalkboard :D But whiteboards are probably easier to clean, and I wouldn't have to deal with chalky hands and erasers.

What do you think? Which would you prefer?

TIA!

I think it depends on the room you have it in. Specifically the location in the room.

I've used both and for us the chalkboard (which I made) was a better solution (dust and all).

Our classroom is mostly windows (picture 2 walls that are all window, 1 short wall with 2 doors, and 1 wall that has a door at the end). Because of this, the only place to hang either type was directly across from a wall of very tall windows. What we found was that if the marker was not cleaned off pretty much immediately it would bake on and was near to impossible to clean off.

Plus, when the boys were little they always wanted to draw or write on the board. Being little they didn't always manage to keep the artwork on the board.:) So again, chalk was a better solution.

Well, I have a conglomeration of both. I love that sound of writing on a chalkboard. It just gives me the warmest feeling!! I know you are thinking I'm really weird, but just saying.

I have little chalkboards and I buy the dust free chalk. I think it is easier for things like beginning handwriting and we often use them for spelling. I also painted a wall beside our kitchen with chalk paint where I keep a saying and notes we make. We love that board and it was a place that stayed nasty from fingerprints. Now, that is where we keep all notes to each other like to-do's, day activities, etc.

Now, I also have at least 6 white boards in the house, not counting that each child has one. Some of mine are big and others are small. I use them everywhere. I just bought a small one at Walmart yesterday because it is magnetic and I can hang my markers on it. I have one big one over my desk for planning, great websites, notes to myself about daily schooling, etc. I keep one in the room that only has sayings.

That said, I think you can live with both. The white board is less messy but the markers are more. You can get cheap ones but they smell horrible. Chalkboards are good if you use dust free chalk but they are somewhat messier.

I'm not much help because I use both.

The schoolkid in me is drawn to the chalkboard :D But whiteboards are probably easier to clean, and I wouldn't have to deal with chalky hands and erasers.

What do you think? Which would you prefer?

TIA!

Just as an FYI, my schoolkid kids use personal whiteboards now in school and the teacher uses one as well. The kids love them and they are easier to clean.

We have both. I don't like chalkboards because of the mess and the sound. The kids only use it for play. If you look into buying chalk online you can get good quality, creamy, non-dusty chalk. Using quality chalk, is the only way I would consider a chalk board.

We have several white boards. Wall size, personal size 10x12, easel, mid size 12x18. We use them all at different times. I love the wall size for teaching more than one kid or using it for a break from regular lessons. I will let the kids write their math on it if they want too.

The personal size is nice for quick instructions, lists for the day, or for programs like Sequential Spelling that you grade as you go along, and can just erase and rewrite along the way.

The mid size is nice for giving instructions to one child. You can sit and use it on your lap but have enough room to write out several examples without erasing constantly.

The easel has always been just used for play but could be used for instructions.

One side note .... washable Crayola markers and crayons also work good and wipe off with a wet wipe. Our two year old loves the easel and it is good because it allows her to use her arms in large motions (part of her OT). I only let her use washable Crayola Crayons, so if she wanders off and writes on the floor (common occurrence here :glare:) it wipes up easily.