Menu

How can I cook HUGE asparagus??

Or, snap where they naturally break, keep the woody bottoms for stocks, etc, and toss the tops in olive oil, salt & pepper and roast them in a hot oven until the tips frizzle. (Or grill them, if you're so inclined.)

I recall from Martha Stewart, way back in the day, an asparagus farmer commenting that those pencil-thin stalks people get so excited about are thin because they're not very healthy. (The plants themselves, not their nutritional value for humans)

You could put them in the over on a broiler pan, and cook them at 350. I forget how long I cook them for, until they are softened (maybe 20 minutes???) We drizzle them with olive oil and salt and pepper them. Grilling is good too.

Enjoy! Our plants are just starting to produce. I can't wait!

:iagree: I love roasted asparagus. I cook them at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I add an onion or mushrooms. Yum!

My grandma usually peels those tougher lower parts. Even though the outside is tough, the inside is usually tender.

This is what I do almost every time. I can't stand the waste of breaking the stems so far up, so I just peel the stems from about halfway down. Works really really well.