Menu

Weimaraner eats chocolate- Soph the Vet!

He's about 90 pounds and he ate probably a handful of chocolate eggs and a few Kit Kats yesterday morning. He did throw up his breakfast today, but other than that, he is acting completely normal. No nothing; appetite is there, running around, alert but not overly, heartrate seems to be normal....just all normal. Just read to give him a tablespoon of canola oil.

I am not feeling there are any problems, Soph - I did read that it will be out of his system in about 72 hours. So I am thinking due to his size and the fact that it was milk chocolate and not too much, he will be ok. Thoughts?

Dooley, you may want to post the question to Soph's Social Group "Ask the Vet".

Soph has posted that she watches the group pretty closely, but might miss a thread in the General Forum.

Best wishes with your Weimaraner, I had the pleasure of owning one a Weimaraner myself. Great dogs!

Bill

I know this isn't a laughing matter but your post reminded me of a Schnauzer we had that at a bunch of choc.chip cookies. This was before I know that chocolate is bad for dogs. She ate around 2 doz. homemade cookies during the night while everyone was sleeping.

The next morning she just laid and mouned. I found the empty sack and knew what she had done but just let her moun her way through it. Like I said I didn't know at the time it could be deadly. She survived and was back to trying to steal cookies in about 24hrs.

My 50lb lab/greyhound mix ate 2 lbs of individually wrapped Belgian chocolates and survived just fine. She threw up chocolatey puddles several times and had loose stools (the wrappers probably had more to do with all that than the choc :p) for a day. The timing was terrible, as she managed to get sick on the white carpeting of the house we were moving out of the next day. But, she was perfectly fine. I am sure your pooch will be too.

We were very active in Weim rescue up until a few years ago & had two that got into chocolate and ate roughly a bag of candy each. They suffered no ill affects & the vet wasn't the least bit concerned (I guess in part because they are such big dogs!)...I think the wrappers passing through was probably the most distressing part for the dogs.

Thanks you guys, each post made me smile and feel better. I will check out Soph's social group (never been there!) and that link to doggie digest looks awesome. God bless.

BTW, this dog eats rocks, balls of clay, poop, small toys....he is not very discriminating. But we love him!

HI! Just checked in this morning. He'll be fine. At 90# he probably didn't exceed his max in chocolate and it sounds like it was mostly milk chocolate anyway.

In the future, just make him throw up right away to be on the safe side. 1 or 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally usually has them vomiting within a few minutes.

Syrup of ipecac works too.

Chocolate is a CNS stimulant so seizures and other neuro signs are what you would see.