Menu

Are roombas all they're cracked up to be?

I got one recently and I love it! Vacuuming became one of my most dreaded tasks. With three young kids and four pets, I think it's easy enough to just whip out on a routine basis. It's not necessarily as thorough as if I did it all myself, but if I take it out several times a week it covers everything. And it's just so fun to watch!

I had one about 6 years ago when they first came out. It was more like a sweeper. It has to be emptied all the time and had many filters to change. You still had to get out a "real" vacuum cleaner to really clean your floors.

I love the concept, but the machine is just not powerful enough.

I have two. One I got as a gift, and the other I got off Craigslist. Alot of people will think they are broken, when they quit charging right, and really they just need a new battery. And then they'll sell them cheap. If you were gonna go this route, it's a good idea if you've had some experience with them, so you know what you're getting into. Certain beeps on the roomba mean certain things. That is in their instruction booklet, and on the support section of the website.

I love them. It's not the perfect, most thorough way to vacuum, but it really helps keep up with daily messes. It hits the high spots. The more often you use it, the better for the Roomba. (Battery issues) They don't like to sit unused for a long time.

Anyway, you have to be meticulous about cleaning the filter, and the beater bar thing, every time. If it clogs with dirt, you will start having trouble. I still like it. You have to remember it is a robot, and the sensors need to be cleaned periodically.

You ought to see the amount of dirt that I dump out of it every. single. time. I use it. And then it frees you to go work on something else.

Anyway, if you are good about cleaning it regularly, they are a great buy! If not, you should probably get something else.

ETA: I just noticed above that someone said they have many filters. I have two different models, and each machine has one filter. No. big. deal.

Edited by KLynnTX

Here's a reply I made to another thread:

I absolutely love our Roomba too. I don't like it for our main living area, where the carpet is wall-to-wall, light-colored, and quite deep and thick. I feel like it needs a deeper cleaning and stronger suction (and the pattern it leaves the floor drives me a little :willy_nilly:, but that's because I'm neurotic :lol:). But I use it and love it in every other part of the house. It gets used in the kitchen nearly every day, and it does a great job on the carpets in the playroom and the girls rooms. I do use it on the main carpet if I just need a quick pickup--for example, once I had people coming over and forgot that I wanted to vacuum up the crumby living room, but I had to run out and pick up food. I set it up and let it run, and it was done by the time I got back. If I had a big house full of hardwood floors, I'd gladly use it for everything, and I might even buy two!

Our first did die after a year (early model), and our second is still going quite strong after six months, so we'll see. Frankly, though, even if I had to buy one a year, I'd still consider it money well spent. I also agree with Cleo, that I find it works best when I confine it to a room. I run it in the kitchen for awhile, then move it to the bathroom, then do each girl's room before I need to charge it again. Sometimes I can even get the front door landing done, if I didn't let it go too long in the kitchen.

It gets a big thumbs up from me! My aunt even saw it work when she visited and went and bought herself one when she got home :lol:

I love that thing. I don't even treat it well (haven't changed the filter in months, only clean the brushes when they really, REALLY need it), and it works fine for me. I recommend the thing to everyone. I think Costco had the best deal last time I looked.

We've discussed it here a few times. If you search on Roomba, you'll probably find a broader set of reviews in the threads you come up with.

Would it work well with large food crumbs, in my dining room? Or would it get clogged easily by such debris?

I hate constantly sweeping the dining room, but it's necessary. I'd much rather let a robot do that job for me. :)

My primary use is in the kitchen (specifically, around my DD3's side of the table :glare:), so I'd say yes, unless your crumbs were insanely large, it would probably be fine.

Would it work well with large food crumbs, in my dining room? Or would it get clogged easily by such debris?

I hate constantly sweeping the dining room, but it's necessary. I'd much rather let a robot do that job for me. :)

Yes, they work great for that!

I've used Roombas since they first came out. The 500 series model has lasted longer than any of the previous models I've had... I'm very pleased with it.

It handles dog hair beautifully, and it handles surface dirt very well. It does not get the carpet deep-down clean, though. (I happen to be cursed with very thick carpeting... lol... I shouldn't complain, I just don't like carpeting in general.)

It does a really good job on bare floors with low-pile area rugs.

I love our Roomba and use it all over the house. It does best when you limit it to one room or a section of a large room. It does a great job on old, cheap, builders-grade carpet. LOL! I don't use any other vac except an upright on the stairs.

My favorite feature is that it goes under furniture and beds so it forces the kids to keep their rooms picked up. Also I love to turn it on when I deep clean a room. It feels like I have a little buddy working along side me. It is also really helpful when I am getting ready for an event. I turn it on in the family room while doing last minute prep and the room is ready to go by the time guests arrive.

We bought ours at Best Buy with the extended warranty program. After 9 months I had to take it back because it stopped working and they gave us a brand new one. They are known for breaking down easily.

Love mine! a 500 series. It is schedule to run daily while we sleep, downstairs. I bring it upstairs and shut it in a room when I don't want to get the big vac out.

I saw one of the 400 series on clearance at Kohls for $85. I meant to get this one for my upstairs and I missed out.

As long as you clean the brushes when it tells you, and empty the dirt out it works like a charm.... It does especially well on my hardwoods and the edges of my counters.

And like others have said, he is fun to watch.

I'd someday like to get the Scooba.....(mopper) and my inlaws have the "Dirt Dog" for the garage.

I have 2 big hairy dogs and one cat in the house. I'm on my 4th 400 series. The first three were all from one purchase. I was an early adopter and got 2 as warranty replacements. I really like them. They do a better sweeping job than I with a broom because they suck up the dog hair - with a broom little bits always go flying around. I clean the beater every time or two because of all the pet hair and my hair and dh's and ds's and empty the bin every time and knock out the filter. I find its vacuuming job to be only a little less well done than if I had the time to do it myself with my canister vac. Also, we have to pick up big things off the floor for it to run so it helps with that (read: legos).

Edited by Jill
its and it's - I know the difference! why don't my fingers!

I NEED ONE!!!!!

So, I found it at Costco for $289--good price? it's a 500 series.

Or do I need a scooba.....

I am in serious want for this. A little mommy's helper that won't talk back, does it's job when scheduled, cheerfully and lovingingly helpful, Ah! :D

I NEED ONE!!!!!

So, I found it at Costco for $289--good price? it's a 500 series.

Or do I need a scooba.....

I am in serious want for this. A little mommy's helper that won't talk back, does it's job when scheduled, cheerfully and lovingingly helpful, Ah! :D

I think that is an OK price. You might want to check HSN.com too.

The Roombas have a poor reliability record so you might want to consider getting an extended warranty. If you have a Best Buy near you they have the Roomba for $299 but you can get a 4 year warranty for about $35 bucks. I know that adds $50 to the cost, but then you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down for several years. Our Roomba broke after about 9 months. It ran, but didn't pick up dirt. Now that I have read the above posts it was probably the battery. Best Buy replaced it - no questions asked, and gave us a brand new Roomba. I don't know what the cost of a battery is, but my guess is that it is about $35 - the cost of the extended warranty.

I have the Scooba too and I use it all the time. We have bumpy tile floor that is harder to mop then our old linoleum. The Scooba does a great job. I love them both.

I think that is an OK price. You might want to check HSN.com too.

The Roombas have a poor reliability record so you might want to consider getting an extended warranty. If you have a Best Buy near you they have the Roomba for $299 but you can get a 4 year warranty for about $35 bucks. I know that adds $50 to the cost, but then you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down for several years. Our Roomba broke after about 9 months. It ran, but didn't pick up dirt. Now that I have read the above posts it was probably the battery. Best Buy replaced it - no questions asked, and gave us a brand new Roomba. I don't know what the cost of a battery is, but my guess is that it is about $35 - the cost of the extended warranty.

I have the Scooba too and I use it all the time. We have bumpy tile floor that is harder to mop then our old linoleum. The Scooba does a great job. I love them both.

I think I paid closer to $239 for mine using a 30% off coupon at Kohls. BUT, I agree....I'd probably buy it from somewhere where I can buy an extended warranty. THey aren't supposed to last for more than a year for what I can gather.....

I love those warranties.....I bought a lawn/leaf vacuum from Sears and paid $14 for an extended warranty....I've had it 6 months and I've had it replaced twice... and need to take it back again. Sears shouldn't have heavy duty equipment made out of plastic.... I bought a portable DVD player from Target, Same thing....$20 for a 3 year warranty. I've used it once.....for a replacement. Awesom.