Menu

How do you KNOW??!!

rowan25

Some background: My brother was one of the first gifted children in our parish in the mid 80s. He's very laid back, passive/aggressive, didn't care, coasted and did very well, and equally good across the board, though math is his strongest gift. I was tested 3 or 4 years after my brother and was labeled high achiever, mainly because I couldn't do mental math. There was no such thing as a matrix or subject area giftedness. There was high IQ/not high enough IQ.

Fast forward to present: My daughter just turned 5. She has always been MORE of everything. Whatever was the next milestone, she was already working on it. At a week old, she was struggling constantly to hold her head up and succeeding more often than not!! She started babbling at about 1 month, saying words at 5 months, and spoke paragraphs by 18 months. We're not exactly sure when she started reading. At 2.5, she came in the room and read an email to me as I was typing it. Startling, to say the least. :lol: She's always been very intense, pretty sensitive, hyper aware of her surroundings, a perfectionist, hard on herself. She didn't sleep through the night until about 3.5 and she gave up her 20-45 minute naps at 18 months, though I pushed it until 2.

I have never considered her gifted. We intend on homeschooling--and started a year ago as per her request--so she will probably never be officially tested. I didn't consider her gifted because my mother says that my daughter is very, very much like I was as a young child, though she is definitely more intense than I was with less of a desire to please/show off than I had. And after all, how could my child be considered gifted when I certainly didn't qualify. (Gee, no bitterness there!!! :tongue_smilie:)

Then again, I've had a gifted teacher at my church tell me repeatedly that my child is gifted. My friends are astonished at what I consider to be normal. My son is almost 2 and nowhere near the way my daughter was at the same age. He fits everything that I've read "normal" kids do. :lol: She was so far past that so often that I quit reading!!

I guess what I'm wondering is how did you know (other than testing) that your child was gifted? And what did/do you do about it with regard to teaching them? What curricula did you use?

We like MUS for math. But a language arts has me stumped!! Moving Beyond the Page didn't work for us. We were both bored. I'm using McRuffy right now, but it seems so babyish.

I'm looking at Sonlight, Ambleside, and Living Books. Any thoughts??

Thank you for reading my ramblings. Hopefully they made sense to someone and they can offer some insight!! :001_smile:

There are several websites you can find that will give you guidelines for determining if your child is gifted. Only testing will tell you "for sure." (Based on your description though, save your money. The girl is gifted, IMHO)

That said, I would suggest you just continue to provide a rich learning environment for her and let her go rather than focusing on the label. (You were smart to quit reading the books to tell you what "normal" is.) As far as curricula - I think the three you are looking at would be great. They are book intensive which is fun for kids that age and will keep you from feeling like you are pushing her.

MUS is great. My boys love it and it allows them to go as quickly as they need to go. Plus, playing with the blocks is just fun for any kid.

My advice: let her soar with her strengths and work lovingly to stretch her in her weaknesses. For example, my son is very gifted, but hates to write. We use curricula that allow us to do a lot orally so he can still learn at the pace he wants. Handwriting is the only subject he is working at grade level and that's just fine. We don't hold him back til he can write better and faster.

Enjoy your son and daughter. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you.

There are several websites you can find that will give you guidelines for determining if your child is gifted. Only testing will tell you "for sure." (Based on your description though, save your money. The girl is gifted, IMHO)

Actually that's sortof how I ended up here. :tongue_smilie: I've been to many sites. She meets so many of the criteria, it's a little alarming!!!!

My advice: let her soar with her strengths and work lovingly to stretch her in her weaknesses. For example, my son is very gifted, but hates to write. We use curricula that allow us to do a lot orally so he can still learn at the pace he wants. Handwriting is the only subject he is working at grade level and that's just fine. We don't hold him back til he can write better and faster.

Enjoy your son and daughter. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you.

Handwriting is definitely an issue with us as well. HWT isn't working. We have tears. :lol: So I'm looking into some alternatives. Or possibly letting it fall to the wayside for a time. Her gross motor skills far outstrip her fine motor skills.

Also her emotional maturity is pretty much age level as well. There's a disconnect sometimes for me because she will go from seeming to be closer to 10, then turn around a throw a just turned 5 year old fit!!! This is part of what concerns me about Sonlight. I'm afraid the content that matches her reading level will be too mature/intense for us to deal with emotionally. I think I'm leaning more toward something Charlotte Masony.

Anyway, I look forward to lurking on this board as well and planning for our future roller coaster ride! :D

it doesn't really matter if you know for sure. By that, I mean, if you are teaching your child to her strengths, providing her with what she needs, and teaching her at the rate/depth/breadth she needs, whether or not she is gifted vs. bright or even something else doesn't really matter. (Though I will say by your description, it's a pretty solid bet she is.)

I never had my boys tested but, like with your description of your dd, we just knew they were not your average kid...even though they are entirely different. They just progressed at their own speed. I did have dd tested because I was at a loss with what to do with her...she seemed to always be a step ahead of me and learned everything in a whole to parts kind of way that I found difficult to teach or to know where to find a place to teach her. The testing was not all that helpful, though. It didn't really give me the info I was looking for (just reinforced what I already knew) so, I stuck my head in more books and kept experimenting until I found a good place to start, rate to move, etc... We are good now at least for the time being.

We love the language arts programs from Michael Clay Thompson at http://www.rfwp.com for grammar, poetry, and vocabulary (Grammar Island, etc...). Also love the books "If the Wolf Were and Octopus" for reading comprehension. We use Wordly Wise for dd's real vocabulary work and Spelling Power for spelling. Like you, it was difficult to find one comprehension program to deal with language arts, let alone everything else.

As far as other curriculum, that has all been trial and error with each of my kids. Each one of them learns best with something a little different or with different modifications to the same program.

Good Luck

I guess the thing I am finding is whilst I want something complete like SL or WP or AO for my DD no AIO, complete program is going to cut it. She is working at so many different levels for everything I just have to pick and choose and put it all together myself. I am so hoping DS will be EASY.

My DD is very strong in the LA area, we are using WWE, AAS (although she is a natural speller I just can't let this go because it is something i really suck at because I don't understand it), copywork and as soon as I decide which, a reading program. She loves books and we just give her free reign on what she chooses to read although I do vito what comes into the house so she is reading quality, but she chooses her own.

Handwriting is somewhat a sticking point here too. We have not done a formal HW program. I taught her formation using large letters and a salt tray and then had her free write on paper with no lines and then we worked on getting the letters on the lines. We are still a ways from where I was to be but she has vision issues too so I am not too concerned. I don't think she will ever have great writing because of her vision.

Journalling is something which is helping the quantity of writing she is doing. I brought her a blank scrapbook and have her draw a picture and write 1 sentence about her picture, not something made up but what the picture is. The other day she drew a rainbow and wrote "This is a rainbow." It is just another way to get her comfortable writing a little more.

DD is anti workbook so we have to keep things interesting and think outside the square to keep up with her. It certainly is a challenge hey!

Welcome!

You don't need a test. Your dd is gifted. Take it from me, a stranger on the internet. But as others have said, you don't really need a label. Just meet her where she is.

My dd is an advanced reader, so I'm experiencing some of the same dilemma you are facing. (My dd is not at the level that you describe yours, though!) The packaged programs are very frustrating. The assumption is that all 5-year-olds are just learning their alphabet and sounds! My final decision (at least I think it is final!) is to use Sonlight's Pre-K and K programs for the next two years. I'm going to let her read all the read-alouds herself, so it will be more at her reading level. (Edit: She does still like me to read to her, so we'll probably share the reading, depending on what she's in the mood for on a given day. I think read-alouds are important even for an independent reader!)

I also have the McGuffey readers on order (they should arrive today!) so that she can practice reading and get more advanced without running into age-inappropriate content.

When she's 6, we're going to switch to Ambleside Online. I am impressed with Ambleside for an advanced reader, because the reading level is very high (because the books are old) while the content is still age-appropriate, especially in the lower levels. And the upper levels are amazing. I haven't seen anything else that compares.

Best wishes on your homeschooling journey!

Edited by musicianmom
clarification

My older son has ADHD, but was also labeled "gifted" when he was in ps. We struggle with handwriting and spelling. However, now that he is home, I really don't consider him "gifted" beyond just being really a smart kiddo. :)

However, what I wanted to share with you was that, when I was searching for information on giftedness, I came across the term "asynchronous development." My son totally fit...and I think most kids do. It just describes how kids who are really advanced are also often lacking in maturity...sometimes even in deficit of other kids their ages. My son is 9. At times, it is hard to tell the difference between him and my 5 year old in behavior. Other times, I feel like I am conversing with a 17 year old. It is totally bizarre, but apparently totally normal for gifted children...and the more "gifted" they are, the more of this you will see.

Allowing them to dictate answers helps when the fine motor isn't up to the brain power. That's what my son did for preschool and K and still for some of first. Shortening lessons to suit attention span, or skipping 'easy' stuff altogether is just fine.

Yours is definitely gifted. :)

I haven't had mine tested, but given that dh and I both tested gifted back in school, and our kids are much like us temperamentally and both bright academically and both quirky (my son more so than my daughter), I'm going on the assumption that they are. Dh and I made a deal that when they hit third grade standardized testing, if they get really good scores, he'll let me have them tested officially to find out. :) I know it doesn't really matter, but sometimes I'd like a number, just to know if I'm pushing too much or not enough or in the wrong areas.

We love the language arts programs from Michael Clay Thompson at www.rfwp.com for grammar, poetry, and vocabulary (Grammar Island, etc...). Also love the books "If the Wolf Were and Octopus" for reading comprehension. We use Wordly Wise for dd's real vocabulary work and Spelling Power for spelling. Like you, it was difficult to find one comprehension program to deal with language arts, let alone everything else.

As far as other curriculum, that has all been trial and error with each of my kids. Each one of them learns best with something a little different or with different modifications to the same program.

Good Luck

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll check them out.

Handwriting is somewhat a sticking point here too. We have not done a formal HW program. I taught her formation using large letters and a salt tray and then had her free write on paper with no lines and then we worked on getting the letters on the lines.

Yes, this is where we are. That's why I'm switching from HWT. That one line thing is NOT working here!!

Journalling is something which is helping the quantity of writing she is doing. I brought her a blank scrapbook and have her draw a picture and write 1 sentence about her picture, not something made up but what the picture is. The other day she drew a rainbow and wrote "This is a rainbow." It is just another way to get her comfortable writing a little more.

I wish I could get her to do this type of thing. I can't get her to color anything. And if I ask her to draw a picture, she balks. Now while her brother is napping, she'll fill a notebook with her drawings and paintings!! But not if I ask. Not even if I tell her she can draw whatever she wants!! Talk about independent minded! :lol:

Welcome!

You don't need a test. Your dd is gifted. Take it from me, a stranger on the internet. But as others have said, you don't really need a label. Just meet her where she is.

:lol:

My dd is an advanced reader, so I'm experiencing some of the same dilemma you are facing. (My dd is not at the level that you describe yours, though!) The packaged programs are very frustrating. The assumption is that all 5-year-olds are just learning their alphabet and sounds! My final decision (at least I think it is final!) is to use Sonlight's Pre-K and K programs for the next two years. I'm going to let her read all the read-alouds herself, so it will be more at her reading level. (Edit: She does still like me to read to her, so we'll probably share the reading, depending on what she's in the mood for on a given day. I think read-alouds are important even for an independent reader!)

I also have the McGuffey readers on order (they should arrive today!) so that she can practice reading and get more advanced without running into age-inappropriate content.

When she's 6, we're going to switch to Ambleside Online. I am impressed with Ambleside for an advanced reader, because the reading level is very high (because the books are old) while the content is still age-appropriate, especially in the lower levels. And the upper levels are amazing. I haven't seen anything else that compares.

Best wishes on your homeschooling journey!

That sounds like what I'm leaning toward at this point. Though I stumbled onto Living Books Curriculum http://www.livingbookscurriculum.com/living-books-homepage.htm. It seems to be lighter than Ambleside, but still very much Charlotte Mason. I'm thinking that if I don't like Sonlight when I see it at our local convention, then I may go with this and add in some of Ambleside's books.

You don't need a test. Your dd is gifted.

And you probably are as well. :) I read somewhere that within a family IQ's tend to range within 5 -10 pts. of one another.

We're finishing our 12th year homeschooling and I've tended to follow a Charlotte Mason/Waldorf methodology. Lots of books, playing outside, hobbies, crafts, etc. It's worked well and tends to help diffuse the hyper-intensity common in "gifted" kids. I've noticed that the language arts/history education seems to take care of itself when they read a lot. Whenever I tried to used structured programs, we never seemed to finish them (too much repetition, too confining). I do use structured programs for math and science in high school, or perhaps a college text book for writing, but only as needed (with the exception of one of my children, who is extremely dyslexic - he follows a very structured program, because that's what he needs).

Have you looked at Susan's book of writing instruction for the younger grades? If you combined that with lots of reading of interesting books, that would probably be enough. I have a child the same age as yours, who somehow learned to read on his own (I didn't realize until he began reading the junk mail to me with amazing accuracy.) So far, I've just been having him play, read to his little sister, and do some work in the Singapore program, but nothing very formal. Children like that learn so quickly that there's no need to stress out about curricula, particularly when they're young.

I've never had my kids formally tested, except for the ones with learning disabilities. But I was tested in school, labeled "gifted" and I could see similar traits appearing. One of the main reasons I appreciate homeschooling is that they can each develop at their own rate without being labeled. My older kids have taken achievement tests, SATs, etc. and their scores have been exceptional, so in their case, a "laid-back" approach to homeschooling hasn't done them any harm, and I hope it's helped them to become balanced individuals, rather than too focused on one area, ie. academics.

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll check them out.

Another idea for a child who has difficulty with writing is to get one of those mini digital recorders and let your child dictate into it her stories, ideas, etc...The tapes you will get from that will be priceless when she grows up. I almost forgot doing that with dd when she was younger.

Also, I allowed her to type on the computer. My dd didn't have any difficulty with writing and was writing well very young but didn't have the stamina to write as long as the ideas she had so letting her type on the computer (not because it was easier but just because it was different) and dictate on the recorder both helped her to develop her creativity at the level she was working without stamina interferring.

We're finishing our 12th year homeschooling and I've tended to follow a Charlotte Mason/Waldorf methodology. Lots of books, playing outside, hobbies, crafts, etc. It's worked well and tends to help diffuse the hyper-intensity common in "gifted" kids.

How did you do this? I have been drawn to both, but I'm unsure how to implement either one, much less a combination! Oak Meadow was way too slow for us, so that was out. Right now I'm leaning toward Sonlight, Ambleside, or Living Books Curriculum.

She told me today that she wants more reading for her and more reading aloud for me. She also wants to "do things", but she doesn't like to color. Any craft that is a cut/paste is cut and pasted and completely white. :tongue_smilie:So I'm thinking some sort of handicrafts. Sigh. How to do all of this with a nutty 2 year old is beyond me!!!

Have you looked at Susan's book of writing instruction for the younger grades?

Not yet. I haven't even read WTM yet! It's in my stack. Which one is for the younger grades?

Another idea for a child who has difficulty with writing is to get one of those mini digital recorders and let your child dictate into it her stories, ideas, etc...The tapes you will get from that will be priceless when she grows up. I almost forgot doing that with dd when she was younger.

Also, I allowed her to type on the computer. My dd didn't have any difficulty with writing and was writing well very young but didn't have the stamina to write as long as the ideas she had so letting her type on the computer (not because it was easier but just because it was different) and dictate on the recorder both helped her to develop her creativity at the level she was working without stamina interferring.

Good ideas!!

Your daughter sounds like my oldest. :) Especially the "looking for the next milestone and working on it." When she was six weeks old, my dad came to visit, and she was insistent on him holding her up so she could bear weight on her legs! :001_huh: I've been struggling lately with the same question - I want to KNOW, but at the same time, we're homeschooling - does it matter? Really matter? So just to say, you're not alone.

I've been so impressed with the Ambleside list that I try to add them in when I can for extras. I work to keep our reading level high for read-alouds - it's amazing how well she understands and comprehends. We're starting through the Red Fairy book now and she hangs on every word.

The rest of our LA is First Language Lessons (we went quickly through 1 and are more than halfway through 2) and AAS (same here - we also zipped through Spelling Workout A). I'm going to start her on WWE next year (meaning in June). She could place higher, but I'm going to start at Level 1 and have her narrate from listening, not reading.

I hope that's helped some... and welcome! :001_smile:

Your daughter sounds like my oldest. :) Especially the "looking for the next milestone and working on it." When she was six weeks old, my dad came to visit, and she was insistent on him holding her up so she could bear weight on her legs! :001_huh: I've been struggling lately with the same question - I want to KNOW, but at the same time, we're homeschooling - does it matter? Really matter? So just to say, you're not alone.

Thank you!! Yes, this does sound familiar. One of her favorite things to do between 2 and 5 months was "walk" up my chest. :lol: And yes, I've had this conversation with someone locally who has decided to homeschool his school identified gifted child. He keeps saying I should test and I keep saying it's not necessary since she won't be in school. But part of me REALLY wants to know that score!!!!

The rest of our LA is First Language Lessons (we went quickly through 1 and are more than halfway through 2) and AAS (same here - we also zipped through Spelling Workout A). I'm going to start her on WWE next year (meaning in June). She could place higher, but I'm going to start at Level 1 and have her narrate from listening, not reading.

I hope that's helped some... and welcome! :001_smile:

This helps a lot. More stuff to research!! :)

Webster's Speller!

The 2 letter syllables translate directly into 2 to 5 syllable words.

The print is too small for a 5 year old, work from a white board and do oral spelling and "written spelling" with magnetic letters.

There is a link below on how to use Webster's Speller, also this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70153

There is a link to a 20 minute QuickTime movie with my daughter showing how to use it.

You'll probably need something more for spelling rules later, but it's a good start for reading and spelling. My daughter learned better by pattern at that age. She still does, but she's able to learn rules now, so we're covering the rules as we review phonics and do spelling. (I combine spelling and phonics, I've found that they reinforce one another.)

Maybe at her age it is important to keep things a little unstructured and available too. If she wants to draw when she wants then make those things available to her and encourage like made when she does. My DS is Mr independent and I can see his learning is going to be when he wants on his terms or not at all. We have activity bags which they can access independently and do something with educational value, some of these things are monti inspired.

Combining CM and Waldorf type things is achievable in a relaxed kind of way, we kind of do that. OM was too slow and too light for us, I looked and would have wanted to place her in 3rd for some things.

This is what my day looks like for school with 3 littles (you can do it with 2)-

After breakfast and morning chores we have circle time, during this time we sing a couple of songs, read some poems, a story or 2, review our memory work, review the sign language signs we know, fill in our weather chart, have a look at our picture study for the week. My 19 month old loves this time.

After that we move onto math block, we have 4 short lessons. We do drill, normally verbally and game like, then we have a lesson (instruct) again normally hands on, game like, then we move to practice which depending on how far into the concept we are will be hands on or into her main lesson book (we do everything written in the one book) after that there is more practice by way of Right Start games. We are using Math on the Level because I am able to tailor to her and introduce a new concept when I think she can handle it, not when the text says so.

After that we move on to our LA block, again short lessons. She reads aloud to me then does some copywork, I have just started letting her choose the sentence she copies and that is working well, again this is in her main lesson book. We do some spelling, were using Explode the Code will be moving to All About Spelling as soon as it arrives (she isn't a workbook kid) we will start Writing with Ease in this slot after July.

Then we do our content block, again short lessons.

I do try to keep the writing minimal for her. I make up little number tags she can glue in her book sometimes instead of writing the numbers just to mix things up a little. When I do ask her to write I am very firm on it must be your best work and the letters must be correct, if not then we rub out and do it again. We have done some character training in this area 'haste makes waste' better to do your best effort first than have to do it again, that kind of thing. Yes we have had tears occasionally but she is doing really well now!

For reading material I am drawing from Ambleside, Sonlight, Simply Charlotte Mason and Five in a Row. She is reading well and where she can I let her read the books herself otherwise we buddy read or I read aloud. We also hit the library and get plenty there. I just couldn't find it all in a box that i liked and I have looked at everything i think. We just read and narrate at the moment and her recall is excellent even months later.

If you want to chat any specifics as our DC are close in age just PM me and i would be happy to continue a dialogue.

How did you do this? I have been drawn to both, but I'm unsure how to implement either one, much less a combination! Oak Meadow was way too slow for us, so that was out. Right now I'm leaning toward Sonlight, Ambleside, or Living Books Curriculum.

Rather than following a packaged curriculum, I customize their reading according to their particular interests, but also include books about topics that they might not be naturally drawn to. That way, they get a good balance of topics. If you're finding prepackaged programs move too slowly, this is one way around the problem.

Combining Charlotte with Waldorf - the methods have many similarities, although Waldorf follow a slower timetable, emphasizing physical development rather than intellectual development in the younger years. I just pick the aspects that I like and ignore the rest. If you read a Waldorf teacher's manual, you can use the ideas to customize your own program. You might check out the Christopherus Homeschool website. They have some interesting materials (although laced with anthroposophy, which you can easily ignore).

Charlotte and Waldorf both rely on time blocks for activities throughout the day. This works well with toddlers in the mix (even those who won't nap!:))

Handcrafts - I started out with the Waldorf suggestions, but once again, the activities eventually morphed into very different ones. Eg., recorder playing turned into bagpiping, knitting little scarves morphed into making Barbie ensembles, etc.

The writing book I was referring to, which would fit very well with Charlotte/Waldorf, or any approach, really, is called the Complete Writer, by Susan Wise Bauer.

Webster's Speller!

The 2 letter syllables translate directly into 2 to 5 syllable words.

The print is too small for a 5 year old, work from a white board and do oral spelling and "written spelling" with magnetic letters.

There is a link below on how to use Webster's Speller, also this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70153

There is a link to a 20 minute QuickTime movie with my daughter showing how to use it.

You'll probably need something more for spelling rules later, but it's a good start for reading and spelling. My daughter learned better by pattern at that age. She still does, but she's able to learn rules now, so we're covering the rules as we review phonics and do spelling. (I combine spelling and phonics, I've found that they reinforce one another.)

Where can you find this?

If you read a Waldorf teacher's manual, you can use the ideas to customize your own program. You might check out the Christopherus Homeschool website. They have some interesting materials (although laced with anthroposophy, which you can easily ignore).

Handcrafts - I started out with the Waldorf suggestions, but once again, the activities eventually morphed into very different ones. Eg., recorder playing turned into bagpiping, knitting little scarves morphed into making Barbie ensembles, etc.

The writing book I was referring to, which would fit very well with Charlotte/Waldorf, or any approach, really, is called the Complete Writer, by Susan Wise Bauer.

Those are interesting ideas! Thanks so much.

Some background: My brother was one of the first gifted children in our parish in the mid 80s. He's very laid back, passive/aggressive, didn't care, coasted and did very well, and equally good across the board, though math is his strongest gift. I was tested 3 or 4 years after my brother and was labeled high achiever, mainly because I couldn't do mental math. There was no such thing as a matrix or subject area giftedness. There was high IQ/not high enough IQ.

Fast forward to present: My daughter just turned 5. She has always been MORE of everything. Whatever was the next milestone, she was already working on it. At a week old, she was struggling constantly to hold her head up and succeeding more often than not!! She started babbling at about 1 month, saying words at 5 months, and spoke paragraphs by 18 months. We're not exactly sure when she started reading. At 2.5, she came in the room and read an email to me as I was typing it. Startling, to say the least. :lol: She's always been very intense, pretty sensitive, hyper aware of her surroundings, a perfectionist, hard on herself. She didn't sleep through the night until about 3.5 and she gave up her 20-45 minute naps at 18 months, though I pushed it until 2.

I have never considered her gifted. We intend on homeschooling--and started a year ago as per her request--so she will probably never be officially tested. I didn't consider her gifted because my mother says that my daughter is very, very much like I was as a young child, though she is definitely more intense than I was with less of a desire to please/show off than I had. And after all, how could my child be considered gifted when I certainly didn't qualify. (Gee, no bitterness there!!! :tongue_smilie:)

Then again, I've had a gifted teacher at my church tell me repeatedly that my child is gifted. My friends are astonished at what I consider to be normal. My son is almost 2 and nowhere near the way my daughter was at the same age. He fits everything that I've read "normal" kids do. :lol: She was so far past that so often that I quit reading!!

I guess what I'm wondering is how did you know (other than testing) that your child was gifted? And what did/do you do about it with regard to teaching them? What curricula did you use?

We like MUS for math. But a language arts has me stumped!! Moving Beyond the Page didn't work for us. We were both bored. I'm using McRuffy right now, but it seems so babyish.

I'm looking at Sonlight, Ambleside, and Living Books. Any thoughts??

Thank you for reading my ramblings. Hopefully they made sense to someone and they can offer some insight!! :001_smile:

As much as I like MUS, and use it for fun and math facts (plus with stubborn children who think regrouping is no good, for example), I think Singapore Math is better. If she's really mathy, I've just been referred to MEP math, which is free online and really makes you think. Year 1 is kindergarten, and you could start there. I love it so far, and wish it had been out when I was a little girl.

If your dd is an auditory learner, FLL is fun, but my ds found it rather easy. We've used Easy Grammar, because my eldest had trouble with prepositions. I find Rod and Staff good, but we didn't buy a copy until grade 5, so I can't speak for the earlier grades.

As for knowing about giftedness, it runs in my family. When I was 9 we moved to CA for a while, and my sister and I qualified for the gifted program, and you had to be in the top 2 percentile just to get in. My eldest never had an IQ test, but she amazed someone at ps who gave her an open test (where the question wasn't limited to being phrased in just one way so that if dd thought the question was stupid, she wouldn't start playing) and had so many traits, that I just know she is. But she's not highly motivated at all. Still, she hated math but was ready for Algebra at age 11. The one who surprised me was my ds, who tested behind in everything at 13 months. He had more gifted traits on a list than my eldest. But he wasn't an early bloomer with academics--he's blooming now, though, and starting to zoom ahead, as I always knew he would when he was ready.

If she's really mathy, I've just been referred to MEP math, which is free online and really makes you think. Year 1 is kindergarten, and you could start there. I love it so far, and wish it had been out when I was a little girl.

She doesn't appear to be really mathy yet. My brother is, though, so I know it's in the genes! Sadly my hubby is not and that's in the genes too! :tongue_smilie: I had looked at MEP--mainly for it's free factor--and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I was afraid that it would cause too many tears, so I went with MUS. I may check out Singapore at our convention next week and see how that is, though.

If your dd is an auditory learner, FLL is fun, but my ds found it rather easy.

FLL?? What's that one?

A word of caution about dropping handwriting (and if someone else mentioned this, forgive me, I've only read half the first page). My DS was ahead in understanding but behind in fine motor skills, so I let handwriting go. It was fine, but now we have serious issues (well, as serious as handwriting is ;) ) Because we weren't doing it, but he was still writing on his own here and there, he formed letters how he wanted to and now it's been a bit of a pain for him to relearn how to do it right. So, let it go if you want, but still make sure she's learning how to form letters correctly, even if they look terrible and she only writes 1 minute a day. At least that's what I'd do if I had it to do over.

A word of caution about dropping handwriting (and if someone else mentioned this, forgive me, I've only read half the first page). My DS was ahead in understanding but behind in fine motor skills, so I let handwriting go. It was fine, but now we have serious issues (well, as serious as handwriting is ;) ) Because we weren't doing it, but he was still writing on his own here and there, he formed letters how he wanted to and now it's been a bit of a pain for him to relearn how to do it right. So, let it go if you want, but still make sure she's learning how to form letters correctly, even if they look terrible and she only writes 1 minute a day. At least that's what I'd do if I had it to do over.

Ok, that's what I was thinking too.

Now, just in an aside because I've never taught it, what is the deal about forming the letters correctly? I've seen different programs teach totally different ways of forming the letters. How do you know which is "correct?"

She doesn't appear to be really mathy yet. My brother is, though, so I know it's in the genes! Sadly my hubby is not and that's in the genes too! :tongue_smilie: I had looked at MEP--mainly for it's free factor--and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I was afraid that it would cause too many tears, so I went with MUS. I may check out Singapore at our convention next week and see how that is, though.

FLL?? What's that one?

FLL is First Language Lessons, by SWB. I used it with ds when he was 6/7. It was easy for him, but it made grammar fun. I didn't see a need for written grammar at that age, but there are some written assignments you can do with it. He's doing written grammar at 8, though.

Where can you find this?

My webster page linked in my signature has instructions on how to use it.

There are actually 3 versions of the document that Don Potter has typed.

1. . Webster Without Pictures. This is a complete edition of Webster with the jpg pictures deleted to make it quicker to download. Everything is there except the pictures.

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Webster%27s%20Spelling%20Book%201824%20-%20no%20pictures.pdf

2. Webster in Uppercase Letters: This edition is designed for older students who have developed the guessing-from-configuration habit. Uppercase letters lack the ascenders (d-b-l-t-f-h) or ascenders (g-p-q-j-z-y).

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Webster%27s%20Spelling%20Book%201824%20Cut%20uppercase.pdf

3. Webster for Modern Public Schools. All pictures and religious material has been deleted. This edition is handy because there are far fewer pages, yet all the phonics material is there.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf_files/websters_spelling_book_1824.pdf

The print in these is much bigger than a Webster Speller that you can buy. (You can buy some reprints.) Also, most of the reprints are scanned, so the font is both fuzzy and small.

Edited by ElizabethB

FLL is First Language Lessons, by SWB. I used it with ds when he was 6/7. It was easy for him, but it made grammar fun. I didn't see a need for written grammar at that age, but there are some written assignments you can do with it. He's doing written grammar at 8, though.

Ok, that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Thank you!

My webster page linked in my signature has instructions on how to use it.

There are actually 3 versions of the document that Don Potter has typed.

1. . Webster Without Pictures. This is a complete edition of Webster with the jpg pictures deleted to make it quicker to download. Everything is there except the pictures.

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Webster%27s%20Spelling%20Book%201824%20-%20no%20pictures.pdf

2. Webster in Uppercase Letters: This edition is designed for older students who have developed the guessing-from-configuration habit. Uppercase letters lack the ascenders (d-b-l-t-f-h) or ascenders (g-p-q-j-z-y).

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Webster%27s%20Spelling%20Book%201824%20Cut%20uppercase.pdf

3. Webster for Modern Public Schools. All pictures and religious material has been deleted. This edition is handy because there are far fewer pages, yet all the phonics material is there.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf_files/websters_spelling_book_1824.pdf

The print in these is much bigger than a Webster Speller that you can buy. (You can buy some reprints.) Also, most of the reprints are scanned, so the font is both fuzzy and small.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

A word of caution about dropping handwriting (and if someone else mentioned this, forgive me, I've only read half the first page). My DS was ahead in understanding but behind in fine motor skills, so I let handwriting go. It was fine, but now we have serious issues (well, as serious as handwriting is ;) ).

If there are fine motor issues, I highly recommend Handwriting Without Tears, starting at the kindergarten level. My ds was born with low muscle tone and had a delay with this. HWT was great. I also highly recommend swimming lessons for any dc with any type of motor delays as it is fabulous OT, but you need to do it all year round, and, ideally, more than once a week if you can, although weekly helps somewhat, too.