Menu

Science for 6th grade..I can't take another year of Apologia...

Mommyfaithe

Please...I just can't. I can not take any more sugar coated text.I feel like we just spent 3 years learning science from Mr. Rogers...Same thing I couldn't stand about MOH. I just can't stand it......

I would like a creation based science that includes experiments that are relative and work...with a list of materials needed. I would like chapter review questions and quizzes or tests. It would be nice if there were vocabulary lists. It would also be nice if my younger kids could follow along and enjoy the experiments. BUT please ...I need the text to be to the point...but not sugary...or talking to the kids like they are dumb-dumbs.

I was thinking of the books put out by AIG (God's Design for ...) How is the text ?? Are the books rigorous??

I would like to get her ready for upper level science and I am sorely disappointed in our ability to finish up this years book (Zoo 2.) A whole year on fish and underwater creatures...blah!

Thanks,

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe
clarification

The AIG books we've used were good, but not what I'd call rigorous. Well, they could be, if you supplemented them, I think.

Have you considered just using Apologia's General Science next year? This is our first year with textbook science, and we really like it. The author is NOT the same as the author who wrote the elementary level books. There's no talking down to the reader. (At least not from what I've seen.)

That's interesting. We are using Apologia for the first time this year and have really enjoyed it. I haven't noticed a "sugar coating" to the curriculum. Could you post some examples? I'm just curious.

This is actually the first time we've ever enjoyed science after using Calvert's dry as a desert science for the past 5yrs.

This is just what we were looking for. It is split into three different age groups. For my two 10 yo boys it is challenging. I am having them do the work for their age group plus the work for older students. They pack a lot of information into each lesson. The experiments are easy so far, but seem to complement the lessons well. There are quizzes, tests and worksheets that go along with it.

My 12 yo ds is doing Apologia's General Science and is doing well with it. There is a lot of information in each module. There is usually a lot of vocab to memorize. I did not like Apologia's elementary books, but like their books for the upper grades.

We're finishing up the God's Design series and have enjoyed it. The reading is short enough that the dc can outline their lessons without being overwhelmed yet I feel there is enough "meat" without being too much. The experiments are OK but I supplemented with Evan Moore books. What I liked were the Taking It Further sections; we sit together and talk about what is presented. I like that there are review questions as well as quizzes, too.

It's funny because I'm actually going to use Apologia 1 & 2 this coming year just for something different! Now I'm worried I won't like it!

Please...I just can't. I can not take any more sugar coated text.I feel like we just spent 3 years learning science from Mr. Rogers...Same thing I couldn't stand about MOH. I just can't stand it......

I would like a creation based science that includes experiments that are relative and work...with a list of materials needed. I would like chapter review questions and quizzes or tests. It would be nice if there were vocabulary lists. It would also be nice if my younger kids could follow along and enjoy the experiments. BUT please ...I need the text to be to the point...but not sugary...or talking to the kids like they are dumb-dumbs.

Rainbow Science

For a rigorous Science program, if you do not mind a textbook, my vote is for BJU.(If your child does not mind a "textbooky" approach. My high schooler used all of BJU.

Or, Apologias General(much different then Jeannie Fulbrights books). My oldest son used the General Science one, but he didn;t like the format(I did) so he went with BJU.

or, for a really great, engaging, all put together,(but expensive) would be Rainbow Science. My oldest daughter did Rainbow for Grades 7 and 8 and LOVED it. She went to High School and was WAY ahead of her peers in Science. This worked well for her, because she hated textbooks, and the writing was done to HER. And it was fun and easy to read. (And she HATES to read anything, so this is saying something. Best $$ I ever spent for her)