Menu

Is there a grade or a subject that requires group discussion?

I was talking to a homeschool mom who I respect very much. She said that she thought that at a certain age (around 7th or 8th grade) that kids needed to have group discussion in certain subjects. The subjects she suggested were logic, Latin and literature. She felt like the discussion really needed to be with someone who wasn't a parent to allow for free exploration of ideas. What do you think? (I think it is ironic that I'm exploring this idea in group discussion on the internet).:D

I agree that as kids get into rhetoric stage, they need to discuss things with multiple other people in order to hear a variety of viewpoints and form opinions of their own. I began moving my older son into more outside group classes when he was in seventh grade.

Because I didn't have a good option for homeschool high school here, couldn't convince him that at more than 6' tall no one would notice if he went onto a nearby campus for some classes, and because he so very much wanted a social group of others his own age, we let him return to a private school as a sophomore.

Calvin is starting to want to bounce ideas off other people. For now, we are using an online tutor for one class (Classical Civilisation). He also belongs to a home educators' book group, which meets once a month. This seems to be enough for now, but I can see this need growing. He will be going to school at 14.

Laura

I was talking to a homeschool mom who I respect very much. She said that she thought that at a certain age (around 7th or 8th grade) that kids needed to have group discussion in certain subjects. The subjects she suggested were logic, Latin and literature. She felt like the discussion really needed to be with someone who wasn't a parent to allow for free exploration of ideas. What do you think? (I think it is ironic that I'm exploring this idea in group discussion on the internet).:D

I agree, ideally, at least for my older kid. She thrives in discussion settings. She did Latin for several years with a teacher who was very good at leading discussions and she learned so much more than Latin. She is now studying Logic and debating with the same teacher and although she is not so keen, I feel the small group discussions are worthy for her.

Doing an online writing course and getting feedback for her writing was excellent for her. I do think a literature course would be good too. She has a Science class and the teacher there is good at getting involvement from all the students.

Yes, I think teenagers, particularly certain personalities, really need more than mum to bounce ideas and concepts off. They need other teachers to learn from, too- teachers who are inspired by their subject. Their world needs to expand beyond home and books. However, my next child is different and perhaps will get those things later- he doesn't seem to respond well to them yet.

I don't have kids of that age yet, of course, but I remember my uni days. I have no idea how someone can study the humanities without anyone to compare ideas with. Dh and I were arguing over online delivery of uni courses at one stage and realised our different points of view were coming from our uni experiences. I studied humanities and spent all my time reading, thinking, talking and listening to other people talk. He spent his tutes sitting in front of a computer completing tute exercises. I guess companionship isn't really necessary for a computer science student...

Rosie

I think for some kids, discussion at the rhetoric stage would be great. Logic discussions or literature would be very engaging and the kids would thrive. My son did not want to do anything of the sort, and I didn't push. Being the introvert he is, I figured he would just sit and say nothing. I think he does better with the one on one discussions we have. That way he has time to ponder an answer before he replies.

but I also agree that starting at much younger age doesn't hurt either. We are using most of the curriculum at Angelicum Academy and they start online discussion groups in 3rd grade (for their Good Books literature class). They eventually graduate into Socratic discussion. It looks like a great thing to me!!

My thinking is that if you start discussions young, it will just get easier as you progress in age. Much like writing!

Liz in NC

I think for some kids, discussion at the rhetoric stage would be great. Logic discussions or literature would be very engaging and the kids would thrive. My son did not want to do anything of the sort, and I didn't push. Being the introvert he is, I figured he would just sit and say nothing. I think he does better with the one on one discussions we have. That way he has time to ponder an answer before he replies.

even those who do not contribute benefit greatly from hearing alternate views. my son would often spin his brains trying to figure out what I wanted him to say rather than piece together what he really thought. this dynamic is greatly reduced in a group setting where there are other participants in addition to, or in leiu of, your parent-teacher.

Required? I don't know, but I think it is a good idea. It gives your child a chance to think on his/her feet outside his family - outside his comfort zone, if you will - and I think this is very important for older kids (even younger ones at times).

Also, it may give the child a chance to perhaps reinforce (or give the kid the courage to question) things that he has learned. And, to get another perspective on things he has learned. For example, having discussions with people from different backgrounds can give a child a whole new way of looking at things. I am not referring necessarily to totally opposite believes in this post. I am referring to gaining deepening understanding of a subject/topic because he/she just didn't look at in a certain.

We often visit with a group of friends a few times a month, and I try to encourage my kids to participate for a few minutes in conversations between playing the other kids. Maybe an adult, or even another kid there, may have read the same book, or learned the same topic and history, and can offer a new and exciting point that we didn't cover. Or, when we sometimes debate things, learn to reason using logic to defend their point OR be able to understand with perhaps they were wrong about something (through reason and logic another has presented.)

Again, I don't think it is a requirement; I think it depends a lot on the family and friends you already associate with. But if your kid isn't getting the intellectual stimulus they long for, it is a great idea. Your kids are going to have to be able to defend their points of view when they get out in the world when the go to college or work, so there is nothing wrong about giving them a bit of a head start now.