Menu

Mucinex...has anyone taken this?

I went to the Dr. last week and they told me that I have walking pneumonia.

I am on an antibiotic and was told to take Mucinex to clear my chest.

I will finish the bottle that I started last Wednesday in 2 days.

My question is..would it be ok to buy more.

I took this, as it was one of the few things safe for me while pregnant. It was SO much better than the Robitussin or generic guaifenisen syrup I had been taking. Much higher dose too, and you don't have to take it so often so I'm not sure it's THAT much more expensive.

Walgreens drug store has a "house brand" of Mucinex that works VERY well and is priced fairly reasonably. We always keep some on hand.

The name brand has always worked very, very well for me and can be claimed on an FSA if you have one, but I've been just as happy with the Walgreen version. I have asthma and can't mess around with chest congestion, and Mucinex seems to keep me from going into full bronchitis (which always takes me at least a month to get over).

Just a suggestion. Mucinex can run up to 24 dollars a bottle here for 28 tablets and the generic tussin is about $5 for around 11 doses. Not an issue for everyone, but might be for some. Disregard if its not useful info for you.

Not a bad suggestion if you only need 11 doses... for me I was having to take it every 4 hours (as suggested on the bottle), so 11 doses would have been less than two days. That would have been the equivalent of 3 or 4 twelve hour Mucinex pills, which is less than $3-4 even at your higher cost (ours was $12 for 14 pills). Plus, there's a big benefit to having to take one pill when you go to bed and another in the morning versus waking up choking after four hours.

I have been taking Biaxin and Mucinex for a week now and I am still coughing a good bit, not as much as before though!

It is breaking up. I was hoping I could get more Mucinex so it could continue to break up what is in my chest.

Should I take it until I stop coughing and having a stuffy nose in the morning??

Mucinex - works great. For some reason, I have found it more effect than generic, but that's just me. I would absolutely try the generic if there is a big cost difference.

I don't take any cough suppressant during the day if I am staying home. This is because I want to get up as much as possible. When I take the Mucinex, my coughs are so much more productive. It will help you even if you are taking a cough suppressant as well. However, I have found that this method (cough syrup only at night) has helped me recover a bit faster from bad chest congestion, than taking the cough suppressant all day.

Of course you would want to make sure you are only taking the Mucinex (or generic) with only the Expectorant for this method.

You can check it out online:

http://www.homesolutionsstore.com/cgi-bin/category/HSS-MUCINEX&source=MuciWeb&kw=Mucinex