Menu

HOD... I had never heard of it before...

Lovedtodeath

I just found it myself...but I am totally in love! :) It is a living book history/science curriculum that has a guide to make it more AOI...but you can pick and choose what completes the rest. For istance, they use Singapore math, but you can do whatever you want. They recommend R&S English, but you don't have to do that either. You buy the parts separately, so you can skip some and get others. :) You can also find the books on Amazon, PBS, and other places.

It has good extensions so parents can combine kids and still work at each child's level. We will start BHFHG and BLHFHG this fall. :)

I know that it has been around for at least 4 yrs. I think that interest in curriculum just comes in waves.

:iagree: Seems like one month, there's a MFW wave, next a TOG wave, then a HOD wave, and so on. It's usually around "ordering" time and tapers off by summer. HOD has been around a few years. I had used their preschool program with my toddler. It's a Charlotte Mason curriculum. They have a wonderful forum on the site also if you would like more info.

I just discovered it last year and started using it this year and it has been great. I think the biggest draw is the open and go plans along with the great books and activities (literally using around the house stuff) that are included. it is an all in one program but you can also uses just parts of it.

Drawn into the Heart of Reading Curriculum was Carrie's first book which was self published in 2001. (She had been an elementary school teacher before that and had put this together during those years) She then started a preschool curriculum with her second son.

I guess it hadn't been talked about much because they were only a couple of guides to start, but she has been putting one out each year and so the publicity has started to pick up momentum with there being more to fit more people's needs.

Anyway hope this makes since.

We just got back from our annual homeschool conference and Heart of Dakota had a booth there with Carrie running it. I was able to look through the curriculum and have questions answered and I was very impressed. It has the draw of the other literature-rich curricula but seemed less "heavy" or intimidating. Looked very doable for both teacher and student. I had just heard about it recently myself.

This year the little man is using WP's AW, but next year I really wanted him to do a 1-year American history. WP doesn't have a 1-year history option.

So, I knew I wanted a CM-inspired 1-year American history appropriate for first grade. First I looked at MFW Adv, but I wasn't sure about the book basket and the types of projects. I also wasn't thrilled with the CLP books that were used as the spine. I had heard of HOD, so I checked it out.

HOD's Beyond looked similar to MFW Adv. It also used CLP, but no book basket. OTOH, it used a textbook spine for science (yuck). Then, I looked at Bigger. I liked the Eggleston spines better than the CLP used in HOD Beyond and MFW Adv. Like Beyond it also didn't use a book basket. Like MFW Adv it uses living science, but I liked the selection of books and the general treatment of topics better than MFW Adv. Also, the activities in HOD just looked more doable than those in MFW.

For some reason there seems to be a large number of homeschoolers wanting a 1-year American history for early elementary school. As far as I know, HOD Bigger, HOD Beyond, and MFW Adv are the only CM-inspired 1-year American history appropriate for first grade. Maybe this is why these programs are being discussed so much right now.

Mandy

I got the catalog. The activities that are samples look really age-appropriate and beneficial. Scooting across a huge globe on the floor? Brilliant!

So someone mentioned that the bible is integrated into everything. How does that work? And specifically, how does that work for American History? Also... is it not possible to secularize? What if you believe in God and creation but your beliefs are not mainstream?

Thanks for the discussion.

I've been following this with interest as it offers a one yr US history based course which would be suitable for us being British. I'd also be interested in whether it can be secularised. Also trying to compare it with SL and WP which I was going to combine this Sept

Stephanie

I can only speak to the year we've been using, Bigger. We have used it secularly. Obviously, we don't use the Bible portion of the program. Other than that, I just do what comes naturally. For example, the other day for science we were to copy a Bible verse and draw a picture of something (I think it was fungus). So, instead of copying the Bible verse, I just had ds copy a sentence from the science book that we were using to draw the fungus. Or if the main idea is that "God wants us to remember......." I substitute my own words.

I actually don't have to do much to make it work.

For reference-I used WP, SL and TOG secularly. TOG was a bust for me. But, the others worked just fine.

As far as using Rod and Staff with HOD, I'm not sure how long we'll be able to do this. For second grade, it has been no problem. It may become unwieldy later.

I think that HOD bigger is the best program I've come across for our family. I wish it had been around for dd. Carrie is very very good at choosing activities that are challenging, but not too challenging. She picks reading selections that are perfect lengths for my child. I haven't developed scratchy throat-read aloud syndrome as I did during SL. And the activities are much better for our family than any other program I've used.

And as another poster said, as the program has expanded, so has the interest in it.

Holly

• 1 year later...

I thought bumping this would benefit someone else who is looking at HOD. I went with HOD Bigger for American History. It is going very well. The books are engaging, the reading is short enough that we don't tire of it. (We tried SL in the past and it was awful.) The activities really cement what we have read... and geography is covered very well (which is my big focus when writing world history, so I am very happy that she has it covered here).

We are getting more done with HOD because it is do-able. The science is so-so. I like that the lessons tie in with history and it is easy, but some of it is below our level and some of it seems to be disconnected. We read about science in Colonial days and then we were to make a map of the big dipper. I didn't get why that was important so we skipped it.

So... to sum up... it is easy to implement and the books are not boring... this year that is exactly what we needed. :D

I am trying to decide if we will do Preparing. I am pretty sure the other levels won't work for us because of the religious (Protestant) content.

I had heard and even looked at it last year. It was too "Christian" for me then. I've been able to come back to some measure of faith...and so I wanted to take another look at it. The thought of having everything planned for me is really appealing!!!!

That said, my kids are heading into the middle ages next year, and I don't want a "western mindset" centered curriculum. I have since learned that quite a few of the suggested books would be a bad fit for us...in fact I would be doing so much tweaking that I just don't think it is worth it :confused:.

So, I'm still looking. I like the way it is put together...I just wish it was more balanced or secular.

I think I love it too! While I'm not super thrilled with the science, my dd really seems to enjoy it. I only wish it took longer :001_smile: (the whole daily plan, not just the science). It is hard to move so slowly through the books, so I have added some additional read alouds that we go as fast as we want to with, since we LOVE to sit and read here. My dd is loving the Burgess books in LHFHG and begs to do that first every day, and also loves the action rhymes. I think it really is the perfect match for her age. Sometimes I consider just doing my own thing for US history next year, but HOD is so deceptively thorough that I don't think I could include as many great activities on my own.

Now I see it all over the place. This has been within the past 2 months or so. How long has it been around and why the sudden interest?

Hmmm....I looked into using this a few years ago. Purchased about three guides but decided not to use them after all. Also the year I needed at the time wasn't going to be available in time for me.

My HOD fever is gone;)

I'm planning to use Beyond next year with my first grader. I don't like the CLP versions of the history texts so I'm planning to use the original versions of the books published in the early 20th century.

None of the history texts for Beyond were originally written by CLP. Two of the books are available on http://www.mainlesson.com in the original versions (Boys and Girls of Colonial Days and Stories of the Pilgrims).

The other book, American Pioneers and Patriots by Emerson was published in the 1950s under the title "Pioneer Children in America". This book looks very good and will be easy to use with the Beyond guide. I checked it out from the library to make sure.

I haven't figured out what to substitute for the CLP science yet but it will probably be Elemental Science's intro to science or Singapore's Start-Up Science.

Edited by Manamana