Menu

Do you subscribe to The Old Schoolhouse Magazine?

Aloha2U

Do you subscribe to The Old Schoolhouse Magazine?  

1. 1. Do you subscribe to The Old Schoolhouse Magazine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I really like this magazine. It has so much variety! I actually don't mind the advertisements since I can learn about new products that way. They have such a nice variety of topics. The edition that featured the young girl who was a fabulously gifted artist was so interesting!

I got a really good deal on a one year subscription so I'm trying it. After a few issues, I find that I don't read all the articles, but there are definitely some interesting ones in there. It's very encouraging. The main thing I don't like is the layout. Too busy, makes me overwhelmed, and it's hard to follow. I probably won't renew.

I've been getting their emails "The Homeschool Minute" for several months now.. maybe a year, I don't know, and with their April 1 special I hopped on board like a crazed maniac! (They had a special to get a year sub plus a year digital for $14.09 and I hopped on it quick. I was also "thinking" but that made my decision for me. LOL)

Anyway. I'm supposed to get their spring issue for free because of something else, but the year sub is supposed to start with the summer issue. I'm excited because I enjoy their Minutes emails so much!

I have received it off and on over the years - right now I've choosen not to get it. The one issue with this magazine that drives me insane is that I don't think I've ever read a negative review of any homeschool product. Everything is just the best choice you could ever make and that's just not real life. I do enjoy the articles but really had a hard time with the reviews.

I don't. I'm subscribing to Practical Homeschooling, but I'm not going to continue after my subscription expires. Too conservative, too opinionated for me.

I don't know too much about This Old Schoolhouse, but if it's too religious/conservative I may have to pass it up too.

The one issue with this magazine that drives me insane is that I don't think I've ever read a negative review of any homeschool product. Everything is just the best choice you could ever make and that's just not real life.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can't subscribe for this reason.

I used to subscribe to it, but I let the subscription lapse. I stopped reading homeschooling magazines and even stopped visiting homeschooling boards for a few years. My wants decreased greatly once I stopped reading about all the wonderful homeschooling materials that are available. I also stopped switching curricula so much (but that was partly due to signing my oldest kid up for online classes and partly because I finally found some curricula I loved).

If I were to subscribe to a homeschooling magazine, it would be The Old Schoolhouse. It's my favorite of the ones I know about.

And in fact, that's how I feel about it and I got the HUGE Black Friday discount, which if I remember correctly was the whole year for 7.95. For that price, I'm happy with it.

The magazine I really really love is Homeschool Enrichment. There are monthly columns, written by wonderful seasoned homeschoolers. It is very God centered but not opinionated and annoyingly conservative. It's all about encouragement, information all in a Christian delivery.

I used to subscribe to Practical Homeschooling but I felt like that was total garbage. I wouldn't even GIVE it away to my friends. Their opinions come off as holier than though, and rude. They harp on the same issues over and over again, and don't present any relevant information. It's absolutely awful.

So TOS is a whole lot better than Practical Homeschooling, but Homeschool Enrichment is worth your money. I would wait on a sale for TOS.

I subscribe and I like it, but I get annoyed with all the e-mails from their "partners" that I get. They are ALWAYS selling something! Their latest thing is E-books. I hate E-books and I really hate getting all the e-mails about E-books, especially when I don't think they're really all that great! I like the homeschool minute, and I enjoy the encouraging articles, just cut it out with all the E-Books!!!!:rant::lol:

BTW I've tried to get off their lists, but when I do I don't get the e-mails I do want. :rolleyes:

I used to subscribe, but did not renew my subscription when it ran out. The only reason I did not renew is that I am having to watch my spending. I was going to subscribe when they just offered their special this week, but money is really tight, so I did not cave in and order it.;)

Of the homeschooling magazines I have read, it is my favorite. To me, it has much more content than others. There is a good variety of articles and it seems there would be something for any homeschool approach. In my opinion, it did not have too many ads. When I used to get Practical Homeschooling, it seemed to be mostly ads. It was a small magazine, and there were lots and lots of ads. With TOS, it is a large magazine, and mostly was filled with articles and real content, so I did not notice an abundance of ads.

I do recommend it , especially when they offer a great deal. :)

:iagree: This really bugs me too! I do currently have a subscription, though, and enjoy it for the most part.

I have received it off and on over the years - right now I've choosen not to get it. The one issue with this magazine that drives me insane is that I don't think I've ever read a negative review of any homeschool product. Everything is just the best choice you could ever make and that's just not real life. I do enjoy the articles but really had a hard time with the reviews.

Thanks for the info about HE., CT. I agree with you about Practical Homeschooling. It used to be good, several years ago, but I have been so disappointed by the last several issues (no subscription, I read it at the library).

I'm going to check out Homeschool Enrichment.

And in fact, that's how I feel about it and I got the HUGE Black Friday discount, which if I remember correctly was the whole year for 7.95. For that price, I'm happy with it.

The magazine I really really love is Homeschool Enrichment. There are monthly columns, written by wonderful seasoned homeschoolers. It is very God centered but not opinionated and annoyingly conservative. It's all about encouragement, information all in a Christian delivery.

I used to subscribe to Practical Homeschooling but I felt like that was total garbage. I wouldn't even GIVE it away to my friends. Their opinions come off as holier than though, and rude. They harp on the same issues over and over again, and don't present any relevant information. It's absolutely awful.

So TOS is a whole lot better than Practical Homeschooling, but Homeschool Enrichment is worth your money. I would wait on a sale for TOS.

Yep. But the same is true of every hs mag I've ever read.