Menu

What does the Hive recommend?

I volunteered to bake items for a church bake sale. So what are some good items to bake? What have you had success with before? Are the items individually wrapped? I am an experienced baker, but I'm a little brain-dead and can't think of anything besides brownies and cookies!

Thanks so much!

When I am at a bake sale, I always head straight for the brownies and lemon bars. To be honest, I'm not really supposed to eat very much of either of these (wheat sensitivity), so I don't trust myself to make them at home anymore because restraint is not something I have in abundance.... Being able to purchase just one works out well for me. My kids love any sort of fancy looking cupcake.

I'd stick with what I did well or perhaps a new, easy recipe. :001_smile: One thing that always does well with the kids is candy apples, even thought they aren't baked LOL! Yes, individually wrapping things is a great idea. Other things that go well are whole baked pies, loaves of bread (including banana bread) and medium sized quiche (in the 6" tin pie shells) although you'd have to watch for proper refrigeration. They're cooked, and good for a few hours, but a few ice packs would do great for the finicky customer. :001_smile: Yummm I'm getting hungry!

I think it's great you're asking! I like to support bake sales but don't want to stock up on sugar and more sugar, kwim? I've taken this corn muffin recipe to potlucks before and it's been very well received:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Corn-Muffins-with-Green-Onions-and-Sour-Cream-100366

I usually substitute plain yogurt in for the sour cream just because it's what I have on hand.

Homemade pretzels and some homemade flatbread/crackers are other ideas. If you have a good pizza stone, a basic pizza dough recipe will usually puff up into pita bread. I've gifted homemade pita bread too and had good comments on it.

These are my favorite cookies - a few in a bag is plenty. They're very rich.

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup solid shortening

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except pecans and glaze.
  3. Blend at medium speed to dough is stiff.
  4. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 10 to 13 minutes until deep golden brown.
  6. Cool.
  7. Top each cookie with 1/2 tsp pecans.

Brown Sugar Glaze

2 Tablespoons butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 Tablespoons milk

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Melt butter
  2. Stir in brown sugar and milk.
  3. Add powdered sugar; blend to make a glazing consistency.
    Drizzle glaze over pecans.

Thanks guys! I have a great lemon bar recipe. Everyone in the church has a great brownie recipe so there probably be lots of those. I have some Amish Friendship Bread and Banana Nut Bread in the freezer so I'll thaw those and take them. Then maybe I'll make some corn muffins or rolls. There weren't many people signed up to bring goodies and this is the biggest fundraiser of the year for our Pre-school. Txmomof4, thanks for the recipe, I think I'll make these for home. Poor hubby goes nuts when I bake to take out of the house and leave him with nothing yummy!

A while back I came across something about bake sales, what to make, and what not to make (things that do & don't sell well). I'll look for it, but in the meantime, my search has found this from http://www.postgazette.com/food/20001005bakesale2.asp How to have a successful bake sale:

an exerpt:

Q. Is there a Top 10 list of favorites? And is there something they all have in common?

A. Donations should be things that either can be eaten on the spot or those that can be carried home without accident. Food should travel well and be easy to divide.

These are perennial best sellers: banana bread, pound cake, cupcakes, cookies and bars, carrot cake, homemade doughnuts, muffins, fudge, jellies and jams, caramel corn, seasoning salts, candied apples, popcorn and almost anything chocolate.

Supply a clipboard and pencil so customers can write requests for next year. Never throw away broken cookies or survivors of disasters that can't be sold. Break up the cookies or cake further, put the pieces in a napkin-lined basket and offer them as samples.

You probably already have a great brownie recipe, but in case you don't, I'd recommend this one:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipeOld?RID=470

You can leave out the espresso powder if you don't have any. Also, you might want to leave out nuts if folks are concerned about allergies.

These are the best brownies I have ever had.

Have fun baking!

GardenMom

My ginger cookies are such a huge hit at bakesales here that I get requests for them as gifts. lol

Giant Ginger Cookies

Bake: 12 to 14 minutes per batch

Ingredients:

• 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 4 teaspoons ground ginger

• 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

• 1 teaspoon ground cloves

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1-1/2 cups coconut oil

• 2 cups granulated sugar

• 2 eggs

• 1/2 cup molasses

• 3/4 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar

Directions:

1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat coconut oil with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 2 cups granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and molasses. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.

3. Shape dough into 2-inch balls using 1/4 cup dough. Roll balls in the 3/4 cup coarse or granulated sugar. Place about 2-1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. (Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.) Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Makes twenty-five (25) 4-inch cookies.

I'd pay a pretty penny for buckeyes (chocolate covered peanut butter candies), cheescake, baclava, individual bread puddings, or napoleons. I tend to go for the more unusual desserts - I figure I can make brownies and cookies myself. I love to sample new and different treats.

I sent Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownies to my SIL's school bake sale. And got a marriage proposal.:D

They're really, really good, make a LOT (1/2 sheet pan) and travel/keep well.

I've got to second these. I've never taken them to a bake sale, but they are quite impressive in looks and taste.

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies.

We use the recipe for oatmeal raisin on the quaker oatmeal box lid... but sub cranberries plus more cranberries. Always get rave reviews & easy to make!

A lady at our church always donates homemade sour dough bread. First thing to go!

One Mom makes cinnamon rolls using a biscuits instead of yeast. Kids line up for any cake walk or bake sale to get Mrs. Hinton's cinnamon rolls.

Edited by Dirtroad

I don't have coconut oil, can I use vegetable or olive oil?

My ginger cookies are such a huge hit at bakesales here that I get requests for them as gifts. lol

Giant Ginger Cookies

Bake: 12 to 14 minutes per batch

Ingredients:

• 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 4 teaspoons ground ginger

• 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

• 1 teaspoon ground cloves

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1-1/2 cups coconut oil

• 2 cups granulated sugar

• 2 eggs

• 1/2 cup molasses

• 3/4 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar

Directions:

1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat coconut oil with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 2 cups granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and molasses. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.

3. Shape dough into 2-inch balls using 1/4 cup dough. Roll balls in the 3/4 cup coarse or granulated sugar. Place about 2-1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. (Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.) Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Makes twenty-five (25) 4-inch cookies.

We've been doing lots of bake sales to raise money for our Bible quizzing group (we are expecting to have 2 teams go to nationals so we need hotel money).

Anyways, things we have been selling, cutout cookies, chocolate chunk cookies (so much more impressive than just chips), rice krispies dipped in chocolate on top, banana bread, Quiver's cinnamon rolls (I bake them in a metal pie pan), mini cheesecakes (baked in muffin papers, I made regular with cherry on top, lemon-crust made from cake mix, and turtle), I make assortments of cakes and bars in 8x8 pans (just use a standard 9X13 recipe and make two pans).

I love this chocolate cake - it's super moist

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,151185-238195,00.html , any and all pies and cheesecakes. 7 layer bars, bags of carmel corn or Gorp (chex cereal, candy, pretzels, etc), any kind of frosted decorated cookie - you anything that makes it look special. Frost your brownies - put crushed candy on top - I use peppermint sticks lying around from Christmas but anything that can be crushed up and has color works great. I baked cupcakes in ice cream cones and frosted them to look like ice cream and that was a big hit with kids, pretzel rods dipped in chocolate and rolled in an assortment of crushed candy or nuts.

Last summer we sold lots of bigger things, cheesecakes, cakes, pies etc but are finding now that people are preferring the smaller items, a plate of 2-3 brownies, individual cupcakes, etc.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

Mini-loaves of quick breads sell fast.

I always buy these at bake sales. Especially banana walnut!

These bars are so good and so easy.

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup corn syrup

1 cup peanut butter

6 cups rice crispies

1 bag chocolate chips

Melt first 3 together, don't boil! Stir several minutes on med heat till smooth and shiny, remove from heat, add cereal and stir. Spread in cookie sheet with sides ( I use my broiler pan) Dump chips on top and place in low oven to melt, spread to cover. Let cool and chocolate harden. Cut into bars. Soooooo good.

When I am at a bake sale, I always head straight for the brownies and lemon bars.

Oh my! Yes! I don't make these at home much because we'll all just stuff ourselves silly. Brownies and lemon bars are always the first to fly off the tables at local bake sales here.