Menu

Portland Field Trip Must-Dos

We are heading to Portland for over Memorial Day weekend and staying for four days. I can add an extra day if I need to.

We know we want to go to OMSI, the zoo, and the children's museum. We're not as interested in going back to the End of the Oregon Trail. I'd like to visit that giant park some day but not this time; my kids aren't hikers and I'll be 34 weeks pregnant while we are there.

Are there any other must see places in Portland that you'd recommend we consider?

There is a beautiful scenic drive in the Columbia Gorge just outside of Portland. There are several really awesome stops including many waterfalls, most are accessible without a hike at all. I highly recommend it.

When you are downtown you *have* to go to Powell's bookstore. It is a city block of books, new and used, including hard to find books.

Being from the Northeast, we were just fascinated by the whole aspect of trees, lumbering, etc. That museum was a hit when we visited Portland in 2007.

Sigh......wish we were back in the northwest......one of our best vacation ever!

Another vote for Powell's and Multnomah Falls/Columbia Gorge. Saturday Market is fun too. If you're up for the drive, I'd also try to get out to the coast. Seaside is fun for kids (lots of arcades, etc.), Cannon Beach is beautiful and more grown up. The Tillamook Cheese Factory is fun too (and has ice cream samples sometimes!!). I don't remember the drive time to Tillamook from Portland though.

Washington Park (where the zoo is) should have some sort of deal where you can get into the zoo, the children's museum, the logging museum and anything else in that park for cheaper than if you'd paid for them all individually.

Drive to this place http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1537&RefID=1504 and eat breakfast. You're pregnant, so you have an excuse to indulge. It's the BEST cinnamon roll I've ever had!!!!!! Oh my, and the serving sizes!! I think it was maybe an hour west of Portland. Totally fun and worth the effort. There's an elk reserve just south of there, in case you are into that kind of stuff, and some really big trees to hug. (You'll see the signs telling you where to pull over.)

There's an Ikea in Portland, just across from the airport. We didn't get to go, and I was SO bummed.

BTW, I don't know if you'd want to do this while pregnant, but we did a flying tour of Mt. St. Helens that left from the smaller airport in Portland, and that was TERRIFIC. You could just send your husband and older kids. There's only room for 3, maybe 4 in the plane anyway. It was unbelievable, so worth the money. From there you just keep driving east and you can do all the falls in the scenic gorge. Eat at Tad's Dumplings. Worth the wait. Can you tell I plan my trips around food? :)

There are many falls in the gorge, but I don't know if you'll feel up to the hike. They're really stunning though if you can. You just drive along and stop at each sign, park, and walk. If you get a travel guide like Fodor's, it has all the distances and info for each one and tells you which are worth going to. I plan all my trips with Fodor's guides. They're indispensible!

Edited by OhElizabeth

Portland Attractions Pass can be a good deal, this link will tell you more about it and the attractions. I was told that The Oregon Trail Museum may have been closed due to budget cuts, so if you do decide to look into the pass you may want to verify each place you plan to visit before you buy the pass to make sure they are operational for the time you are here.

http://www.vacationfun.com/ebrochures/pova/ibrochure/index.html?id=366

Here is the Portland Visitors Association page http://www.travelportland.com/

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would go to Powell's for sure. Another nearby stop might be the Multnomah Co. Library downtown. It is beautiful, as it was restored a few years ago and is just beautiful. There is also the Portland Art Museum downtown, which has world class exhibitions, or even the American Advertising Museum.

Have you considered taking a river cruise? That might be easier since you are pregnant. You can check out one of the top river boats at: http://www.portlandspirit.com/sternwheeler.php.

Are you interested in whole grains and a real mill? Bob's Red Mill is located in nearby Milwaukie - just a few minutes from downtown Portland. They have a guided tour of the mill, a store, a bakery and a restaurant. The whole thing is fascinating if you are into whole grains, baking and/or milling.

If I think of anything else I'll post again. Have a wonderful time in the City of Roses!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by LRB_0754
added link

Another nearby stop might be the Multnomah Co. Library downtown. It is beautiful, as it was restored a few years ago and is just beautiful.
There's also Finnegan's and Little Finnegan's across the street, a very cool toy store and kitsch store respectively. And from the Central Library you can catch the streetcar right to Powell's City of Books.

There's also Finnegan's and Little Finnegan's across the street, a very cool toy store and kitsch store respectively. And from the Central Library you can catch the streetcar right to Powell's City of Books.

Oh yes!! Finnigan's is the BEST toy store! You and your dc will love, love, love it. And next door to Finnigan's is Art Media if you are interested in a fabulous art supply store.

This is all making me want to go downtown and visit these places again myself. Thanks for the great thread!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Drive to this place http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1537&RefID=1504 and eat breakfast. You're pregnant, so you have an excuse to indulge. It's the BEST cinnamon roll I've ever had!!!!!!

Portland has an Original Pancake House...one of the two originals, with terrific coffee, apple pfankuken, potato pancakes etc. It is just south of town off I-5 about 20 feet! If you go weekend mornings there is a wait. I like to go around closing on the weekends, which is 2 or so. Terrific.

This restaurant looks very glamorous in the photos, but is rather cozy. Try lunch with the kids. Best Italian food I've had in the USA. I heard about this group from my old foodie internet crowd and had a "meet-up" there and *everyone* of these picky foodie people thought it was the best Italian food they'd had in the US.

http://www.ilpiattopdx.com/

Edited by kalanamak

I agree with the Powell's books! Oh how I miss Powell's books...sigh.

/quote]

If you like cooking and gardening, the Powell's on Hawthorn has two stores, one a Powells and the other a Powells for home and garden. Between them is a terrific Italian market, and good chinese food right on that block. The lovely English tea room that had a killer Spotted Dick has closed :(.

http://www.powells.com/info/storeinformation.html