Menu

Reading and re-reading all this info about palm oil for my Skippy peanut butter makes

me want to say one thing.

After years of having to research each and every thing I put into my child (allergies), I am sick of it.

I am sick of having to worry about whether or not the food I feed my family is safe. Unsafe food should not be made, produced, or any other verb which explains its existence.

That is all. I feel better now. Not really.:glare:

I wouldn't trust "natural" from brands that normally think that added hydrogenated fat and high fructose corn syrup belong in peanut butter - I wouldn't even need to read the label.

I buy two different brands of peanut butter, but the ingredient list on both is the same - "peanuts, salt". Peanuts have lots of natural (healthy!) fat - why would you add any?

I actually pour about 1/2 of the oil off the top of my peanut butter before stirring it in - hey 50% less fat in seconds flat! I keep meaning to find a container to keep the extra peanut oil in - it would probably be good to stir-fry in.

I know what you mean, even though we don't have allergy problems. We DO have autoimmune problems in our family - and mine are getting much worse as I age. Apparently this is going on all over our country, mainly due to our foods and the products we put on our skin, hair, etc., etc.

I'm beginning to feel that raw and organic, locally grown from a producer I know is the only thing I can trust, LOL.....

I agree, OP. I have bought the Skippy Natural in an attempt to save money. My kids don't eat that much peanut butter, though, so a jar of PB lasts us a while. I love it on pretzels. Try Maranatha Organic no-stir. It tastes so much better, too.

Hey, friend, I'm wondering why you'd even buy Skippy. Peanut butter, as far as I'm concerned, should be ground peanuts, plain and simple. If you can't find anywhere to get freshly ground (but I'll bet you can), go for Maranatha or Santa Cruz or some such brand.

OK, what's the deal with Skippy Naturals? That's all my kids eat right now. :confused:

Evidently it contains Palm oil and sugar. The healthfulness of Palm oil is a subject of controversy (since it is a saturated fat) and even advocates of naturally extracted Palm oil would not consume Palm oil extracted with solvents and other potentially toxic chemical processes, and the labeling is not clear what "kind" of Palm oil is used.

The fact that "Skippy" uses hydrogenated oils in its "regular" peanut butter, doesn't give me much confidence that they'd be using an "organic" Palm oil in their so called "natural" brand.

There are many peanut butters that contain peanuts (and maybe salt) and nothing else. I prefer such peanut butters.

Bill

Eh, we use Skippy Natural. Sometimes you choose to compromise. The kids like the taste and texture and I like the fact that it's a cheap and convenient source of protein. I used to buy Marantha, and in fact I still do for myself or anyone else who wants it, but I had to make EVERY pb sandwich for every child under the age of 14. They'd be pouring peanut oil on themselves, ripping their bread with too-dry peanuts, getting frustrated and whining that making sandwiches is toooo hard. Bleh. I'm okay with a little (possibly processed) palm oil in exchange for a peaceful lunchtime :D

Barb