Menu

So, how many Western NC girls do we have here?

I live in WNC...Franklin to be exact. Well, Cowee to be even more specific, it's 10 miles north of Franklin. We moved here 15 years ago from FL, as most have. We love it here.

Geo

Franklin is about 1 hour southwest of Asheville.

I lived in Asheville until the end of June '08. Now I am in Southwest Va., on the boarder of TN and VA actually. I am 40 minutes from Johnson City and 1.75 hours from Asheville. When I tell people here that I am going to my mom's I often catch myself telling people that I am going to Virginia.

I lived near Robin (Oak Knoll Mom) and we even had a mutual friend, but we never managed to meet.

I live in Charlotte, but I travel to Boone frequently and like to camp all over the NC mountains. I might just have to start having little mini "homeschool gatherings round the camp fire."

I live just outside of Charlotte in Union County! Such a small world... we love heading to the mountains though! :)

I wonder if we are ever at the same meets. My son swims for the Stingrays in Matthews, NC.

If you come to the Shelby meets on June 5-7 and/or July 10-12 we certainly will be! According to my youngest, Stingrays may come to the Summer in the Mountains meet in Asheville too? (She's a cap watcher, lol.)

Unfortunately, due to a bumper crop of illnesses we missed most of the short course meets this year. What a bummer.

Georgia

Denver here. No, not Colorado but NC. I'm at the top of Lincoln County, just before the Catawba county line on Lake Norman.

Hey, I need some great tent camping sites. We've been to Price Park. Let me know of some great ones as we just got a tent last year. The mountains in NC make a great place because the scenery is different but it doesn't take us too long to get there.

My paternal grandmother's family was from Hayesville (Clay County). My grandmother grew up there, went to Western Carolina, and ended up in the triangle where my father grew up, then me, and two of my three children were born there, and we still have a house in Durham though we are now officially ND residents. My father spent his summers as a child on his grandmother's farm. My parents bought a vacation house in Hayesville when I was three, so I spent a lot of time there growing up. I spent a couple of summers there doing community theater with the Licklog Players. I take my family up there every year for Fourth of July when my father's cousin, who has a house on Lake Chatuge, has a big extended family party. So, while I'm not "from" western NC and don't live there, that part of the world is definitely in my blood.