Menu

Grammar curriculum ideas needed

Momof2kids

Hi there. I need recommendations for grammar for junior high. We've done a hodge podge up until now and I'd like to buckle down and get a good serious book for Grammar.

I would like something secular, however, I know that WTM recommends A Beka and we are considering it. Also, Applications in Grammar (I know it's CLP but Cathy Duffy says on her website that it would not put off secular homeschoolers) looks good and meaty and to the point. But I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

In the 2nd edition of TWTM, SWB recommends the grammar program by Rod & Staff. Rod & Staff is a Mennonit publisher and definitely has a Christian bent. I currently use this program and will continue in the middle school years.

SWB also recommends Voyages in English which was originally designed for Catholic schools, but revised for use in all classroom. This may be an option for you.

Hi there. I need recommendations for grammar for junior high. We've done a hodge podge up until now and I'd like to buckle down and get a good serious book for Grammar.

IMHO, Easy Grammar is a good, serious book. I'm thinking you could do Easy Grammar Plus in a year; unless you feel the need to do diagramming, EG should be enough.

Alternatively, you could do EPS's Stewart English Program. Janet in WA likes it very much.

IMHO, Easy Grammar is a good, serious book. I'm thinking you could do Easy Grammar Plus in a year; unless you feel the need to do diagramming, EG should be enough.

Alternatively, you could do EPS's Stewart English Program. Janet in WA likes it very much.

We used EG one year. It was okay. But I have heard a lot of people say their child did not retain the information when using EG.

This year I started dd12 w/ Our Mother Tongue, Vocabulary from Classical Roots A, and Latin Prep 1. When she heard her younger sister doing Shurley English 3, (our first year w/ Shurley), dd12 asked if she could also do SE since it seemed to explain things better. We got SE-7 and she has been learning & understanding many concepts that she just didn't "get" with other grammar programs. Since we started it halfway through this year, I know we'll be using SE-7 for the rest of this year and half of next year. After that, I think we will be done w/ official grammar study unless I notice a problem. SE-7 is really thorough... some of the stuff in there I don't even remember having! DD12 will continue to do Vocabulary from Classical roots next year as well as the Latin Prep. We prefer secular curriculum materials, and SE fits us to a "T"!

Thanks everyone. I'm going with Analytical Grammar. After watching the videos on their web site this is perfrect for us. I want to work through something once not every year like most curriculum companies have you do. I like that it is streamlined this way.

I had never even heard of AG before!

We got our math curriculum finally streamlined in this way so as not to have a curriculum with tons of worksheets to do and retaining nothing.

Thanks so much everyone!!

Thanks everyone. I'm going with Analytical Grammar. After watching the videos on their web site this is perfrect for us. I want to work through something once not every year like most curriculum companies have you do. I like that it is streamlined this way.

I had never even heard of AG before!

We got our math curriculum finally streamlined in this way so as not to have a curriculum with tons of worksheets to do and retaining nothing.

Thanks so much everyone!!

So, do you mind us asking what math curriculum you like for the same reasons? It's always good to know... I see AG in our future some day. Thanks!

Unless you just don't want any references whatsoever in your books to God, I really don't find Abeka to be "religious" in the sense that it seems to be promoting any particular agenda. I don't find the tone of it to be at all similar to something such as Rod and Staff, for instance. I do think it's a rigorous program. Perhaps you could look at a sample of it before deciding?

Regena

I am also looking at JR High next year. I am seriously looking at Analytical Grammar.

We have done Winston 1 and I would HIGHLY recommend doing that. It was a great way to explain grammar concepts.

You might look at BJU. I know it is not a secular program, but the usage of scripture and other religious material is not that heavy - esp compared with Rod and Staff. You could easily overlook it or leave it out I would think. I do prefer BJU to Abeka.

Hake looks very interesting. I have not used it. But, I did consider it for this year. We settled on Winston 1 followed by CW with Harvey's.

I would love to read what you decide - I still need to finalize my 7th grade plans.

Analytical Grammar website is http://www.analyticalgrammar.com. The videos at the website do a great job of explaining the program. We are using Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th grade. AG breaks it up into 3 seasons. 6th grade has 10 weeks of daily grammar work, then review 1x every 2 weeks. 7th grade has 7 weeks of daily grammar work, then review 1x every month. 8th grade has 17 weeks of daily grammar work and then you are done. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well. We have completed Season 1 and are reviewing the rest of the year.

Season 1 - basic grammar (parts of speech, parts of a sentence, basics of diagramming

Season 2 - advanced grammar (verbal phrases and subordinate clauses) (this completes the study of grammar)

Season 3 - application of grammatical knowledge to the rules of capitalization, punctuation and usage

Pros:

• Clear and concise

• Pick up and go (little to no preparation required from mom)

• Teach lesson on first day of week and student can work on their own for rest of week. Only checking/correcting required from mom.

• Each lesson has a theme (American flag, humorous Johnny Carson story, women & math, Mexican-Americans, Martin Luther King Jr., Jewish Americans, fairy tales, etc.) which makes the lessons more interesting.

• Sentences are much more complex than Shurley grammar

• Novelty of getting a letter grade on test

• Comfort of letter grade for perfectionist mom (ds is missing some but still getting an A)

• Student book turns into a reference manual when you remove student exercises.

Cons:

• None that I have found

• Some say it’s expensive. I spent $120 but will use it over 3 years.

Disclaimer: I have a master’s degree in Operations Research, which is concerned with all things efficiency. Part of the reason I love AG is that it is the most efficient use of my time and my child’s time. This leaves time for other wonderful things like math, history, music, and sports! I suppose if you are a good teacher and you teach grammar year after year after year, you learn to make your lessons more and more efficient. That must be with the author, Robin Finley, did.

Hi. Another Lynn. We use Oak Meadow for Math. We are using grade 5 and plan to stick with it. I do not recommend Oak Meadow at all before grade 5 though.

OM Math 5 states the lesson and explains things so simple! I finally understand the patterns for Roman numerals. They actually explained the pattern. Other curriculums I've tried had Roman Numerals and said "Study the numbers. See the pattern?" Well, no not really. Now that Oak Meadow explained the pattern I get it.

OM just explains everything so well and so logically. They explain "if you run into this, you do this, if you run into this, you do this." I don't have to sit there scratching my head trying to figure out HOW they got at an answer.

There is no busy work in OM math. You get the lesson, you get a couple pages to do, then you get a review lesson that has questions pertaining to all previous lessons so you don't forget.

At the end of the year you get one big test on everything.