Menu

Need help...what would be a FAST and effective way to re-do Algebra 1???

I have posted about this before, so I"ll be brief. Dd16 has completed TT Algebra 1 and is doing TT Geometry this year to be completed during the summer. We have curriculum hopped with math so many times because she just didn't get Algebra...tried Saxon, Lial's, Foerster's, TT (but obviously went back to it as a last resort). She is currently a 10th grader. I know she on the "average" track for math and am fine with that.

Here's our problem: As stated many times, TT Algebra 1 doesn't cover some topics that students are expected to know for PSAT/SAT. I have tried to determine exactly what those topics are, but can't because of the "different" TOC. Also, we have come to find out, after looking through some other Algebra 1 books, the TT terminology is not traditional...yes, the topics taught probably are, but my dd looked at another book and had not heard some of the terminology before!!! I'm thinking this is a problem.

If I could figure out what's "off" about TT, I'd cover those things on the side. But it's very difficult to sift through that whole book and compare it to another to figure that out. So, I'm NOT even going to try.

I think her best bet would be to either re-cover Algebra 1 by some other means so she can hear the correct terminology and see the "traditional" methods that will be on the PSAT this coming fall. She is also doing test prep online and we have a test book.

I don't feel good about shoving her into a different Algebra 2 program without her knowing the Algebra 1 better. We want to go a completely traditional route from here on out.

She takes some courses through Keystone. We tried their Algebra 1 last fall, but she had trouble with it at that time...I should have made her suck it up and work through it, but I didn't and I'm sorry. But, I'm wondering now if that might fit the bill? She could probably get through that course now at an accelerated pace since she's already had TT Algebra 1...and then move right into their Algebra 2 in the fall. hmmmm....

Please help me sort through this. I feel I have not served dd very will in math...everything else is great...I cannot do upper level math so she's self-taught. And, although TT has filled a definite need to move slower and be a bit simpler, she needs to move on. I feel as if she is behind now having used TT...it's as if she's only had pre-algebra...she needs to do a traditional program from now on.

Thanks,

Robin

It will identify what she does and doesn't know, and will drill her on what she doesn't know. I don't like Aleks as a primary way of learning the material, but I think it's a good way to review and plug gaps. My other caution is that it's not as difficult as Foerster, for example. We have used Aleks for review at both the alg I and the alg II levels.

you said you need something quick to get her up to speed, and for that reason I wouldn't do VT. It didn't work here at our home. TT Algebra 1 doesn't cover enough (as you are well aware) and doesn't use math terminology.

We have LIALs introductory algebra and are breezing through it. My Dd was 3/4 through TT when we switched. So, I recommend a traditional approach. She will go quickly through the material and will learn the math terminology. It is so important!

Good luck!:)

I have borrowed my Math Relief algebra to someone preparing for math exams.

You wouldn't necessarily have to do all three phases. The first phase has the basics, if that's what you need. One of the others covers quadratic formula (can't remember off the top of my head), if that's what you need. You could pick which phase you need, and speed it up that way.

It's so very clear that you wouldn't have to have any background in particular in order to jump right in, IMHO.

we on the board remind me of the old joke about 3 rabbis coming up with 6 different opinions re. any particular subject! :)

You mentioned having tried Lial's. How did sh e do with that? Lial's is great on the explanations, has fantastic "reteaching" (that's what they call their review) sections at the end of each chapter, and very useful review problems sets. You could have her go through each chapter with a highlighter, higlighting terminology, then have her do the reteaching, chapter review problems sets (I'd do every. single. one.), then the chapter test, and the review sections that come every few chapters. That might be all it would take to help get her up to speed.

???

could you just go with TT Algebra 2 and the TTpre calc and move through them quicker. Then you would have covered all the topics for Algebra 1 and 2 (TT finishes Algebra 2 in Pre-Calc) and then move on to a more traditional Pre-Calc course from chalkdust or something else.

Sandra

Doing a little more TT before starting another program might be a good idea if your daughter has done well with TT. For example, she could work through Algebra 2 and then try a more rigorous program, or she could do pre-calc as well and then try something.

Also look for some PSAT prep books at your library or bookstore; these usually review basic concepts and include some practice tests. That might help you find out where she's at.

Would Saxon be a horrible choice? I ask because I have the Alg 1 set. Could she go through the tests and if she misses anything go over those lessons, etc. There is a possibility she will use Saxon for Alg 2, so not only are we trying to re-teach, but also get up to speed for a possible Saxon transition.

If this is a horrible idea, please let me know. I can order Lials...found all the components just a little while ago!

Thanks again. You've all given me some great things to think about.

Robin

Would Saxon be a horrible choice? I ask because I have the Alg 1 set. Could she go through the tests and if she misses anything go over those lessons, etc. There is a possibility she will use Saxon for Alg 2, so not only are we trying to re-teach, but also get up to speed for a possible Saxon transition.

If this is a horrible idea, please let me know. I can order Lials...found all the components just a little while ago!

Thanks again. You've all given me some great things to think about.

Robin

Saxon is great. And with TT under her belt, hopefully the concepts will make sense. I don't know what age you used Saxon with her before, but in my experience, late elementary and junior high math, especially, can be a pain. I hated Saxon 65 and Algebra 1/2. But Advanced Math was great; as I got older I could appreciate and enjoy math.

Why not try some of Algebra 1? The geometry should be easy what with TT and the other stuff can't be that hard. And if you end up jumping in half-way, I believe the problems are labeled with the lesson number that the infomation was introduced in. That way, if you find a few gaps, you can just go back and review. Also check out the DIVE cd lessons, if your daughter needs more explanation than Saxon provides, these are great.

I would suggest making math a priority, at least for the next year or so. Spend at least an hour on it a day, if possible. While Calc is optional, it is important to have a strong foundation in higher level math. Anyway, that's my advice.

Life of Fred and/or Aleks. We've used Saxon all along until now. When accelerated 7th grade ds began Algebra 1 it just didn't click, so I slowed down and spread it out over his 7th and 8th grade years. Limping to finish the book by year's end, I finally decided that one of the reasons I homeschool is to be able to make correctins in our curriculum and approach. I called the author of Life of Fred, had a delightful conversation with him and purchased his Algebra 1. Son loves to do his math, as it is tied to a story and gives him a reason to do his math. At the same time, I switched my 6th grade dd (who had almost completed Saxon Algebra 1/2) to Life of Fred Fractions, Percents and Decimals. Since both kids now love math, they'll finish it up by year's end and ds will go on to Advanced Algebra for 9th grade and dd Algebra 1 for 7th. You really need to check out Life of Fred. My kids are hooked and they even have "freditis" (my new term which means that they like doing Life of Fred so much that they are doing too many lessons in math per day at theexpense f other subjects!). The author even wants students to call him if they need help! HTH

I've been quiet on this thread because I don't even HAVE a high schooler yet and I obviously have no experience with most of the ideas thrown out so far.

But I haven't seen anyone else suggest the idea that came to my mind, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

How about Gelfand and Shen's Algebra? It's short. It's way too short for an entire year of algebra. But every moment spent on Gelfand and Shen is well spent. And you will become familiar with the standard math terms.

Then get any book - Dolciani Algebra I is one I'm familiar with. Do the chapter tests to see where her weaknesses are, and cover those chapters.

Dee

I have more to consider.

I have the Saxon...we might just start testing through. Although, I know most say don't use Saxon unless you've always used it, we have friends that switched from other programs and went into Algebra 2 without any kind of Saxon review and have done fine.

I have Lials on the way...I'd like to check it out and I want dd to determine which she likes better. She may prefer the constant review. This is something she liked about TT, it tended to review constantly. Although, she did like BCM when she did that in middle school. So, I'll have to let her look for herself.

She has liked the TT, but told me she felt it was a bit easy compared to other texts she's seen. She wants to do something else...no more TT. I like it...it makes my life easy!:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, she wants to have a thorough grounding in math since she is interested in a science field.

The thing is, she is a smart young lady. She just doesn't think she has the math gene like her dad (he's an engineer and can't understand why math is such a dilemma for us). I struggled through hs math and my math fears have rubbed off on her. Shame on me, I guess.

Thanks again. You've all been such a help.

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW

Robin,

As a fellow TT user I would recommend Aleks. We did a combo of TT and Aleks with my daughter and her ACT scores were not too shabby. On top of that, she is taking precalc at the community college and pulling A's and B's on her tests and quizzes. So her learning gaps must not be too awful. I know TT is not rigorous, but I think the addition of Aleks helps a bunch.

Well, I think I'm in the same boat and this is what I have decided, good or bad:

I signed up for one month trial of Aleks for all my dc's and hoping to fit it into the budget to keep. I'm liking it and my dc's are competitive so, although they are at different levels, they still find a way of competing. Sigh. They challenge each other on how many of each pie they got for the day. Oh well, works for me!!

After trying so many different approaches, we are using Saxon again. I bought the lecture CD's at http://www.usingsaxon.com. Although they aren't the most exciting thing invented, they are a thorough explanation of each lesson and are rather short. I have my dc watch the lesson and complete them. If he misses concepts that I believe need review, I have him go back and watch that lesson. So far, we are doing OK with this.

Also, I have Life of Fred and we are going to go through it together this summer. I want him to be well prepared for advanced math.

Just my $.02 but I believe if you have Saxon already, why not use it. Maybe give a test and then cover the lessons she didn't "get."

I would recommend Life of Fred, Beginning Algebra.

:iagree:

My ds used this Beginning and Advanced Algebra from LoF to review for his college placement test after taking more more than a year off from math. He was able to work through the books with the homestudy companion on his own, understand it better than he did the first time and score well on the placement test. He also enjoyed it.