Menu

Can anyone help me with a high rising whole wheat pancake recipe?

I've tried some and though they say high rising, they turn out like tortillas :) Well, not that bad, but look - here's one that says fluffy - sorry. My white bread wonder kids (turning slowly to the whole wheat world) do NOT consider these yummy.:lol:

http://www.wholegraingourmet.com/recipes/pancakes-and-waffles/45-pancake-and-waffle/61-light-and-fluffy-whole-wheat-pancakes.html

I had a post a while ago asking for help and did manage to get some that weren't flat but thought I'd devote a whole post to just pancakes and hope to get a winner.

Thanks in advance.

I make these about once a week and do a quadruple batch and it lasts 2 days :tongue_smilie: my kids are so picky, it drives me up a wall, but they love these....sometimes I'll add in choc chips or blueberries.

This recipe is from the Gourmet cookbook.

Whole-Grain Pancakes

1 1'4 c. whole wheat flour

1/3 c cornmeal

1 tb sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 eggs, separated

1/4 c. vegetable oil

1 1/2 c milk

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the yolks, oil (or substitutes) and milk in another bowl. Add to dry ingredients, mix well and let stand for a few minutes. While it's standing, take the egg whites in another bowl and whip them up until they are stiff peaks; fold into batter. This is what helps the pancakes rise. I've been using the egg white trick on all my pancake recipes and they all come out so much fluffier and lighter. I would guess that if you tried just that trick on your current recipe, they will come out fluffier.

(I used to use butter instead of the veg. oil, and now I use applesauce instead, and both ways turn out really good - obviously the applesauce is healthier, and I don't use vegetable oil. Also, when I'm quadrupling it, I only double the milk, and then use an equal amount of water - otherwise we'd go through so much more milk; again, it doesn't affect the taste or quality of the pancakes.............and sometimes I'll also throw in a 1/2 cup or so of flax meal. Oh, and sometimes I've been out of corn meal and have used white flour, and it turns out great, too. It's really a flexible recipe....occasionally when I have ground up nuts in the freezer, I'll throw those in, too)

Actually I've been trying to perfect a medieval pikelet recipe. It seems you need 2 tsp of yeast for 3 cups of flour, then add as much almond milk as required to get fairly thick, but still pourable batter. I don't know if you have to double the yeast if you double the flour because I'm not that experienced yet. They will, however, rise, because that's what yeast likes to do!

:)

Rosie

take the egg whites in another bowl and whip them up until they are stiff peaks; fold into batter. This is what helps the pancakes rise. I've been using the egg white trick on all my pancake recipes and they all come out so much fluffier and lighter. I would guess that if you tried just that trick on your current recipe, they will come out fluffier.

This is indeed the trick to fluffy pancakes!

Mandy

If you're mixing more than 12-15 seconds they'll be flat and even a little stretchy. You WANT some lumps. Overmixing (very easy to do) causes gluten to form. Gluten is great--if you're making bread.

Do use a whisk and let them sit for about 1 minute. Stir again very gently for 2-3 seconds and pour them on a hot griddle/pan.

Also the very BEST baking powder is Rumsford. It's getting a little hard to find though. Nothing else comes close. If you can find some, that would probably help.

The egg white whipping does work too, but the only time I've ever done it is for waffles. Never thought to try it with pancakes as the only time they come out flat here is when my dh makes them (same recipe). He insists on beating the snot out of 'em.

First, are you using freshly ground whole wheat flour, or store bought? I don't know if there would be a difference in rising ability, but there is in taste.

When I first started using (freshly ground) wwf, my kids thought they tasted great, but they were, as you said, flat as a tortilla. One thing I do now is let the pancake batter sit a few minutes before pouring the batter into the pan. Giving the baking soda a chance to activate makes the batter thicken in the bowl. (I discovered this by accident when I forgot to preheat the skillet and had to wait for the skillet to heat up.)

I've started experimenting with substituting about a third of the wwf with brown rice flour. It still tastes the same, but brown rice flour isn't as heavy as whole wheat flour and it rises better.

One last trick I use, which is not satisfactory but I'm stuck with it until I find a better method...I use an SMALL skillet and make one pancake at a time. Using a small skillet lets the batter cling to the sides easier and keeps the batter up, so to speak. Luckily we're a family of 4, but it still takes longer this way.

While my pancakes are rising higher, they will never be as high as Bisquik. As I've been cooking with wwf, I've forgotten how high Bisquik pancakes are, so not having to always compare them in my head makes it a lot easier to be happier with my pancakes.

As far as recipe goes, I just use the one in my 20 year Better Homes and Garden cookbook.

I've always had fluffy whole wheat pancakes, using the recipe from Laurel's Kitchen. I'm at the library right now, not at my house, but I'll post the recipe later.

And I agree with not overmixing. I use a whisk and only mix until combined. I also use Ener-G egg replacer, and that works, too.

I've tried some and though they say high rising, they turn out like tortillas :) Well, not that bad, but look - here's one that says fluffy - sorry. My white bread wonder kids (turning slowly to the whole wheat world) do NOT consider these yummy.:lol:

http://www.wholegraingourmet.com/recipes/pancakes-and-waffles/45-pancake-and-waffle/61-light-and-fluffy-whole-wheat-pancakes.html

I had a post a while ago asking for help and did manage to get some that weren't flat but thought I'd devote a whole post to just pancakes and hope to get a winner.

Thanks in advance.

Hm. Maybe just adding an extra egg and increasing the baking powder will do it. Make sure you stir it up well.

Jean

Beer...no joke....they are some of the only whole wheat pancakes, that my mom who uses freshly ground ww for EVERYTHING...., that I like.

And...if you can get Oat groats...you can use those for incredible crepes...with eggs, arrowroot powder...kefir...(or milk and some yogurt)...(of course, you grind the oat groats into oat flour)

Carrie:-)

• 7 months later...

I got this blender pancake recipe from these boards about two months ago (I made a few minor changes)...and I apologize for not giving whomever credit. I'M so tired right now that I don't want to do a search to find the original thread. I always double, and freeze the cooked extras. It is also fun to make them HUGE -- like 8" across. They are surprisingly puffy and light.

1 c. milk (or 1 cup plain yogurt, or 1 cup buttermilk or any combination of these totaling 1 cup)

3/4 c. whole wheat berries, NOT flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. sugar (I use raw sugar)

1 egg

1/4 c. oil (I use olive oil)

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. vanilla extract

• Blend the milk/buttermilk/yogurt and wheat berries about 4 minutes
  • Add the rest of the ingredients, blending just a few seconds until thoroughly blended
  • Pour batter onto well-oiled, hot griddle or well-oiled hot non-stick skillet, and cook until bubbles are clearly breaking the surface. Turn and cook until steaming nearly subsides. Don't overcook!
  • Serve hot with butter and real maple syrup. Mmmmmmm......

I cook pancakes virtually every morning. Here is my recipe:

2 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour

2 cups yogurt

Mix together and let set on counter overnight--the fermenting/soaking of the flour makes it more nutritious

In the morning:

Add several eggs--3-6 (I use very fresh eggs, from our chickens)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

(a little baking powder to make them even fluffier)

a bit of milk or water if needed to thin them out

Beat with mixture until smooth. Cook in lots of butter, then add maple syrup! yum.

This is my recipe...it is also posted at recipezaar. It is egg and dairy free, because my kids are allergic to dairy and eggs. This is breakfast every day.

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 tbsp Rumford

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup cooking oil

2 cups plus 2 tbsp water (you can use milk or a milk substitute if you want but water works fine)

Whisk together dry ingredients, then add in oil and water and whisk until smooth. Cook one pancake at a time quite slowly, on med-low or low heat. I use a non stick pan or a well seasoned cast iron pan. Do not flip until the pancake is bubbly and the bottom is cooked to the edges.

I serve these with apple juice syrup: 1 cup apple juice, 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, bring to a boil, allow to cool. Store in mason jar in refrigerator. The apple syrup and cinnamon pancakes are really good together.

Came back to add: I am making them now. I measured a couple and they are 1/2 inch thick. I don't know how much loft you are looking for but these are 1/2 inch. Also, I do not worry about mixing too much. I remix them with the whisk before I pour each one. They are very thoroughly mixed. I think the key with this recipe is that the batter is thick, and must be allowed to cook very slowly.

Edited by Laundrycrisis2

One useful trick is to cover the pan. I regularly make pancakes without egg because of DD's allergy, and this is what's recommended to make them rise enough.

My recipe (I got it from Vegweb originally)

Can be easily multiplied:

1 C. flour (at least 1/2 C. WW plus any other you'd like)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1-2 tbsps sugar or other sweetener (honey, molasses, etc.)

1 tbsp oil

1 C. (approx) liquid: yogurt, applesauce, banana, juice, milk, water; you add enough liquid to get a thick but pourable consistency; I'll often mix something thicker (banana or yogurt) with a thin liquid (milk or water)

1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

You can leave out the sweetener if you use juice or banana or another such liquid.

Mix the dry ingredients with a whisk, then add the wet ones just until a moist consistency. It's VERY important not to over-do the mixing, esp. without egg in the batter

1 Egg entirely optional; I often add one after I've poured off DD's pancake.

Pour pancake onto medium oiled skillet, cover. Cover again after you flip it. It really makes a difference!