Menu

This is silly. BUT, can I still get opinions on these activity choices?

I overthink everything. At this point, whatever I had to sign up for first would probably win.

I want a thorough exposure to the arts........

I've asked dh, he gave me a "pro" for each side and said it was up to me. He doesn't have the stamina for examining the minute details associated with each decision. :D

We are going to do Classical Conversations, which rotates spending 6 weeks/1 hr per week/ on music, drawing, art history, music history, etc.... I hate doing art projects, but my mom is a hobby artist and occasionally does clay or painting with the kids.

Option 1: Homeschool choir. 45 minutes per week. Winter and spring musical/program/something..... dd does this now and LOVES it. Maybe add music lessons? Or maybe I should check into art lessons, since music seems to be covered and I dislike doing art?

Option 2: Fine Arts Academy. 4 hours on one afternoon a week. Roughly, hour each of: music, art, drama, history. They're also doing ancients, so it ties into CC and what we're doing at home. Consider the extras covered. Oldest goes by herself and I could spend some one-on-one time with the youngest, who desperately wants to do school and would love having the attention.

Well, my decision would probably be made a little bit around the other kids that were doing it and the quality of the teachers, etc. But if all things were equal I would probably go with option 2 at this stage and maybe do a choir when the kids were older if they want.

I overthink everything. At this point, whatever I had to sign up for first would probably win.

I want a thorough exposure to the arts........

I've asked dh, he gave me a "pro" for each side and said it was up to me. He doesn't have the stamina for examining the minute details associated with each decision. :D

We are going to do Classical Conversations, which rotates spending 6 weeks/1 hr per week/ on music, drawing, art history, music history, etc.... I hate doing art projects, but my mom is a hobby artist and occasionally does clay or painting with the kids.

Option 1: Homeschool choir. 45 minutes per week. Winter and spring musical/program/something..... dd does this now and LOVES it. Maybe add music lessons? Or maybe I should check into art lessons, since music seems to be covered and I dislike doing art?

Option 2: Fine Arts Academy. 4 hours on one afternoon a week. Roughly, hour each of: music, art, drama, history. They're also doing ancients, so it ties into CC and what we're doing at home. Consider the extras covered. Oldest goes by herself and I could spend some one-on-one time with the youngest, who desperately wants to do school and would love having the attention.

I'd go with #2.

I'd want it all, rofl. I'm no help, sorry! Is the music in #2 instrumental instruction, music history/composers, or singing...? If it's singing or choir much like option 1, I'd choose #2 so that you could have that plus the other subjects. My kids would enjoy it. I'd check out the teachers like Mindy rec'd though.

I'd want it all, rofl. I'm no help, sorry! Is the music in #2 instrumental instruction, music history/composers, or singing...? If it's singing or choir much like option 1, I'd choose #2 so that you could have that plus the other subjects. My kids would enjoy it. I'd check out the teachers like Mindy rec'd though.

Is your child still doing gymnastics and dance in addition to this two other activities? Are you requiring any more academics at home besides what is covered in Classical Conversations? I think the benefit of the second activity might be outshined by the opportunity to have one day at home where they can play and explore. I think the activity would also depend on how much commuting you had to do to get there.

Just so you know, I struggle with putting a limit on activities out of the home. I like to take advantage of all the fun, educational classes out there, but also know it's good to have days were we can also go to the zoo or the aquarium or a park on a moment's notice.

She's 5. I'd go with choir---the activity that she loves. The hour a week she is getting at CC is plenty at that age IMO for the rest. Provide the child with some paper and crayons/etc and let her play with them. That is fine for art for a 5 year old. If she is doing CC, gymnastics, dance, Awanas, etc she is getting a lot of structured activity already. I don't really think adding 4 more hours of it is necessary for kindergarten---I agree with the other poster that downtime for free play is more important.

My husband had to constantly remind me when our daughter was that age that she didn't have to do everything and have every experience by the time she was 6;), so I think I know something of where you're coming from. I kept doing things like buying craft kits and supplies hoping to spark an interest in her, thinking we needed to go to every class, every opportunity, but it really didn't work and wasn't necessary. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I am now seeing that as she gets older, there is a season for everything. Now at 8 she is getting very interested in the crafts she wouldn't touch (even though my friend's daughter liked them earlier).

She's 5. I'd go with choir---the activity that she loves. The hour a week she is getting at CC is plenty at that age IMO for the rest. Provide the child with some paper and crayons/etc and let her play with them. That is fine for art for a 5 year old. If she is doing CC, gymnastics, dance, Awanas, etc she is getting a lot of structured activity already. I don't really think adding 4 more hours of it is necessary for kindergarten---I agree with the other poster that downtime for free play is more important.

My husband had to constantly remind me when our daughter was that age that she didn't have to do everything and have every experience by the time she was 6;), so I think I know something of where you're coming from. I kept doing things like buying craft kits and supplies hoping to spark an interest in her, thinking we needed to go to every class, every opportunity, but it really didn't work and wasn't necessary. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I am now seeing that as she gets older, there is a season for everything. Now at 8 she is getting very interested in the crafts she wouldn't touch (even though my friend's daughter liked them earlier).

:iagree:I think you've got it covered with CC, so why add all of those subjects again? I would choose the choir because she loves it.

:D

But, that is the reason for my hesitation on the fine arts academy. 3 1/2 hours does seem like a long time to me. I just don't know how they schedule breaks and such. She loves art and I don't like doing it. I don't even like getting out paints, which is why I've considered this. The mess stresses me out.

Maybe I can see if my mom would be willing to do something with her more frequently.

As of today, I'm leaning towards just doing choir. While they are both on the same afternoon, this option frees up 1 1/2 hours before and an hour after. Much easier to come back home and get dinner cooked, too.

If the timing is right, I would go with option 2. IMO, you can always incorporate choir activities later when the other wouldn't be such a good fit.

The other thing I wanted to share is a revelation that I came to a couple of years ago. I am a life-long learner and hope my dd will be also. I realized that I was trying to pack everything worth knowing into her early homeschooling years. I realized that it wouldn't be a disaster if I left her some great things to discover for herself when she is an adult! That was such a radical thought for me at the time, but it really has reduced the pressure I put on myself (and dd) to get it all in right now.

I recommend choir. I lead children's choirs so I'm a little biased. However, something to consider is that children need exposure to singing in order to find their singing voice. When children sing at early ages it is easier to develop their singing voice and ear training. Some chidren take until 3rd grade to pitch match so keep that in mind if this is a struggle. If they are interested in singing, I say go for the choir.