Menu

Mangos

What do you do with a mango??? Are there any special instructions for cutting it? Do you just eat it? Like you would an apple or a peach? Is it enhanced with something else, like putting a bit of sugar on a grapefruit enhances it? Are there any particularly good recipes using mangos? We've obviously never had a mango before, so any tips are welcome! Oh - what does it taste like? Thanks!

I did a google search the first time I bought one. I found a site that showed me how to cut it. It was really sweet and my kids loved it. I just chunked it and we ate it. But, I remember the pit being kinda big compared to the fruit and we wished we'd had more in the end. I have another awaiting consumption right now. We liked it that much!

Wow. A mango novice. We drown in mangoes every summer. they are our favourite food!

We slice off two sides close to the seed. Then we cut criss cross over those pieces and push in the middle on the skin side. Voila, lots of chunks of mango to eat. Dont know if i explained that well though.

Then, just ho down on the rest of it. Its normal to get messy eating a mango. Dont eat the skin, althiugh I dont think it will hurt you.

I cant imagine adding sugar- our mangoes are sooooo sweet and juicy. if yours isnt, maybe its not ripe yet? It should smell yummy and be a bit soft.

Oh, you are so lucky, to have whole world of mangoes ahead of you :)

Mangos are delicious. :)

It should be slightly soft to the touch, maybe like a ripe plum and then it is ready to eat.

A common way to eat it is to slice down to the pit, long ways (top to bottom) and cut around or pull out the large, thin, almond shaped pit in the middle (so you may cut almost to the center on two sides and have the strip in the middle that is about 1/4 inch think with the pit in it)

Then take your knife and cut the flesh down to the skin, but not through the skin in strips from top to bottom, then from side to side so that it looks like this:

mango1.jpg

Then eat!

Doesn't need anything on it to enjoy it. It tastes kind of like peachy and banana-ee. Tropical tasting!

Thank You! I always know I can get just the help I need here! Thanks, too, for posting the photo!

Peela - your post really tickled me - all three responders made me eager to try this *new thing* - but yours put fun and joy in it somehow - just tickled me!:)

Guest Virginia Dawn
Wow. A mango novice. We drown in mangoes every summer. they are our favourite food!

We slice off two sides close to the seed. Then we cut criss cross over those pieces and push in the middle on the skin side. Voila, lots of chunks of mango to eat. Dont know if i explained that well though.

Then, just ho down on the rest of it. Its normal to get messy eating a mango. Dont eat the skin, althiugh I dont think it will hurt you.

I cant imagine adding sugar- our mangoes are sooooo sweet and juicy. if yours isnt, maybe its not ripe yet? It should smell yummy and be a bit soft.

Oh, you are so lucky, to have whole world of mangoes ahead of you :)

MMMmmm. I wish I was drowning in mangos. There is nothing like a fresh ripe one off the tree. They are a dollar a piece here, and not very ripe. It drives me crazy that I used to be able to get them for nothing.

My kids love mango smoothies. Just put yogurt, or whatever you normally put in a smoothie in it.

We all love mangos. My husband loves them the most and is allergic to them. Sometimes he cannot resist and will eat them anyway. He just know his face is going to swell.

Here, we put them on popsicle sticks and also sprinkile lime or chili on them. Course, we put lime and chili on EVERYTHING. :) mango season started early this year - February. April is prime mango season and they've already dropped greatly in price (season is upon us). We can easily go through a couple kilos a day.