Menu

Anyone have a kindergarden graduation for dc?

DD is finishing K in a few weeks. I hadn't planned anything other than I was going to take her to the place where you paint pottery to paint. She's been begging to do this. I thought maybe a special family dinner too.

Then MIL calls the other day and wants to have a graduation for dd. She wants to rent a cap and gown for dd and have dd sing or something and make it a big production. I don't want to do this at all!!!! Dh doesn't seem to care one way or the other. I don't see dd going for it, esp the getting up in front of everyone to sing. It seems so ridiculous and unnecessary. How do I get out of this?!?

I agree with the others.

Sheeeesh....they graduate umpteen times before they actually graduate from highschool. Every grade is a graduation.........

I say pottery sounds fun.

MIL can come to special dinner and celebrate. More for MIL than dd.

Renting a gown is a bit excessive in my mind.

She can use the money for build a bear or a special day for the 2 of them.

We did a kindergarten graduation at home since that is where we have school. But it only consisted of dd, dh and I. I printed out a kindergarten diploma earlier in the day, I made a little speech about how proud we were to have an up and coming 1st grader, presented dd with her diploma, had hugs and kisses and then went out for dinner. Not including dinner the whole graduation lasted 2 minutes.

My children will be lucky to have a celebration when they finish high school.

Goodness, I feel for you. Have your MIL watch the Incredibles. There's a great line in that movie about small children having graduations.

Pottery sounds good.

Lol! That was my EXACT thought. "Someone needs to watch The Incredibles."

Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.

Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.

Helen: It's a ceremony!

Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity...

:iagree:

Our hs group has a big K graduation ceremony and it's a lot of fun for the kids, but I wouldn't rent a cap and gown for just 1 child at home. If you MIL really wants a picture with a cap, they're less than $6 at Rhyme University:

http://www.rhymeuniversity.com/Preschool_Kindergarten_Graduation_Packages%7Cc6_o0.html

Or you could make one from construction paper and poster board.

Our co-op does a kindergarten graduation too and we would have participated except for odd cercumstances. ( I posted about that a while back, long story). However, I have always thought that they were silly. I remember getting a graduation announcment for my cousin's child about her K graduation. I thought, Huh? Why? But, to each's own. We ended up doing nothing for our child and that was fine. We just told her, "Good job!"