Menu

Have you noticed a thinning of children's sections?

I've been reading about new regulations that are affecting children's products like clothes and books. One article I read mentioned that Half Price Books (one of my favorite chains) had pulled a lot of books from their children's sections.

Since we're overseas, I can't toddle down to my neighborhood Goodwill or used bookstore and check the effect out for myself.

I was wondering if anyone had already noticed this going on in their area. It is reportably affecting children's clothes in thrift stores and children's books, especially in thrift stores and used bookstores. Although I've even read of a couple libraries that have removed children's books from circulation.

depends on the thrift store --the law is vague enough that some attorneys are advising their clients to dump it to cover some sue-happy American. Others are convinced that congress can't be THAT stupid and wouldn't stand behind such a law.......

i was in Salvation Army yesterday in Dallas -- i saw NO children's books, ONE children's ride-on toy [all plastic], but still had children's clothing.

Another set of thrift stores is still happily selling kid stuff.

The thrift store in our little town has decided to NOT carry children's products and posts a sign stating why. They are putting all children's donatons into a big bin and some salvage company comes along, buys it, and trucks it down to Mexico [or "out of the coutry"]. So much for keeping kids safe..... I guess only American kids are worth protecting.

i did, however, pick up a set of Moving w/ math books for a quarter a piece ;)

For a while our thrift stores were not accepting toys. It was earlier during the recalls. I recently donated some to Salvation Army, I didn't see a sign against toys, but I haven't noticed as many in there when I shop.

Our Goodwill has a tons of children's clothing however

Depends on the store. I was in Goodwill the other day and they have cleared out all children's merchandise--clothing, toys, books, etc. The Mission store is keeping children's merchandise as well as some of the local consignment shops.

Yvonne in NE

It is one of the stupidest laws I've ever heard of ... rant rant rant.....

Hopefully, after some time when the manufacturers catch up, donations will be 'safe' again and these stores will restock.

For you book collectors, anything pre-1985 printing is considered taboo under the new law because of lead levels in the ink. So get 'em now, before stores catch on that they aren't supposed to sell them. (I've been hitting up library discard sales like crazy lately.)

you want to know what I think?!

Well I'm telling you what I think anyways!:D

I think it's a stupid conspiracy between companies and the gov't to force people to spend more money and to spend it on newer (often cruddier made) items!

:rant:

of all the stupid (*)^&&^ ()*&*^^*9*&^*(%^*^*&!

What are they going to do when people who shop places like goodwill don't have funds to shop elsewhere???

If I had had to buy store new price for the items we've bought at Goodwill - I'd have to completely do without them. No way. We're talking probably a $1000+ worth of kids clothes, shoes, toys, books over that last year alone that I'd ballpark figure we didn't spend more than a couple $100 dollars for.

In fact, just looking at my kids right now, 3 of them would not be wearing what they have on, for 2 of them, that would even include their shoes.

I think every used merchandise type place should boycott this law and the public should refuse to buy new for a month to support them in civil disobediance to this thoroughly stupid law.

I think they should put up signs and be on the news saying they are doing this and hope the public shops their stores to support them.:patriot::rant:

It is one of the stupidest laws I've ever heard of ... rant rant rant.....

Hopefully, after some time when the manufacturers catch up, donations will be 'safe' again and these stores will restock.

For you book collectors, anything pre-1985 printing is considered taboo under the new law because of lead levels in the ink. So get 'em now, before stores catch on that they aren't supposed to sell them. (I've been hitting up library discard sales like crazy lately.)

It is the books especially that make me wish we were in the US. I would be lined up at the library sales and combing the used book stores that books that I want to make sure I have access to. I keep thinking of the scene in The Red Violin where they discover all the instruments that were hidden through the Cultural Revolution.

What I find especially disturbing is that there is no evidence of a child being harmed by a book. But now there are going to be parents who only catch a portion of the discussion and think that older books are a danger rather than a joy.

As for clothes in thrift stores, I'm not sure that they will catch up in less than several years. Any metal attachments (zippers, rivets, snaps) are now suspect. Again without evidence that these items pose a harm. So at best we'll have to wait for brand new merchandise to be purchased, worn, outgrown and sent to thrift stores. At worst, the thrift stores will decide that any coats or jeans with metal zippers, snaps or rivets are a permanent hazaard to their business.

Did you realize that even ball point pens are covered under this? Or that if you make ribbon hair barettes for a bazaar you are a manufacturer? That even groups who make things for donation (like knitted items for hospitals) are liable?

This thing about the books is especially sad to me. We love to pick up some old children's books at antique stores. I'm looking at one right now called Told in Story: American History Book One printed in 1922. It covers American History from 1492-1815. I've also checked out of the library (usually from interlibrary loan) several wonderful books printed in the 1930's. I love old books. What are they going to do with all the older books?

This thing about the books is especially sad to me. We love to pick up some old children's books at antique stores. I'm looking at one right now called Told in Story: American History Book One printed in 1922. It covers American History from 1492-1815. I've also checked out of the library (usually from interlibrary loan) several wonderful books printed in the 1930's. I love old books. What are they going to do with all the older books?

Well, they're prohibited from selling them as children's products. They might sell them as vintage books for adults, but several online booksellers have pointed out that not only is this rather deceitful, but also is harmful to their businesses as folks that want collectables don't want dinged up ex libris copies and folks who want reading copies don't want collectable prices. Not to mention just the nightmare of getting books into the hands of families who want them (and are willing to sort out the risk for themselves) without listings that mention their appropriateness for kids.

Libraries can't sell them at book sales. Thrift stores can't sell them. They can't give them away either, since the law also covers donations. I suppose they could have some are marked free for consenting adults and teens only.

Half Priced Books is reportably storing the books they've pulled, but it's hard to predict what they'll do in the long run. I'm not sure how many public or school libraries will have the resources to store large swaths of their collections or the money to replace removed books with newer copies.

I picked up three lovely 1950s biographies last fall. They were in the best condition I've ever seen, with color covers and end papers and they hardly seemed read. Last summer dh found 3-4 Landmark bios at a library sale that looked like they were new from the book club. They even had paper dust jackets. This quality of book might get moved over, bagged up in plastic bags and put with collectable books. But I have no idea what the fate of books that are nice reading copies of old classics in the $1-5 range will be.

Libraries can't sell them at book sales. Thrift stores can't sell them. They can't give them away either, since the law also covers donations. I suppose they could have some are marked free for consenting adults and teens only.

Half Priced Books is reportably storing the books they've pulled, but it's hard to predict what they'll do in the long run. I'm not sure how many public or school libraries will have the resources to store large swaths of their collections or the money to replace removed books with newer copies.

just a clarification:

stores aren't prohibited from selling them, per se. They are simply open to liability should a product that left their hands become an issue. Our library is still selling children's books at their ongoing library sale, so if anyone is looking for anything specific, PM me ;).

I know, that's such bad wording, "Sure, go ahead and sell, but if it harms someone, you're liable." Really, what good does that do? That's why thrift stores and small businesses and craftspeople are being hit so hard ... they can't afford to test and sort through everything, so they're safer just not dealing with the products at all. I know more than one place that's cutting back items ... Hope Chest Legacy is one online store that's been keeping up posting information. Our local homeschool consignment shop has been hit hard too.

I've been a pretty obsessive book collector since childhood, and my favorites are usually OOP titles ... I worried sometimes about my obsession, but now I'm glad ... I've got some wonderful treasures that'll be impossible for future generations to find. :(

just a clarification:

stores aren't prohibited from selling them, per se. They are simply open to liability should a product that left their hands become an issue. Our library is still selling children's books at their ongoing library sale, so if anyone is looking for anything specific, PM me ;).

this just adds to the stupidity, imnsho.

it's not like america's gov't needs to give folks ideas on how to sue each other.:glare:

I mean really, who thought before this about sueing a store for selling pre 1985 printed books because there MIGHT be lead in the ink?:001_huh:

and even so, there's no way they'd be able to prove a problem, much less a serious problem directly stemmed from that purchase and not any other environmental cause. no way to near impossible.

this just adds to the stupidity, imnsho.

it's not like america's gov't needs to give folks ideas on how to sue each other.:glare:

I mean really, who thought before this about sueing a store for selling pre 1985 printed books because there MIGHT be lead in the ink?:001_huh:

and even so, there's no way they'd be able to prove a problem, much less a serious problem directly stemmed from that purchase and not any other environmental cause. no way to near impossible.

That really is the joy here. :glare: The law is based on the presumption that the item is harmful, not any actual evidence that the items in question cause harm. So the violation is in selling a item not proved harmless, not in causing actual harm.

It would have been nice if the authors of the bill and those who voted for it had looked more closely into actual evidence of harm, rather than this broad brush effort instead.

And sadly, all the effort, time and money spent on this effort to make a miniscule reduction in lead is effort, time and money not spent on more effective abatement, like in homes with lead paint. Personally, I think you could clean up, repair and repaint an older home, stock it with a small bookshelf of older pre 1985 books and still come out ahead.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I think it depends on the store, and the area. Our thrift and consignment stores are still accepting everything, and selling everything. However, they don't have as much because so many are there buying up children's items "just in case".