Menu

How much would you pay a baby sitter. . .

I've got 5 kids also (2-8) and I pay $12/hour also. I would offer $100/day and give them a nice tip or gift when I returned.

This is about what I have done also.

I think a daily rate is absolutely reasonable. Daycares do something similar: their daily rate is MUCH higher than their weekly rate, and their hourly rates are usually higher than their daily rates ;)

$100 a day, so $200 total. For five kids, I wouldn't have a young teenager do it, unless she had a "team-mate", like a sister, to share the care, especially of the young ones. I would want at least a college student, or an adult, and I would expect to pay them well for their time and expertise. I would expect them to keep the house picked up, and the dishes done, and the children clean, and well cared for.

$100 a day, so $200 total. For five kids, I wouldn't have a young teenager do it, unless she had a "team-mate", like a sister, to share the care, especially of the young ones. I would want at least a college student, or an adult, and I would expect to pay them well for their time and expertise. I would expect them to keep the house picked up, and the dishes done, and the children clean, and well cared for.

She is a sophmore in college so she is 20. She is an absolute gem. Her parents are the ones in our church everyone asks how they turned out 5 super good kids.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking 200-250 so you are all in my ball park.

for all day Friday, overnight, and all day Saturday for 5 girls ages 9 down to 2? Dh and I have a chance to go over night to the Midwest Homeschool Conference. I usually pay my sitters well-- 12.00/ hour. Do you pay an hourly rate or a daily rate or what??? Thanks!

I haven't done this myself, so I could be way off, but I was thinking somewhere around $50 per day, so $100 total. As a teenager I would have thought that was a good amount of money for two days' work. Actually, I would *still* consider that a good amount of money for two days' work! :D

I haven't done this myself, so I could be way off, but I was thinking somewhere around $50 per day, so $100 total. As a teenager I would have thought that was a good amount of money for two days' work. Actually, I would *still* consider that a good amount of money for two days' work! :D

Her sitter isn't a teenager. I think that $200 would be fair.

No offense meant, just a question.

Why tip a babysitter? My feeling is that you pay them a reasonable amount that is agreed upon. If you are going to tip them, why not just say that is the amount you'll pay?

In this case: instead of $100/day for 2 days = $200. If you give a $20 tip (or what ever amount) why not just offer $110 a day in the beginning?

We're talking about caring for kids --- wouldn't you be nervous about someone who does a better job looking for a tip when caring for KIDS?

No offense meant, just a question.

Why tip a babysitter? My feeling is that you pay them a reasonable amount that is agreed upon. If you are going to tip them, why not just say that is the amount you'll pay?

In this case: instead of $100/day for 2 days = $200. If you give a $20 tip (or what ever amount) why not just offer $110 a day in the beginning?

We're talking about caring for kids --- wouldn't you be nervous about someone who does a better job looking for a tip when caring for KIDS?

I wouldn't state that I'm offering a tip upfront.

First off, I wouldn't hire anyone to watch my kids that long unless I already knew they were gonna do a great job. And it wouldn't be a teen. But since they are watching My Angels :D then I think an extra Thank You gift is appropriate --great sitters are hard to come by, and it is worth every extra to let them know how much they are appreciated.

Chances are my idea of a Tip would either be a non-monetary gift or [if monetary] money that I had budgeted for my trip that i was able to save --paying it forward, so to speak.