Menu

Saw my first famous person today

While at the stingray exhibit at the zoo today I looked up to see a rather well known actor, his wife and dc come in! I reacted with such poise...jaw dropped, stared openly, grabbed my 12yod and said, "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS?!" (of course she didn't and thought her mom had gone nuts), tried to take a picture with my cell phone as evidence to my dh that I wasn't imagining things, even trailed him to the next exhibit! How grown up of me! But it's surreal to see someone on TV and then have him pass by me just inches away the next day! I managed to talk to his lovely wife/girlfriend and compliment him on his work (he wasn't there, he had his ds on the merry-go-round), and we talked about babies/kids.

What surprised me was my reaction for the rest of the day. I thought about how their admission to the zoo was nothing to them financially whereas I had to really weigh if we could go or not. Even paying $1 for the stingray exhibit for each child took some thought. I thought of where they must be staying that night - surely not the Motel 6 we would have to go to! As I thought about it more I got angry. Why are some people paid so much stinking money for acting or being able to play a sport well? These people make more money than I will see in a lifetime and for what? Entertainment??? I think of the teachers out there (homeschoolers included) who struggle to make ends meet. They should be paid the big bucks! I felt guilty for feeling angry because our situation could be so much worse - we could truly not be able to afford a zoo trip, my dh could lose his job, we could lose our house...really my life is amazingly comfortable financially. But it still bugs me how much some people make and all for the entertainment factor. lol, I "entertain" some very important people every day...can I be paid??? I would have no problem whatsoever being wealthy. :)

Oh well, I'm off to watch him on TV again, bummed that the picture I tried to take didn't come out well. Should have just asked him to autograph my zoo map or something.

oops! Sorry!! I am beyond exhausted from being at the zoo all day with 9 kids by myself!!! Chris Noth - Law and Order guy. That's the only show I allow myself the luxury of watching and like the ones with him on it the best. He also played Mr. Big on Sex and the City. And let me just say that he is WAY good looking IRL! Whew!! :D

I understand! I struggle with similar feelings at times. :grouphug:

I have to remind myself that somewhere in this world there is someone who feels the same way about me. We have so much compared to much of the worlds' population.

I used to take a young teen girl to church functions and often found myself complaining to her about the "rich" neighbors. What I often forgot is that she usually washed her clothes in the bathtub by hand, because her parents used the money for cigarettes, etc. The eventually moved to a motel. She had no privacy at all and had to get rid of her dog. She thought I was rich.

I'm with the others. Who did you see? :bigear: Edit: Looks like you answered while I was typing. Now I have to go see who this guy is. Can you tell I'm not a TV watcher?

Chris Noth! Be still my heart :w00t:

May I just say that in your situation my poise would have been at least as bad as yours if not worse. I'd probably start visibly drooling. And it's not that I don't love my husband I really do. But Chris Noth is a fine piece of eye candy :lol:

oooh, he is good looking!

We were delayed on our family trip to Italy, hanging out in the airport when I hear this deep, almost creepy voice. Turned to see if someone is sick (then sit someplace else) and notice it's Willem Dafoe and his wife.

Catty corner from us was this tall, gorgeous woman hiding behind her sunglasses in a big group of friends. When I heard her speak, we realized it was Tyra Banks. DH was impressed! :P Man, she's really tall and totally gorgeous--even without makeup.

You never know how you'll respond until you're in the moment.

Willem Defoe totally gives me the creeps in every movie he is in! Okay, except Mississippi Burning....it's funny to hear his voice sounds that way in RL too.

I have stumbled onto a few famous people (Rhea Perlman, Danny Divito, Woody Harrelson, Kirstie Alley all summer around here~among others (hey, it's Maine) and IF I recognize them, I'll just try to act totally normal or give them wide berth. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to walk down the street with people following/pointing/staring/asking for autograph. I've also seen some "minor" celebrities in the area (artists, authors, photographers) who it's easy to interact with depending on the venue.

I have a story that is not mine, but I'm sure my friends won't mind me sharing. Back in the late 80's they were in NYC at Tavern On The Green/Twin Towers. It was late at night when they were there and were about the only people there except for this group of guys sitting in a corner. They realized it was Sting with and entourage. So they were trying to be discreet, but noticed the entourage kept looking at THEM and whispering. Finally they over heard one of them say "See? SEE? They recognize you!" and my friends were so disgusted. One of the girls got up, walked to his table and said "You keep looking our way and it's OBVIOUS you've recognized me. Here is my autograph already!" She laid her signed napkin on the table and left.:tongue_smilie:

Five stars to you for NOT asking for his autograph--he was on his time off.:) Just because someone loves acting and happens to get into a successful show/career, doesn't automatically mean that they don't deserve a private life, IMO.

My brother is a jaw droppingly good looking TV/movie actor (not as famous as this one, yet, but things are definitely moving that way and he already has fan groups.) But, honestly, they're just people. Really. I changed my brother's diapers the normal way, he ate the normal way, did all the normal things (puke when sick, you get it.)

I used to be impressed by famous people, but not now that I have one who is getting there. I'm very, very happy for him (and very glad that he's the opposite of a prima donna or he'd be impossible to be around!) but they're just people who happened to land good roles. Even if they're really talented, there's no guarantee good actors get good roles.

And, for those of you who don't "know" me here, I don't give out his name because he uses my maiden name (his name) and it's just TMI for me or him (he keeps his private life private although he's never said I couldn't tell.)