Menu

Any natural to help a 12yr old deal with emotions?

Is there anything I can give my 12yr old (soon to be 13) son to help him deal with these swinging, dramatic emotions? Everything is devastating to him. Something he did just fine yesterday in school he suddenly "can't" do (he's not trying) and he's in an emotional tailspin for the rest of school. I'm not waiting for him to finish his mood tantrum, so we move on. I warn him several times that if he doesn't adjust his mood and work on this with me, he'll be left to complete school after his brother has probably finished. So, brother is finished and he's made it to crying over math, which is not the subject he melted down during.

It's not the work and not the subject. It looks to me as the same thing as what I went through at this age. I didn't know why I felt the the way I did or why my emotions felt all over the place. I felt so out of control of myself sometimes. By the way, most of the time he's great. But lately it's almost once a day that something dramatic hits him and he's a weeping, "I can't do it" mess.

So, are there any roots, vitamins, minerals, electroshock therapy suggestions? ;) Just kidding on that last one. Is there anything along the natural route I can give him to give him an upperhand on dealing with these emotions? Thoughts??

Thank you!

Guest Lilith785

lol. Not so sure about the electroshock therapy, however there is a root called Kana. Do your research first though.

random.gif

Gaba (amino acid) It is used for stress, depression, ADHD among other things. We are starting it tomorrow.

Also EFT (http://www.tapping.com)

I am so glad you posted this b/c our day was exactly how you described.

Something he did just fine yesterday in school he suddenly "can't" do (he's not trying) and he's in an emotional tailspin for the rest of school. I'm not waiting for him to finish his mood tantrum, so we move on. I warn him several times that if he doesn't adjust his mood and work on this with me, he'll be left to complete school after his brother has probably finished. So, brother is finished and he's made it to crying over math, which is not the subject he melted down during.

DS went through this at 10-11 years old. He cried more often than any of my girls. Drove me bonkers...but found that taking his issues, which were all a result of being overwhelmed, into small, manageable pieces allowed him to grow into a more mentally organized young man. He would become overwhelmed with one assignment, so I would guide him through the initial process. When he realized the mountain was just a proverbial molehill, he could conquer his problem.

He does get frustrated easily, but the tears are infrequent now. We began standardized testing yesterday (IBST) and he initially cried because the time allowed didn't seem to be long enough to accomplish the task. Ironically, it was all attitude. He's finished with ample time. Just work through the initial problem, whatever it happens to be. This is a great chance for you to work with DS on true, meaningful life skills. There is a silver lining ;)

Its probably puberty, hormonal changes, and I am not sure I would give him anything to deal with that other than good nutrition and extra sleep. But maybe give yourself something ? :)

I have a 13yo boy here and he's always been my highly emotional one- meltdowns are daily-, so its not a sudden change. However, I would say overall he is maturing, and that's a good thing!

ETA- I would give him lots of understanding and even explain you remember how hard it was at the same time in your life.

I don't think this is something I would want to "alter" with drugs- even so called natural ones. It's life, and we all need to learn to navigate it with courage and wisdom, rather than resort to things substances which make it easier all the time.

Edited by Peela

My 10yo and 12 yo take 5-htp daily, along with their cod liver oil and greens supplement. After seeing the difference that the 5-htp made in the two of them, my husband and I started taking it, as well.

My 10yo was over-reacting to the strangest things, bc he just could/would not let it go, which made no sense whatsoever.

And my 12 yo became frustrated and emotional over the weirdest things, warning us that puberty was at hand......

Oh, joy~:001_huh:

The 5-htp has really helped all of us.

We have also used Bach Flower Remedies in the past and for personal or emotional growth issues, they are a great help.

(BFRemedies are among my favorite natural therapies)

There really are endless possibilities with holistic medicine and along with researching the subject at hand, the greatest tool you have is your intuition~

I always think of this Aesop fable:

A mountain was once greatly agitated. Loud groans and noises were heard, and crowds of people came from all parts to see what was the matter. While they were assembled in anxious expectation of some terrible calamity, out came a teeny-tiny little mouse who came running out towards them.

And ever after they used to say, "Much outcry, little outcome".

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/mental-health/omega-3-fatty-acids-depression-00919.html

I just ordered Udo's oil for us too. It was doctor prescribed. Omega 3s is usually the first thing to try. Udo's is good flax oil (you've got to be careful that your flax oil is processed correctly and kept refrigerated thereafter) along with some others.

I just posted this morning about my 12 year old son having problems with his emotions. I am going to try some natural remedies but also have him seen by a doctor. I had the same emotional issues after having each of my children. I hope you are able to figure out how to help your son naturally.

Welcome to the world of adolescent boys! You have my sympathy. Your biggest asset will be patience and flexibility. A couple things we have found helpful:

Healthy, well balanced diet. My carbaholic son needed to have regular snacks WITH PROTEIN (not his favorite - several bowls of cereal.)

Essential fatty acids - can be in the form of fish oils or EFA only supplements.

Physical exercise. Something strenuous can help work out those emotions. Sometimes I engage my son in a "standing sumo" contest. We face eachother, lock hands and push hard to try to knock the other person over - no sudden moves, just strength. He will fight hard. Eventually, after several minutes (and some sweating on my part), we both erupt into laughter. This may not last long because he is 15 and getting stronger every day. Afterwards, I usually send him out for a walk if possible. I am thinking of putting up a punching bag in the garage for my boys to use when they need to get out some aggression. My dad had one for my older brothers. Now I see why:).

Good luck to both you and your son.

And my 12 yo became frustrated and emotional over the weirdest things, warning us that puberty was at hand......

Oh, joy~:001_huh: ~

My sentiments exactly. We are going through the same thing at our house. In the last three months my little boy has become a hormonal MESS! Which has really made getting school done difficult.

ARGH! Think there is any chance that this will be over by September? :tongue_smilie:

Rhonda

Zinc is particularly a concern for teen/pubescent boys, so I'd start with zinc. GABA is also a good idea, as are Essential Fatty Acids and high protein meals (especially breakfast). Probiotics can be helpful, too.

I *love* that this board popped up with so many really good ideas. I thought I was the only nutcase who is into "biomed" solutions! :)

Lisa

Physical exercise. Something strenuous can help work out those emotions. Sometimes I engage my son in a "standing sumo" contest. We face eachother, lock hands and push hard to try to knock the other person over - no sudden moves, just strength. He will fight hard. Eventually, after several minutes (and some sweating on my part), we both erupt into laughter. This may not last long because he is 15 and getting stronger every day. Afterwards, I usually send him out for a walk if possible. I am thinking of putting up a punching bag in the garage for my boys to use when they need to get out some aggression. My dad had one for my older brothers. Now I see why:).

I like these ideas. We are going to try them here!

I know how you feel. I constantly feel like I am talking ds10 down from ledges some days. So far physical activity, patience and lots of hugs are working here.

Welcome to the world of adolescent boys! You have my sympathy. Your biggest asset will be patience and flexibility. A couple things we have found helpful:

Healthy, well balanced diet. My carbaholic son needed to have regular snacks WITH PROTEIN (not his favorite - several bowls of cereal.)

Essential fatty acids - can be in the form of fish oils or EFA only supplements.

Good luck to both you and your son.

Wow~ what a great "mom-of-boys" you are! My friends who are moms of all boys fascinate me; they just seem to possess... something. :w00t: Thanks for your post.

Chiming in late here, but I have to say: Chores! Lots and lots of physical labor, with no shaming or anger from me. Just matter-of-factly I assign one chore after another, preferably outdoors, and I try to work alongside him.

School is on hold because as you have noticed, nothing educational can be accomplished until he stops the attitude and defeatism.

A day of work, and DS 12 is back to himself again.

I love the pushing game, Ethel R. We'll be doing that as well. :001_smile: