Menu

Ugh. I sold something, mailed it and it hasn't arrived in 6 weeks. Now what?

The person would like their money back. I don't want to give it back, because when it arrives (won't it arrive sometime???) she'll have the books and my refunded money. Am I obligated to give park of it back? All of it? None of it? What says the hive mind?

ETA: It was an odd shaped package sent media mail. I didn't get insurance or tracking.

After reading some replies, do you think it fair to split the cost? Or, b/c I'm the seller I have to take the loss?

Edited by KIN

I sent CW-Homer wrapped up in plain brown paper, but didn't secure the tape well enough..I guess. When the buyer advised she never received, I called the Post Office, who rudely explained media mail is the slowest possible way to send something. And, I just needed to wait it out.

At this point, it had been about 3 weeks...I figured for the sake of goodwill...I refunded the money. It was only $15, so if she did ended up receiving the book and didn't pay me...oh well.

But, just a few days after refunding...I received a portion of the book's wrapping in the mail from a postmaster in WI, where the wrapping finally separated from the book. I sent a pic of the book cover back to the postmaster, in case it was recovered...but no luck.

I was out the $15 and no book....I learned my lesson to secure the packaging very well and pay extra for the tracking and insurance if I'm not willing to forfeit the money.

I think that 6 weeks is a long time to wait for a parcel, so I can't say she's out of line for asking for a refund.

If you didn't insure or track the parcel, then the PO won't be any help. If you did, you can go to the PO to see where it might be.

Either way, I think, in the interest of fairness, you should refund the money.

I know this isn't what you will want to hear, but imagine if it were you and you paid for materials that never came. Wouldn't you call the company or person and request a refund?

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you probably needed that money to buy more curriculum. But, if you do the right thing now, you'll recover the money and the curriculum somehwere down the road.:)

Blessings,

Kim

PS Maybe she's a really honest person who will let you know if she ever receives the book.

know this isn't what you will want to hear, but imagine if it were you and you paid for materials that never came. Wouldn't you call the company or person and request a refund?

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you probably needed that money to buy more curriculum. But, if you do the right thing now, you'll recover the money and the curriculum somehwere down the road.

Ya, I think I know that I need to refund the money. It just stinks. But, I *do* want to do the right thing. :) Maybe I just needed some sympathy and hoped for a way out. :)

Just an fyi for future - if you print postage at home online - delivery confirmation is free. I like to do that so I can know for sure if it is delivered. Also - for future - I usually establish ownership pre-shipping - like I'll say - here's the price but insurance is on the buyer - if you want it, you pay for it and if you don't, it's your risk. HTH

I bought an Artistic Pursuits book off the board here and it never arrived. She also took her time in mailing the first time (IIRC). I asked for a refund but she sent another (same AP) book in its place. I thought it was kinda weird she had 2 of the same book, but whatever. The first one she sent has never arrived. The second one did, though. And, FYI, I ordered this book in September or October. My mail service neglected to send it to us while we were in the US and it JUST arrived here a week or so ago. It's been a LONG wait!