Menu

5 yo DD complains of "achy ankles"...

Maybe a warm bath before bed or warm rice packs? Stretching exercises?

Has you dd got new shoes lately, started a new class (like dance or gymnastics), or learned a new skill that requires extra impact on the ankles, legs, or feet?

Come to think of it, I used to give both of my girls calcium supplements as they didn't tolerate milk well (not an allergy per se), and I have just SPACED it lately!

I remember when I was little, my pediatrician made me put a pile of marbles on the floor, and moved them with my toes to a new pile, and back again...I bet that was a trick to get my mind off of the pain! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the calcium suggestion, warm rice packs, and the others as well. My mom-in-law (her grandma) has RA. Is RA hereditary?

RA is the only form of arthritis that is hereditary. My father had a severe case. You can be tested for RA with a blood test. Both my sisters have been tested, one positive and one negative. I prefer not to know unless I have to. My ds15 has been complaining of knee and shoulder pain and I am considering having him tested.

I have ankle, knee and hip pain but mostly ankles, sometimes walking in the morning is next to impossible withoout holding onto walls and furniture for a few hours. It is due to plantar faciitis(sp?), I have to wear shoes all the time, though I do not wear insoles. My ankles started hurting when I was around 9 with general achiness, but progressed to this stage of inability to walk, and the knee and hip pain in recent years because I had never had the ankles checked out in the first place. Simply wearing shoes with good support and not going barefoot at all even inside(I bought indoor shoes specifically to wear in my house), can help reduce the tension in the foot and give the ankles proper support reducing the pain.

My 5 yo has been waking up complaining that her ankles hurt. I remember having growing pains in my feet, but never my ankles. If it is growing pains, any suggestions to alleviate the pain without just dosing her up with Tylenol or Ibuprofin?

While it could be something serious and you should check with your doctor, my dd of about the same age suffered with ankle pain for quite awhile. I checked with her doctor, and it was deemed to just be growing pains. Tylenol helped when it was really bad. Other times I would just massage them for her and it seemed to help.

RA is the only form of arthritis that is hereditary. My father had a severe case. You can be tested for RA with a blood test. Both my sisters have been tested, one positive and one negative. I prefer not to know unless I have to. My ds15 has been complaining of knee and shoulder pain and I am considering having him tested.

Blood tests aren't always conclusive, though. It's more that there are several markers they look at and assess your symptoms.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this thread late but just wanted to add...

I had "achy ankles" for years that started when I was about 8. I was finally diagnosed with osteocondritis desicans (sp?) at about age 14. The problem was that for all those years, I did gymnastics and many other sports, exacerbating my condition and causing me to need surgery. I did have a LOT of pain. My parents thought that if it hurt as bad as I was telling them, then I wouldn't be participating in sports like I was...but that was not true. I LOVED sports and gave it my all not matter what, even if it hurt, even at that young age. Then I'd go home and cry. It hurt like crazy. But they just never took it seriously, because the next day, I'd be out there again, doing flip flops. The point is, if a kid complains for any length of time - get it checked out.