Menu

White kitchen cabinets

Depends on how much you notice small messes and if you are willing to wash them often.

I wash the fronts of my cabinets constantly, so it wouldn't bother me. But I have friends who don't like to mess with it...it wouldn't be a good choice for them.

If you do, make sure to buy the most washable paint you can afford. It may need to be an oil based, to really get them to stand up against the washing.

I would also consider the amount of dust in your house. Nearby construction, living on a dirt road, or in an arid environment all add to the natural dust in the air. That dust combined with moisture in the air from cooking, will make them dirty a lot faster.

Another concern is if you have a vent hood and if you use it. The moisture in your kitchen and grease from cooking can make the cabinets hard to keep clean too.

Mine are the original 1965 white that they were when this house was built. I *LOVE* it. They are flat-front cabinets, and they do not get very messy even when I have the mixer on and food starts getting thrown everywhere. I can use Magic Eraser on them and everything comes right off without any problem, and then I can see that they are well and truly clean. My kitchen is already big, but the white makes it seem airy and a wonderful space. I wouldn't trade it for anything - except maybe a new countertop. :)

Kids + Magic Erasers = spotless white cabinets.

I assign the chore to 2 kids. One cleans the wall cabinets and the other cleans the base cabinets.

Last week, the dog dropped a large plastic bowl of spaghetti sauce when he was taking it off the counter. The splatter hit the ceiling, stove, and all cabinets on that wall.

The dog has started a new business as a Magic Eraser testing service.

Unless you sand those ash cabinets down, prime them, and do several coats of white paint, yes, you'll regret painting them when the paint starts to chip. Ask me how I know.

We ended up having an Amish craftsman make new kitchen cabinets for us (hard maple....lovely!) but I suffered with the white chipping ones for too many years. I wish now I'd just left them alone because they really looked crappy.

Ria

Unless you sand those ash cabinets down, prime them, and do several coats of white paint, yes, you'll regret painting them when the paint starts to chip. Ask me how I know.

We ended up having an Amish craftsman make new kitchen cabinets for us (hard maple....lovely!) but I suffered with the white chipping ones for too many years. I wish now I'd just left them alone because they really looked crappy.

Ria

Yep, and unless you figure out a way to fill the grain or smooth it somehow, it will show through the paint anyway. We lived in an apartment with wood cabinets that had been painted over, and while it did lighten up the kitchen, they chipped super easily.

My advice, FWIW, is to look at some decorating forums and see how popular woods like birch, hickory, and quarter-sawn oak are right now. It might make you appreciate your grainy cabinets more, even if Ash is not the grain that happens to be trendy at the moment.

I've had white cabinets since we moved into this house, and just replaced the ancient ones with brand new cabinets, also white. I am *not* a particularly stellar housekeeper (sigh), but I don't think the white cabinets are a mistake at all. They keep my rather small kitchen bright and light and open. As others have said, anything that gets on them is easy to spot quickly and wipe off... I hated my old cabinets, but just 'cause they were horrid (and ancient). ;) The new ones are lovely!