Menu

President Obama's Writings Diagrammed

There is an article on Huffington Post that grammar-buffs may enjoy. I hope it doesn't violate "no politics" rules. Fair warning, there is a small mention that compares the current president's syntax with that of the past president, but that's not why I posted this.

Some of your children may find it interesting too.

Bill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/18/what-sentence-diagrams-re_n_167988.html

But he doesn't actually write his speeches, correct? I was thinking most (all?) presidents employed speech writers. At any rate the diagramming will be interesting! I am a diagramming newbie. :)

The diagrammed sentence evidently came from an answer at a press conference, so I believe it's extemporaneous. And he is somewhat criticized (in this instance) for his use of ""copulative predicates" which tend to obfuscate some of the sample sentence's meaning.

Bill

The diagrammed sentence evidently came from an answer at a press conference, so I believe it's extemporaneous. And he is somewhat criticized (in this instance) for his use of ""copulative predicates" which tend to obfuscate some of the sample sentence's meaning.

Bill

ETA: I should have said not have said "writings" in the topic heading. It is one long spoken sentence. My apologies.

ETA #2 i didn't mean to quote myself. Double apologies.

There is an article on Huffington Post that grammar-buffs may enjoy. I hope it doesn't violate "no politics" rules. Fair warning, there is a small mention that compares the current president's syntax with that of the past president, but that's not why I posted this.

Some of your children may find it interesting too.

Bill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/18/what-sentence-diagrams-re_n_167988.html

Yes, that was VERY cool to read!!! Not just how it was diagramed (my son said, "WOW!!"), but how the diagramer extracted meaning from that very long but understandable sentence, just by knowing grammar.

I find I'm analyzing sentences more for meaning, too, as my grammar knowledge grows, too. Thanks for posting this!

1) The diagram was intriguing, but I disagree with some of the interpretations, especially the prep. phrase modifying the verb in the middle of the diagram. ??

2) I'd like to have seen a diagram of "sentences [that] are indistinguishable from Google Earth closeups of small rodents, drowned in mud puddles." Which do we think would have been more fun? ;) Let the picture do the talking, baby!

Slinking back to my grammar curmudgeon box....

Valerie (who often sets off the Grammar Police with her online posts)

Edited by Valerie(TX)

2) I'd like to have seen a diagram of "sentences [that] are indistinguishable from Google Earth closeups of small rodents, drowned in mud puddles." Which do we think would have been more fun? ;) Let the picture do the talking, baby!

I think Kitty Burns Florey has an example in her book Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog. She also diagrams some of Sarah Palin's sentences in a Slate article.

Oooohhh! Does this position exist? I would love to apply for professional diagrammer. I wonder what the pay for that would be, and if I could do it from home?.....now my wheels are turning.:D

I was thinking the same thing! I would think it would be a ridiculous position but, then, I had no idea until a few months ago that people were actually still employed as philosophers, so there is hope for us.

I think Kitty Burns Florey has an example in her book Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog. She also diagrams some of Sarah Palin's sentences in a Slate article.

One of my favorite books. I actually have it set out to bring to a nerdy friend.

Interesting how balanced that sentence is, diagrammed. It seems reflective of its owner. (And, before anyone starts beating the politics drum, I suspect that Michael Steele's sentences would display equal balance, which is also pretty on target for his style.)

~Angela, who is a dork on so many levels, her 4 year olds sometimes try to do deny they know her.