Menu

Singapore users - a question....

mommy25

When starting with level 1 with a 1st grader, do you think it progesses too fast with the concepts? Did you struggle with your child not understanding and becoming frustrated and then having to back track to go over previous concepts? I would like to hear your experiences when you first started using the program.

Thanks

My middle child used Singapore 4A-6B and has done wonderfully in math. So...I started the youngest in Singapore in K. We got through the 1A and I realized that he really didn't have the facts straight. So, I jumped to R&S for the drill aspect. This summer, we will go back and do 1B, then use R&S, then 2A/B, etc.

I think my little guy will have a great math education by combining the two programs. (I want the mental math that Singapore teaches, but he needs the drill of R&S.)

I think you need to know that in the math program used in Singapore (on which the US and Standards editions are based), the children don't just use the textbook, workbook, and the other aids. They also have LOTS of drill of the concepts outside of the class/lesson.

So, to answer your question, yes, I've occasionally had to slow way down on a given concept with my ds. However, he also works a page (or 2 ;)) of drill work/math facts each day. This has helped immensely with cementing math facts and concepts. And, of course, we don't move on until I'm fairly certain he understands the current concept. I'm in no hurry. It's more important to me that he truly understands the why, not just the how. And, as Sandy said, RightStart Math also teaches conceptually and is a very good program (at least in the lower levels).

I always recommend that parents read Liping Ma's Knowing and Understanding Elementary Mathematics. This is not a "how to teach math" book, although I certainly gleaned some nuggets, but rather a comparison of teaching philosophies between a group of Chinese math teachers and a group of American math teachers. Eye opening.

I think you need to know that in the math program used in Singapore (on which the US and Standards editions are based), the children don't just use the textbook, workbook, and the other aids. They also have LOTS of drill of the concepts outside of the class/lesson.

So, to answer your question, yes, I've occasionally had to slow way down on a given concept with my ds. However, he also works a page (or 2 ;)) of drill work/math facts each day. This has helped immensely with cementing math facts and concepts. And, of course, we don't move on until I'm fairly certain he understands the current concept. I'm in no hurry. It's more important to me that he truly understands the why, not just the how. And, as Sandy said, RightStart Math also teaches conceptually and is a very good program (at least in the lower levels).

I always recommend that parents read Liping Ma's Knowing and Understanding Elementary Mathematics. This is not a "how to teach math" book, although I certainly gleaned some nuggets, but rather a comparison of teaching philosophies between a group of Chinese math teachers and a group of American math teachers. Eye opening.

I think Sandy was referring to Rod and Staff....I agree with you about Rightstart though - I do have the beginning level and I love the way the concepts are taught. I will continue to use the manipulatives to teach concepts but I need a more organized way (not scripted way) of introducing the concepts to my child. I end up skimming through the RS lessons and then making my own notes as to what to do so that my dd is not sitting there waiting for me to figure out what to do or say next...KWIM? I do much better when someone says "this is what I want you to teach and how to teach it" approach w/o them saying "ask the child this" and then "ask the child that" etc..

As far as the drill...would something like Calculadder work well with Singapore?

When starting with level 1 with a 1st grader, do you think it progesses too fast with the concepts? Did you struggle with your child not understanding and becoming frustrated and then having to back track to go over previous concepts? I would like to hear your experiences when you first started using the program.

Thanks

As a previous poster pointed out...the text and workbook alone [as sold on Singapore Math.com] are not the complete curriculum previously used in Singapore. You can read more about this if you go to their website.

What I do is combine Singapore and Saxon K-3.

I like the clever way Saxon K-3 is done with an overall focus on the number line and teaching patterns to learn the math facts. There is another element that focuses simply on recognizing patterns in every meeting. We do Saxon approximately 3 days per week and Singapore 2 (for my son). He is nearing the end of Saxon 2 and just completed Singapore Level 1. It has not been too much, nor overwhelming. He loves math, though. For him, I don't skip much and especially like to do the pattern recognition section and calendar every day. He also has had no problem keeping up with the Singapore Supplements IP and CWP.

Yes I realize he could be several levels ahead in Singapore right now, but I like this more relaxed pace we go, and Saxon builds a very strong base combined with the excellent presentation of concepts in Singapore.

My daughter has a schedule which is quite different.

I tailor whichever curriculum I use to work with the abilities of the child and tweak as needed.

Good Luck :)

We've avoided this problem by having short, HANDS ON lessons. I use a curriculum guide where all this is planned out for me though, so that makes it easy (it's HOD--see siggy).

Kids this age need the hands on so use snacks, rocks, toy cars, cards, etc. to make it happen. My daughter is not very math minded, and didn't know her facts even after finishing Horizons 2 in first grade (she's still advanced but math is not her "thing") . We went over to Singapore 2 for 2nd and just in the way they present the facts she is picking up on them so quickly! WITHOUT drill or flashcards! I wish I would have stuck with Singapore when we first tried it back in K then she'd probably know her +/- facts just as well as she's learning her mult. facts.

It's all in the hands on for her and the short lessons that don't give her a chance to lose focus...and yes, we still finish one book per semester. I've added in Quarter Mile Math for her to get all her facts down.

If you want an idea of what kind of manipulative activities to try, you can look at samples of the plans from "Little Hearts for His Glory" and "Beyond LIttle Hearts for His Glory" at heartofdakota.com. There's a full week of plans you can view for each one and it will show the math activities.

We worked through Earlybird, 1a/b and 2a/b. Took a break did Rightstart Level B and 1/2 of C then went back and did 2a/b again. Now we have finished up 3a, a public school textbook covering the same concepts and the parts of 3a covered in the Extra Practice book and we are finally able to move forward to 3b.

1a/b moves fast. And if your child does not have those addition, subtraction and multiplication facts down by the time you start 3a--they will truly struggle.

I found that you work through the concepts in the book and use free worksheets, games, supplemental books (CWP, EP, etc) or another math program to back things up.

What has worked best for us is to do a level or a semester of Singapore, do something else that covers the same topic and then move on in Singapore. We've spent almost a year on long division and multiplication using 3 texts. We spent almost as long on addition with regrouping using 2 different curriculums.

Singapore is the best and it works but you will need to supplement (take breaks, use other things, whatever) even if it doesn't seem like you are doing so.

Good luck.

I think Sandy was referring to Rod and Staff....

Oops! Yes, you're right. I guess my brain hadn't quite kicked in all the way when I read her reply. :blushing:

I will continue to use the manipulatives to teach concepts but I need a more organized way (not scripted way) of introducing the concepts to my child. I end up skimming through the RS lessons and then making my own notes as to what to do so that my dd is not sitting there waiting for me to figure out what to do or say next...KWIM? I do much better when someone says "this is what I want you to teach and how to teach it" approach w/o them saying "ask the child this" and then "ask the child that" etc..

Have you looked at/used the HIG's from Singapore? I just ordered the one for my ds's level; so, I haven't had a chance to look it over or use it yet. I understand it's laid out very similar to what you say works well for you. I understand completely about needing to skim the next day's lesson the night before.

As far as the drill...would something like Calculadder work well with Singapore?

I know from reading the boards that many people use Calculadders with their mainline math program. I don't because it doesn't (or didn't the last time I looked them over) vary the problems. IOW, my son, for instance, would be able to memorize the answers to the drill problems on a given page and still not understand a given concept or know a given math fact family. I'm sitting here trying to remember the name of the drill program I use (I'm at work right now) and am drawing a complete blank. :glare: It's a free program on a computer disc (there's also a version one can buy). I simply click on "generate" and different problems are generated based on the parameters I put in. Is that clear as mud?

I know from reading the boards that many people use Calculadders with their mainline math program. I don't because it doesn't (or didn't the last time I looked them over) vary the problems. IOW, my son, for instance, would be able to memorize the answers to the drill problems on a given page and still not understand a given concept or know a given math fact family. I'm sitting here trying to remember the name of the drill program I use (I'm at work right now) and am drawing a complete blank. :glare: It's a free program on a computer disc (there's also a version one can buy). I simply click on "generate" and different problems are generated based on the parameters I put in. Is that clear as mud?

I don't much about the Singapore Instructor's Guides but I will look into them! Thanks!

I started with 1A and then immediately realized we needed to drop back to Singapore Earlybird level B. We did this, cemented the concept of number bonds, and now we are off and running with Singapore 1A. I take each lesson VERY slowly. Right now, we are doing the number bonds for 6-9 and we did one number per day. We made posters together to hang in the classroom, we used manipulatives and linking blocks, etc. - just to introduce the bonds. My plan is to go slowly, pick apart the lessons, use the extra practice and intensive practice, and just take our time. My ds is 5.5 and he has plenty of time to go quickly in math later. If it takes a year to do 1A, then it takes a year to do 1A. :) HTH

I found that sometimes we clip right along, and other times I have to slow down and really let it sink in. During those times I don't spend the whole 30+ minutes grinding over that which hasn't quite sunk in yet: I review, teach money, teach clock-reading, etc. I followed the HIG and if they said a child needed a certain skill before moving on, I at least got them accurate on the skill. Maybe not fast, maybe needing some prompts, but accurate in the end.

Some days we did nothing but basic facts Go Fish.

Thanks

There is a gal who is a teacher in Singapore on the Singapore math yahoo group, who reminds us all occasionally that in Singapore they don't begin level 1A until AFTER a child turns 7. That means we here in the states are using it almost a year ahead of that which it was intended to be used.

My oldest did start 1A in 1st grade and did fine with it till they took away the picture manipulatives. At that point she didn't know how to use real manipulatives, she didn't have any interest in learning how either, and so we just spend time working on easier concepts for a while, started the word problems book, ect... and when we came back to it she could move on. After that experience I hold off till 2nd grade to start my kids in Singapore 1A.

Heather

Children born between 2 January 2002 and 1 January 2003 (both dates inclusive) may be registered for Primary One Classes in 2009. Children born between 2 January 2000 and 1 January 2002 (both dates inclusive), who have not previously been registered for Primary One classes, may also be registered for admission to school in 2009.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/#age-requirement

The school year starts from 2 Jan, so a child born at one extreme would turn 7 the first day of school, whilst a child born at the other extreme would have been six for just one day.

Children born between 2 January 2002 and 1 January 2003 (both dates inclusive) may be registered for Primary One Classes in 2009. Children born between 2 January 2000 and 1 January 2002 (both dates inclusive), who have not previously been registered for Primary One classes, may also be registered for admission to school in 2009.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/#age-requirement

The school year starts from 2 Jan, so a child born at one extreme would turn 7 the first day of school, whilst a child born at the other extreme would have been six for just one day.

I can't find the O/P of the teacher. Too big a topic to search under and I can't remember any key words that might help. I was under the impression that not all students started 1A. In fact the impression I remember is that they first do a lot of hands on and base 10 work without the books first then the EB books and then the Primary, but I could be way off base.

I really don't see a big reason to push. In the US most programs don't start Algebra till 8th grade, and if you do Singapore as grade level then you will start it in 7th.

The best answer is probalby to buy the HIG's and use the manipulatives from day 1, so that when the pictures go away the child still has ways of doing the work, but they weren't out when I started, and the Teacher's Guides I found useless (though I could probalby make the work now-then I just had a lot of learning to do).

But I still stand by the fact that a child can easily start in 2nd, and be just fine.

Heather

Here is what I have found to work in our home. I use Saxon to cement the facts, provide additional work with manipulatives and cover things like time in the early years.

PK - Saxon K

K - Saxon 1A

1 - Saxon 1B, Singapore 1A

2 - Saxon 2, Singapore 1B

3 - Saxon 3, Singapore 2A

4 - Singapore 2B, 3A, 3B

5 - Singapore 4A, 4B

6 - Singapore 5A, 5B

7 - Singapore 6A, 6B

8 - begin Algebra I

There is a gal who is a teacher in Singapore on the Singapore math yahoo group, who reminds us all occasionally that in Singapore they don't begin level 1A until AFTER a child turns 7. That means we here in the states are using it almost a year ahead of that which it was intended to be used.

My oldest did start 1A in 1st grade and did fine with it till they took away the picture manipulatives. At that point she didn't know how to use real manipulatives, she didn't have any interest in learning how either, and so we just spend time working on easier concepts for a while, started the word problems book, ect... and when we came back to it she could move on. After that experience I hold off till 2nd grade to start my kids in Singapore 1A.

Heather

I have always believed in starting as late as possible. My dd has a late b-day (Oct.4 - she will be 7) so 1A sounds like it would be perfect for her! Thanks