Menu

Please tell me this is absurd...Rabies...

I am going to try to make a long story short. I need some reassurance here.

Today I came home to find a full grown raccoon in my front yard. It was staring at me and not moving from that one spot in my yard.

I called a police officer because my dh is at work, my FIL is gone, and my uncle who lives next door was out in the field working.

Police officer came and tried to scare the raccoon away. It would hobble 5-6 steps and then stop and sit down. Obviously, it was not well at all. It never growled or hissed at the officer, but also did not run away and was out in the middle of day in the middle of an open field.

The officer shot and killed it to be on the safe side. After it was dead, I came out of the house and gave him two trash bags because he is taking it off to be tested for Rabies. I was standing there as he bagged the animal and this huge gust of wind came and blew the leaves/dirt up and the bag swung around in his hand (with the raccoon in it).

Now, you all probably know I am a hypochondriac, and rabies is one of my big issues. I was not concerned and felt I had protected myself and the kids well by staying inside and letting the officer take care of things. Then, I was careful not to touch the animal as it lay on the ground. I even went so far as to not touch the shovel in the same place the officer had touched with his hand after touching the tail of the animal (he ended up not using the shovel at all).

Then, I made the mistake of googling. I was actually looking to see if the symptoms could still fit "rabies" since the raccoon was not agressive and actually ran AWAY from the officer. I mean, it was obvious that it was hurt, but not obvious about rabies. There was no foaming, no drool, no aggression.

The issue is that when I was reading at the CDC website, I found that in rare cases, Rabies can be inhaled. Now I am concerned that the gust of wind blew virus particles into the air and perhaps into my nose, eyes, and/or mouth.

I thought this was absurd, but called the CDC anyway and was told that they just weren't sure if I had really been exposed. I proceeded to call other professionals and ask and got the same answer from everyone..."hmmm, I am not sure...let me ask so and so." :(

Now I am a little freaked and am just not sure what to do. They are testing the raccoon, but it will not be back for 4-6 weeks because, as far as they are concerned, no one was bitten/exposed. If I did happen to be exposed, it would show up before the testing came back.

Okay, someone please tell me I am crazy. :001_unsure:

Why don't you ask the people running the rabies test on the racoon to rush the testing since you have this concern. Also, you could run it by your physician. Perhaps there is a test they can do on you prior to symptoms being present. Also, is there something you can take/do to reduce the risk of infection after exposure to rabies?

I would want to know as soon as possible if it were me. I'm not sure I was any help, but I don't think you are being crazy if indeed it is possible to contract rabies through inhaling. I'm sorry. :grouphug:

If it were me, I wouldn't worry. If it were really so easy to get rabies by breathing it in, then we would be putting ourselves at risk every time we ventured outside- no? I would think that IF, and that was a big IF, someone were to contract rabies by breathing it in, then it would have to be in a close, confined air space. kwim? I hope you feel better, really, I wouldn't worry!

I think you really are ok.

But if you are really worried then you could ask your healthcare provider for a rabies vaccine. They do give them to people at high risk of getting rabies (animal control officers etc.) so it isn't only given to someone who has been bitten. I don't know if they would consent to do it in your case though. It is such a long shot.

Maybe this will set your mind at ease.

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

Hematogenous spread does not occur. Under most circumstances, there is no danger of aerosol transmission of rabies. However, aerosol transmission has occurred under very specialized conditions in which the air contains a high concentration of suspended particles or droplets carrying viral particles. Such conditions have been responsible for laboratory transmission under less than ideal containment situations. There has also documented aerosol transmission in 1 bat cave. Oral and nasal secretions containing virus were probably aerosolized from tens of millions of bats. Aerosol infection may occur via direct attachment of the virus to olfactory nerve endings.

I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing? :( (that rarely, it is transmitted through contamination of a mucous membrane). :( The uncertainity here is what really bothers me. They have the raccoon now and I have no way of even knowing where it is or who has it.

I suppose if you think you got the racoon's blood or saliva in a wound or in your mucous membranes (your eyes, your nose, etc.) you should talk with your doctor.

Your original post made it sound as if the officer touched the animal's tail, he then touched the handle of the shovel, which you were careful not to touch.

How is it that you think raccoon saliva and your mucous membranes had any contact given that scenario?

LOL - this is the absurdity. I read somewhere that rabies could become airborne. I called the CDC and they confirmed. So...my OCD mind drew the conclusion that OBVIOUSLY the raccoon leaked a bit of rabbid saliva on the ground and the wind kicked up and the virus became airborne long enough to go into my nostrils and eyes.

Then, my POOR husband was kind enough to come home, listen to me cry, and then get online and find out that a total of 4 people in HISTORY have contracted rabies from an airborne method. 2 lab workers who had the virus in aerosol form and did not protect themselves properly...and two men who went into a bat cave in the 60's with millions of bats. Other methods of transmission were not 100% ruled out in any of the cases. That is it. I feel SO STUPID. The CDC didn't know the research...they just said "in lab situations and places of high concentration" which to me could have meant saliva on the ground stirred up by the wind. Oh, I hate how my brain works. :(

Thank you all for your responses.

LOL - this is the absurdity. I read somewhere that rabies could become airborne. I called the CDC and they confirmed. So...my OCD mind drew the conclusion that OBVIOUSLY the raccoon leaked a bit of rabbid saliva on the ground and the wind kicked up and the virus became airborne long enough to go into my nostrils and eyes.

Then, my POOR husband was kind enough to come home, listen to me cry, and then get online and find out that a total of 4 people in HISTORY have contracted rabies from an airborne method. 2 lab workers who had the virus in aerosol form and did not protect themselves properly...and two men who went into a bat cave in the 60's with millions of bats. Other methods of transmission were not 100% ruled out in any of the cases. That is it. I feel SO STUPID. The CDC didn't know the research...they just said "in lab situations and places of high concentration" which to me could have meant saliva on the ground stirred up by the wind. Oh, I hate how my brain works. :(

Thank you all for your responses.

:grouphug:

Oh, Rebecca, I'm sorry you're feeling badly over this. I hope my post didn't contribute to that (as I re-read it, I sounded pretty snarky--I didn't mean it that way!).

I hope your husband was able to find more information and offer you peace of mind.

Oh no, your post didn't sound snarky to me at all. I am used to dealing with this OCD and while it is crippling at times, it is definitely is something I am learning to get control over. I see a therapist and take medication for this condition. Sometimes, I just need people to remind me I am crazy and that my thinking doesn't make sense.

In the 1990's there were a couple of rabies deaths in children in whom the bat was found flying in their room, killed and buried. Exhumed bat, after child was fatally ill, showed rabies. No bites found.

I personally would be paranoid (and I'm not a panicker) and offer to pay for an inspection of the brain. After the bat thing (which happened in counties next to mine) I ended up with a dead bat in my house that no one found for some time (the dog found it....she took to sitting in front of the woodstove, without a fire, and staring at it. Since she was such a smart dog, and I've never seen her do that, I looked, and indeed under it was a dead bat). I happened to be in a house with 3 other people all of whom had just had vaccines for rabies prior to a trip to India. I wrote my family an unsent farewell letter and waited. I'm still here, years later, but I was prepared to die. I was childless and had led a full and happy life.

However, if I had a child or a child was involved, I wouldn't just write a letter and wait.

I wrote my family an unsent farewell letter and waited. I'm still here, years later, but I was prepared to die. I was childless and had led a full and happy life.

Okay...EEK! I could NEVER do that! And my gosh...you can't be very old and you had led a "happy and full life." I consider "full" to be like when I am pushin' 100!

They are doing the test on the animal's brain. It did not bite me or scratch me and I did not even touch it. All that happened was the wind blew while I was standing near where it died. There was no excessive drool or saliva, etc. Even if the animal did test positive for Rabies, I am still not sure I have anything to worry about seeing as how we were out in the open, there was no real saliva present, and if there was, could the wind suddenly cause it to be an aerosol that was concentrated enough to blow directly into my eyes and up my nose? I am thinking SURELY not. SURELY?! If there is a chance, it is about 1 in a trillion. Otherwise, there would be a lot of old farmers dying of rabies infections. I can't even imagine how many farmers have killed coons that were attacking their cattle or getting in their corn and then just picked the body up with their hands and tossed the coon off to the side of the farm. I mean, if Rabies was that quick to become airborne, we would be dealing with something REALLY scary, right?

Edited by Tree House Academy