Menu

Stupid tax question--about medical expenses...

Mea culpa...:o

We had some medical expenses this year that were out of ordinary for us--two kids with tonsils/adenoids removed, etc.

I didn't keep track of how much I spent on those things. If I contacted the doctor's offices and the surgery center, would they be able to easily tell me how much I've paid them over the last year (leaving out the part the insurance paid?).

If so, would they think I was a pita for asking?

Call your ins. co. and ask for all of your Explanations of Benefits. Each one will have how much you owed on each claim.

Well, I have a very thick file folder of those...I was trying to avoid having to go through them all. I'd have to add it all up, and check to make sure that I didn't mess up the math with some of the ones that had to be resubmitted, etc. I'm just bein' lazy. :bored:

Well, I have a very thick file folder of those...I was trying to avoid having to go through them all. I'd have to add it all up, and check to make sure that I didn't mess up the math with some of the ones that had to be resubmitted, etc. I'm just bein' lazy.

That's what I had to do. It wasn't really that horrible, but there were definitely things I would have rather done. Don't forget premiums, prescription and dental.

The pharmacy can run you a report you can come pick up and it can have a total for each family member. The doctors office may have a similar report, and if they do, I wouldn't hesitate to ask. But if someone has to manually go through your claims, and total them....you should do it your self.

Suck it up, sit down and total it. Once you learn where to look on the EOB, it will only take you a few minutes to do it. The first couple will be the hardest, then it will only take a few minutes.

Be strong, you can do it!

Your doctor's office should be able to do this. I always pay anything medical with a check (old fashioned, I know). I do this so I have a second reciept.

Track your mileage to every appointment. If you use Turbotax the program has the conversion for mileage to medical appointments.

You can get all your prescription copays from the pharmacy. I haven't done it yet, but I need to go by Safeway and Harris Teeter to request this.

Glasses, contacts count.

Dental and orthodontial.

Besides your "out of the ordinary expense", your regular expenses could add real fast.

We pay most everything with our FSA, so we don't do much of this. What we used to do is pay everything with our debit card, and then sort by payee on our bank's website at the end of each year.

You could also go through and highlight each EOB total that you paid, and then you would just have to run through the highlighted spots twice to make sure you got everything.

Good luck!

Once you learn where to look on the EOB, it will only take you a few minutes to do it. The first couple will be the hardest, then it will only take a few minutes.

I have at least an inch-thick file of EOB's, with a certain amount of them being submitted more than once, some of them paid more than once and then refunded, etc. It's gonna take me more than "a few minutes"! :glare:

But yeah, I'll probably have to set aside some time to do it. I just wondered if there was an easier way...

Thanks for the encouragement though! :001_smile:

Mea culpa...:o

We had some medical expenses this year that were out of ordinary for us--two kids with tonsils/adenoids removed, etc.

I didn't keep track of how much I spent on those things. If I contacted the doctor's offices and the surgery center, would they be able to easily tell me how much I've paid them over the last year (leaving out the part the insurance paid?).

If so, would they think I was a pita for asking?

Your medical expenses have to be more than 7.5% of your income to be deductible as a line item. Sigh! For us, close but no cigar.