Menu

Has anyone notice a difference in their children's behavior by decluttering?

Many yrs ago, when I had only 3 kiddos, and what I felt were a ton of toys, we weeded through the toys because we were getting ready to move.

They didn't need three different playhouses, 5 dozen matchboxes, etc and so on.

They played MORE with their toys after that. I think they just couldn't decided.

It's been 15 years and 3 more kiddos. I have way too much decluttering to do...

YES!!

But I REALLY noticed the behavior difference more in dh. :D

Every time I declutter the kids rooms I find the kids enjoy and spend more time in their bedrooms. The same goes for books. Whenever I declutter the bookshelves the kids tend to pick more books off the shelves and read more. (I have learned to 'front' books I hope they will grab and read)

Dh is slighty OCD and the less stuff the less stressed he seems to be. Only problem is...HE'S the packrat! :glare:

Absolutely. Especially for one ds who seems to be having more behavior problems these days. His room gets out of control and so does he. He doesn't want it cleaned up and doesn't know where to begin himself. He insists he likes it that way. But then when I do it, he appreciates it so much and his thinking and behavior are more orderly too. (Okay, there is a bit of wishful thinking here, having just cleaned up his room this evening....I'm hoping tomorrow he'll be right on track.)

Yes. When they were younger, they'd play more creatively when I "impoverished" their environment.

Now, after decluttering, everything runs more smoothly. Attitudes are improved, Mom feels/does better which always = better behaved kids.

Home becomes a sanctuary again, which is always a help.

Yes Yes and Yes! When my yahoos were under four years old. I would take 75% of their toys and put them away. Every two weeks I would rotate their toys. They loved it! It was like new toys every time. They were so happy and I found that they really played well with the toys they had access to. Now if only I could figure out a way to get away with it now at 8 years old...

Hummmmmm

samba in sac

he had to have things neat and organized, the same way that he had to have a very set routine, or he was a basket case. Very stressed out. Since I am similar, it was never an issue for me - I can't think or concentrate at all with a mess around. It definitely made a big difference for him - of course he had other issues like clothing seams and tags, food texture issues, too much external input (crowds and noise). At 14, I can't tell how much he has outgrown, and how much our family has just changed our lifestyle to suit him (like never considering buying socks with seams). I worry about him going off to college with the noise and sleep deprivation, or even about him taking the PSATs next fall (if, for instance, a kid sitting nearby has a hacking cough). But he can compete at fencing tournaments (very noisy places) and if you looked into his room, you wouldn't think the neatness thing is too serious an issue anymore.

The first thing I do when I'm at a playgroup is organize the scattered toys into several groups around the room. The kids gravitate right toward a particular toy group, with one or two friends and real playtime comes out of it. I redo as necessary.

When kids see a big pile of toys - or a large amount of toys to choose from - they do get overwhelmed. Many times, dumping out the large bin of toys becomes the play. I don't have all of our toys out, I rotate them. One plastic box of toys is plenty for a week or two.