Menu

Hello~ (shuffles feet) I'm new here!

Damselfly

Hello! I'm new to the boards and am FILLED with questions, concerns, ideas and anxiety about embarking on my homeschooling journey this coming fall. Well, I should say "officially" starting this fall when my oldest of two sons begins Kindergarten :D. I have read everything there is to read on every HS'ing philosophy, and was immediately drawn to the gentle, beautiful writings of Charlotte Mason. Having said that, I also know that I am the type of person that needs a lot of hand-holding and guidance, and The Well Trained Mind has become my 'bible' of sorts for how I'd like to 'structure' my time. So, I guess you could say I'll be using TWTM as my guide for creating our day-to-day plans, but nurturing the "environment" of my homeschool with CM philosophies. Does that even make sense :confused: ??

Gotta go get my little guy up from his nap. I hope to get to know you all and that you won't tire of me coming to you for advice!! It can all seem so overwhelming.

Hello! I'm new to the boards and am FILLED with questions, concerns, ideas and anxiety about embarking on my homeschooling journey this coming fall. Well, I should say "officially" starting this fall when my oldest of two sons begins Kindergarten :D. I have read everything there is to read on every HS'ing philosophy, and was immediately drawn to the gentle, beautiful writings of Charlotte Mason. Having said that, I also know that I am the type of person that needs a lot of hand-holding and guidance, and The Well Trained Mind has become my 'bible' of sorts for how I'd like to 'structure' my time. So, I guess you could say I'll be using TWTM as my guide for creating our day-to-day plans, but nurturing the "environment" of my homeschool with CM philosophies. Does that even make sense :confused: ??

Welcome. Have you read The Latin Centered Curriculum? You'll find an entire scope and sequence for each grade (lots of hand holding) with a great deal of CM philosophy. There's a revised edition coming out in the spring, but perhaps you can get a copy from a library to browse now. YOu may also want to look at www.amblesideonline.org or www.simplycharlottemason.org. These are free online curricula that follow CM. Ambleside is a little intimidating at first glance, but really well put together if you give it a try. There's also an ambleside scheduling yahoo group that may help.

My encouragement is to embrace that CM philosophy and don't feel like you have to do everything in the WTM. No one does.

You've come to the right place as there is a wealth of wisdom to be found on this board. This is our first official year, but I have been reading WTM posts for several years gleaning information.

We, too, will be combining Charlotte Mason and Classical with some Montessori and other things thrown in the mix. I look forward to seeing you around and sharing in your adventures. :)

Welcome! And you've already made the most important discovery in the homeschooling journey that will make homeschooling much less stressful (I hope)... there is no "magic" curriculum/ philosophy/ schedule that works for everyone.

Enjoy the journey. Looking forward to "seeing" you around.

Welcome! Here is another site that might give you some ideas for how well the classical and CM philosophies meld.

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/

We follow LCC but with a lot of the CM concepts such as nature studies, composer study, picture study, poet study etc. (and a little bit of Waldorf art thrown into the mix :)

Anne Marie