Menu

Ok Mac fans... which would you purchase?

I was really steering towards a desktop, but the following laptop options have been placed before me... so I need some help deciding. Which laptop would you pick... or would you wait to see your desktop options?

Option 1: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - refurbished - it's on sale this evening for $949.

This will get you a larger screen and faster performance than a new macbook typically at about 1/2 the cost of the current generation macbook pro's - these are refurbed units ( so- used) - but from a reputable source with warranty.

Option 2: Macbook 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Black - refurbished - on sale for $629

It doesnt have much ram or hard drive, but we can get a massive hard drive for it for about $120 locally - :-) same with ram.

Option 3: 13.3 MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2GB 120GB Super Drive - White polycarbonate shell - $944

Macbook new - low end - for basic computing around the house- Ie- pictures, internet--- The entry level new macbooks are nice- however, they aren't much faster or better than the refurb I mentioned above, and cost several hundred dollars more - this is a good buy if you only like to buy new and want to spend the least amount you can for a new item - this one also currently has a $50 mail in rebate.

Option 4: 15.4 MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB 200GB SuperDrive - GLOSSY - new discontinued model - $1,449.99

Apple recently changed the look and chassis of their laptops - This has caused a fairly large price drop and a lot of rebates on the discontinued models. Heres the best one going currently- this will be a good way to go if you want a new higher end laptop but want it at the best price.

:bigear:

Edited by NCAmusings

Option 3: 13.3 MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2GB 120GB Super Drive - White polycarbonate shell - $944

Macbook new - low end - for basic computing around the house- Ie- pictures, internet--- The entry level new macbooks are nice- however, they aren't much faster or better than the refurb I mentioned above, and cost several hundred dollars more - this is a good buy if you only like to buy new and want to spend the least amount you can for a new item - this one also currently has a $50 mail in rebate.

While the processor isn't faster, this unit was updated with the new graphics cards. The next version of OSX expected out this summer is going to use the GPU more than anything else in the past has. In order to future proof my purchase, this is what i'd be buying personally. And it has Firewire! LOL!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/21/apple-quietly-updates-entry-level-white-macbook/

Engadget reports that Apple has quietly updated the entry-level white MacBook, adopting several of the components used in the base aluminum unibody MacBook model. Engadget speculates that the upgrade serves to prepare the last member of Apple's notebook line for the addition of OpenCL in their upcoming OS X Snow Leopard. Updated specs include:

- Processor moved to 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo with 1066 MHz frontside bus from 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo with 866 MHz bus

- Standard RAM increased to 2 GB (two 1 GB sticks) from 1 GB (two 512 MB sticks)

- Graphics switched to NVIDIA 9400M with 256 MB of shared memory from Intel GMA X3100 with 144 MB of shared memory

- Bluetooth version updated to 2.1 from 2.0.

- 320 GB, 5400-rpm hard drive option added

These changes bring the white MacBook much closer in specs to the low-end aluminum MacBook. With the processor and graphics now matching, the $300 premium for the aluminum model primarily offers the new look, faster RAM, a slightly larger standard hard drive, Mini DisplayPort, and no FireWire port.

Pricing remains at $999, with orders currently listed as shipping in 4-6 business days from the US online store. While Apple's Canadian online store is offering the new model, Apple's other international sites and stores have not yet been updated.

i'd go with #3; #2 if money was tight.

unless you are using graphic intensive programs or heavy video editing, a MacBook Pro is overkill. wonderful overkill but overkill nonetheless for the typical home user. if you want a larger screen than the 13.3 of the MacBook, lcd monitors are dirt cheap these days and can be hooked to any laptop.

btw, last time i was in the Apple store, i thought the black ones looked fingerprint gross. my white iBook has never gotten that groody looking!

DH surprised me big time for my B-Day and took me to the Apple store. They are great and after speaking with the guy I ended up getting the one TracyS/Fl linked to. The gave me a $50 educational discount plus a discount on the AppleCare. I also got a wireless printer which will be $30 after rebate and i-Work that was $50 instead of $80.

The desktops look great. The screens are huge and easy to read. If I was in the market for one I would have went with that but our desktop PC still works and there is no where else to keep one.

This is my 1st post with my new Macbook, I still cannot believe I have my very own laptop.

I guess I didn't help you pick a number but I just wanted to let you know that with the educational discount the new white Macbook is the same price.

#4... I want a Pro sooooooooooooo badddddddddddddddd.

Otherwise I would go with #2 and get the extra goodies locally. The white Macbks get dirty looking very easily (if that matters to you).

Yes, but a Magic Eraser does wonders. :) (I should clarify that; I mean on the keyboard and mouse; not on the outside.)

I would purchase #4 if I could possibly do it. We have been a Mac household for over 20 years. Our policy is to buy as much Mac as you can afford at the time. It's sort of a "buy quality and hold" philosophy. Computers go out of date so quickly, that we try to buy relatively high up on the food chain so the computer can last a while.

My computer is a MacBookPro 15-inch screen. My husband has a MacBookPro 17-inch screen. While I like his larger screen, his computer is MUCH heavier and I am glad I don't have to lug it around! We also have a MacMini desktop and an eMac.

I would purchase #4 if I could possibly do it. We have been a Mac household for over 20 years. Our policy is to buy as much Mac as you can afford at the time. It's sort of a "buy quality and hold" philosophy. Computers go out of date so quickly, that we try to buy relatively high up on the food chain so the computer can last a while.

My computer is a MacBookPro 15-inch screen. My husband has a MacBookPro 17-inch screen. While I like his larger screen, his computer is MUCH heavier and I am glad I don't have to lug it around! We also have a MacMini desktop and an eMac.

BUT, in the graphics area, the new gpu chips area actually better than the older ones. I"d go hunting geek bench type numbers and read up.... :tongue_smilie:

All that said - i really do NOT like the glossy screens at all. I have some depth perception problems and really can't use the glossy for any length of time. Alas, only the 17" has the option for a matte screen (which is what i have on my 17" mbp from 2 years ago).

[quote name=

All that said - i really do NOT like the glossy screens at all. I have some depth perception problems and really can't use the glossy for any length of time. Alas' date=' only the 17" has the option for a matte screen (which is what i have on my 17" mbp from 2 years ago).[/quote]

This is what made me decide to go for a refurbed 20" white Imac. The new aluminum ones have the glossy screen. We bought it on Ebay and it should be here later this week. My daughter has a 13" black Intel CoreDuo MacBook with the glossy screen and I can not handle looking at it for very long.

I'm currently using an aged G4 with a big ole Dell CRT that has a glossy screen. The glare is really bad on sunny days and I end up avoiding using it sometimes to keep from getting a migraine.

OK, I am WAY out of date. I didn't know that the GLOSSY in #4 referred to a glossy screen; I thought it referred to the case design. Sounds yucky to me.

And I don't know anything about the GPU chips. So I guess count me out on recommending choices.

Sorry about that. I guess I'll have to do some serious reading when it comes time to replace any of our equipment.

This is what made me decide to go for a refurbed 20" white Imac. The new aluminum ones have the glossy screen. We bought it on Ebay and it should be here later this week. My daughter has a 13" black Intel CoreDuo MacBook with the glossy screen and I can not handle looking at it for very long.

I'm currently using an aged G4 with a big ole Dell CRT that has a glossy screen. The glare is really bad on sunny days and I end up avoiding using it sometimes to keep from getting a migraine.

The new laptops have been rumored to not be as glossy as the old ones. I haven't had time to go check it out. Buti sit right next to a window with afternoon sun - glossy is kinda hard. Enjoy the new computer!!!

OK, I am WAY out of date. I didn't know that the GLOSSY in #4 referred to a glossy screen; I thought it referred to the case design. Sounds yucky to me.

SOme people it doesn't bother.... but think, a shiny piece of glass on the screen.

And I don't know anything about the GPU chips. So I guess count me out on recommending choices.

Sorry about that. I guess I'll have to do some serious reading when it comes time to replace any of our equipment.

UNless you run something like Aperture - it hasn't been a big deal until now. Aperture was one of the only applications that used the GPU to speed things up. More recently Adobe did some of the same to photoshop. Its going to be one of those things that you will be hearing more and more about it.

But because up till now and the coming of Snow Leopard it hasn't been something most people have to think about - i just like to make sure people "know" you know? And, i'm sure that when you are ready - there will be even MORE to ponder in that area! :tongue_smilie:

I got interrupted earlier....

We have about the same machines! LOL!!

17" MBP for me (i don't go anywhere), Mini, eMac - but our other laptop is my old iBook!

I'm hoping to keep the Mini in the divorce settlement, i'm worried the eMac will up and die on me soon. Does your fan run the whole time the computer is on? Because i swear it didn't used to be that loud.....

Thank you everyone for your responses. Although tempting, I decided against a laptop because (being a sensitive redhead) I am very sensitive to EMFs... especially from our laptop and/or whatever else emits from it (another story). We had to get rid of our Apple Airport due to my sensitivity... nothing wireless/cordless anymore. That said, these were my desktop options...

Option 1: iMac Desktop 24" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Pre-Owned) $1049.00

This is a 24 inch imac - huge! We would probably want to get a 1 year extended warranty on it - but even with that, maxing out the hard drive and ram once it gets here, it will be hundreds of dollars less than a new unit.

Option 2: iMac Desktop 20" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Pre-Owned) $699.00

This is the same thing, but in 20 inch - and a LOT cheaper than new.

Can you guess which one makes the cut? LOL! Does anyone here own option 2... if so, what do you think of your IMac?

Edited by CMama

This is a 24 inch imac - huge! We would probably want to get a 1 year extended warranty on it - but even with that, maxing out the hard drive and ram once it gets here, it will be hundreds of dollars less than a new unit.

Can you guess which one makes the cut? LOL! Does anyone here own option 2... if so, what do you think of your IMac?

Well, mine won't be here till Friday, so I can't really tell you now how I like it. :tongue_smilie: Mine is a 20" like your second choice, but I think it's a 2.4 GHz. $699.00 is a SUPER price! I paid $770 for mine, which was very reasonable for the higher processor speed...according to my Dh, anyway.

I decided on the 20" over the 24" mainly because of price and because I just couldn't see myself really needing the extra screen real estate. Dh works with computers all day long, doing graphic design stuff, and he likes the huge screen but said he wouldn't need it at home.

He uses it at work to have two programs or two files opened up side by side. I would never work that way, I have to have the program I'm using fill most of the screen so I don't get visually distracted by the icons on the desktop. It's easy enough to apple-tab between programs whenever you want to.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I know about iMacs at this point. :) By next week I may know a lot more!

Thank you everyone for your responses. Although tempting, I decided against a laptop because (being a sensitive redhead) I am very sensitive to EMFs... especially from our laptop and/or whatever else emits from it (another story). We had to get rid of our Apple Airport due to my sensitivity... nothing wireless/cordless anymore. That said, these were my desktop options...

If you can stretch for it, the 24 inch iMac is delight to use. We got one for my father and I'm envious (using a G5).

These are sweet!

Bill