Menu

Super Bowl Party Food

Alrighty...so the house is almost clean and we have completely re-arranged almost every room in it. Now it's time to get cookin'! My hubby stressed the wonderful, homemade snacks I would be providing for this shindig on the invite, so I need to live up to it!:001_huh: What are the "categories" of things I need to have? I am clueless, and so far I am thinking:

3-4 Dessert/Sweet Items (I have to remind mysef that not all should be chocolate)

3-4 Chip/Cracker/Dip/Spread Items

Football shaped PB&J's for the Kiddos

Thinking of making chicken and corn chili

Thinking of making BBQ chicken sandwiches

(I only eat chicken, but I know guys coming are big carnivores?:001_huh:):001_huh:

Thinking of making dollar roll sandwiches?

PLEASE tell me what to add!!!!!!

Melissa in St Louis

Main Dishes (hubby will choose 2):

Chicken and Corn Chili

Wings

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Nacho Bar (cheese, meat, all the fixin’s)

Side Dishes/Munchies:

Pizza Fondue Dip (Breads and Veggies to Dip)

Cheese Ball shaped like a football/crackers

Chex Mix for the kiddos (has been requested)

Chips/Dip

Assorted Nuts

Desserts:

Peanut Butter Pom Poms in Team Colors (Peanut Butter Haystacks)

Football Brownies

Cookies

Perhaps a fruit, maybe not

Ha! I think it counts as a fruit! :) I have lived in St Louis for like 8 yeairs now and I still have not had a gooey butter cake! :001_huh:

Thanks also for the info about the Mid Rivers Magazine, we hadn't seen it yet! :D

Melissa (who lives nearby) in St Louis

No Gooey Butter Cake??? You have not LIVED! I think it's against the law to have been in this area for that long and not have eaten it.

Chelle

White Trash

2 cups unsalted peanuts

2 cups large pecan pieces

1 box (13 oz.) Golden Grahams cereal

24 oz. white almond bark

Combine peanuts, pecans, and cereal in a VERY large bowl. Melt almond bark coating according to package directions and pour over nut/cereal mixture. Mix thoroughly and spread onto two, wax paper-lined, rimmed cookie sheets. Let cool and break into pieces. Store in covered tins.

Variation = Uppity White Trash

substitute 2 cups of salted cashews for the peanuts and 12 oz. of white chocolate for half of the white almond bark.

Just the name "White Trash" is a hoot! AND it is really good, too!

Gooey Butter Cake

1 box (18.25 oz) golden butter recipe cake mix (Duncan Hines)

4 eggs, divided use

1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar

1 stick butter, melted

8 ounces REGULAR cream cheese, softened to room temperature

1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cake mix, melted butter, and two eggs which have been slightly beaten, and press into a greased 9 x 13 pa. Mix well the cream cheese, the other two eggs, the powdered sugar, and the vanilla. Pour over the first mixture and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Watch closely. Let cool on a rack and cut into squares.

[

Desserts:

Football Brownies

Cookies

I'm making Gooey Butter Cake. Does that count as a fruit? ;)

I heart gooey butter cake. My husband, who doesn't eat sweets very often, will eat gooey butter cake for breakfast!

reciiiiiiipeeeeee! Please!

Cynthia beat me! It's almost the same as hers. I got the recipe from a friend who made it for me once. My first-ever attempt at it is in the oven right now. My friend uses whatever yellow cake mix is cheapest. I used light cream cheese. I noticed Cynthia's said to use regular, but mine doesn't say. I don't know if that will make a difference. I hope not!

Mix together w/spoon:

1 box yellow cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

1 egg

Press into ungreased 9X13 pan.

Beat w/mixer:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

2 eggs

16 oz. powdered sugar

1 t vanilla

Pour over cake mixture and bake at 350 for 35 min. Enjoy!

Chelle

I heart gooey butter cake. My husband, who doesn't eat sweets very often, will eat gooey butter cake for breakfast!

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks...mmmmm...I hope my cake lasts until 5 P.M. tomorrow!

Chelle

Why are my quotes messing up today????? I was trying to respond to Laura (TN Mama).

[

Desserts:

Football Brownies

Cookies

Can I ask quickly what "haystacks" are when it comes to food - I know what the other haystacks look like.

I've heard someone mention it and she made it sound like it was the most delicious thing in the world.:001_huh:

Cynthia beat me! It's almost the same as hers. I got the recipe from a friend who made it for me once. My first-ever attempt at it is in the oven right now. My friend uses whatever yellow cake mix is cheapest. I used light cream cheese. I noticed Cynthia's said to use regular, but mine doesn't say. I don't know if that will make a difference. I hope not!

Mix together w/spoon:

1 box yellow cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

1 egg

Press into ungreased 9X13 pan.

Beat w/mixer:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

2 eggs

16 oz. powdered sugar

1 t vanilla

Pour over cake mixture and bake at 350 for 35 min. Enjoy!

Chelle

:D I just always use regular cream cheese b/c, given the other ingredients, using light cream cheese isn't going to help that much in the calorie department. I usually use whatever cream cheese is on hand. AND, I used to only use one egg in the "cake" part, but I found another recipe that used two and it is a lot easier to spread in the pan, IMO.

I am wanting a gooey butter cake right now!

:D I just always use regular cream cheese b/c, given the other ingredients, using light cream cheese isn't going to help that much in the calorie department. I usually use whatever cream cheese is on hand. AND, I used to only use one egg in the "cake" part, but I found another recipe that used two and it is a lot easier to spread in the pan, IMO.

Me too... off to check the pantry for a yellow cake mix...

I'm going to have to try that Gooey Butter Cake recipe now. But not today! You guys have seriously gotten me beat in the food category, but then again, we're only having 3-5 people over. I'm doing Lil' Smokies, spinach dip, mini-meatloaves, mashed potatoes and gravy, cake, brownies, and stuffed jalapenos. I think. Unless I get the urge between now and then to add something else. I hope it's a good game - I'm excited!

Can I ask quickly what "haystacks" are when it comes to food - I know what the other haystacks look like.

I've heard someone mention it and she made it sound like it was the most delicious thing in the world.:001_huh:

My quoting skills were messed up last night (I need some help from Kris, who taught me how to go to "first unread post")

...the haystacks were originally mentioned by Melissa in St. Louis. My husband makes haystacks by melting butterscotch chips and mixing in dry chow mein noodles and dry roasted peanuts. He doesn't measure anything, sorry, and I stay far away because I think they're gross!

Chelle

O.k. SEE??? I'm still messed up on quoting! Forgive me!

Edited by Chelle in MO
?

Yeah, you'd better say you're sorry!! Ha! You were actually very prompt, no apology necessary! Now about the regular cream cheese...I'm SURE using "light" cuts down on the calories by 75%, at least!

I used a flat-bottomed glass to spread the bottom layer. It is a little challenging.

Come on over, I just cut my cake!

Chelle

ETA: Hey, look! My quoting worked!

I'm going to have to try that Gooey Butter Cake recipe now. But not today! You guys have seriously gotten me beat in the food category, but then again, we're only having 3-5 people over. I'm doing Lil' Smokies, spinach dip, mini-meatloaves, mashed potatoes and gravy, cake, brownies, and stuffed jalapenos. I think. Unless I get the urge between now and then to add something else. I hope it's a good game - I'm excited!

Now, Sarah, your food is just fine! There are no losers in the kitchen, only on the field!

Have fun!

Chelle

We are having roughly 30 people both Guatemalan (who don't understand American Football, so that should be interesting) and American with 2 Canadian and 1 British person all here and we are barbequeing. So here's what's on the menu:

hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings

potato salad

coleslaw

fruit salad

chips and a variety of dips

nacho cheese dip with Ritz crackers

guacamole, salsa, and chips

and a few other things others are bringing and I don't know what they all are!

It should be fun. My cheesy dip is easy:

2 blocks of cream cheese, softened

mix in about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup shredded cheddar, green onions to taste, and taco seasoning to taste.

Layer in a bowl wrapped in plastic wrap like this: cream cheese mix, chopped black olives, more cream cheese mix, chopped tomatoes, the rest of the cream cheese mix

Put into the fridge for about 1 hour and turn onto a plate when you are ready to serve it and remove the plastic wrap.

Me too... off to check the pantry for a yellow cake mix...

No yellow cake in my pantry, so off to the store we went. Gooey Butter Cake is now in the oven! My butt (and those of my neighbors) thanks you!

FTR, we must all have the same recipe as mine also calls for Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. I am originally from Missouri.

No yellow cake in my pantry, so off to the store we went. Gooey Butter Cake is now in the oven! My butt (and those of my neighbors) thanks you!

FTR, we must all have the same recipe as mine also calls for Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. I am originally from Missouri.

I'm sure it will be delicious! The older lady I got my recipe from said she uses the cheapest mix the store carries! Mine was 97 cents at Target. I'm not sure of the history, but I've always heard of it as a St. Louis recipe, much like toasted ravioli and frozen custard.

Where in Missouri are you from (if you don't mind saying)?

Chelle

I'm sure it will be delicious! The older lady I got my recipe from said she uses the cheapest mix the store carries! Mine was 97 cents at Target. I'm not sure of the history, but I've always heard of it as a St. Louis recipe, much like toasted ravioli and frozen custard.

Where in Missouri are you from (if you don't mind saying)?

Chelle

I'm from parts where it's pronounced Missour-ah. :) Southeast MO - not far from Cape Girardeau (or just Cape if you're from them there parts). I haven't lived there in quite some time, but most of my family still lives there, so we are there often.

My husband is currently teaching at Ft. Leonard Wood so we're getting ready to head that way for a visit.

I'm from parts where it's pronounced Missour-ah. :) Southeast MO - not far from Cape Girardeau (or just Cape if you're from them there parts). I haven't lived there in quite some time, but most of my family still lives there, so we are there often.

My husband is currently teaching at Ft. Leonard Wood so we're getting ready to head that way for a visit.

That's so funny! My mom has always pronounced it Missour-ah, so I'm not sure why I grew up pronouncing it Missour-ee. My sister went to college in Cape and my dad used to live in Jackson, MO!

Have a good time on your trip to MO, and stop by for lunch if you detour up this way!

Chelle

but the real question is if you pronounce it "highway farty-far"!! :D

Melissa in St Louis (right off 44!)

O.k., you are too funny! I do NOT pronounce it that way, but love to listen to people who talk like that. We tease my stepmom about her St. Louis accent. Where does that come from, anyway? It's specific to just one part of the metro area.

How was the party? I'm sure everone had a blast, right up until the very end of the game anyway!

Chelle