Menu

Favorite latin program for 3rd grade

dcjlkplus3

Lively Latin.

It's fun. We're all learning Latin. It has adequate practice. (I don't have any prior Latin.) Minimal prep time for me-I have the downloaded version so my only prep is printing the next lesson. We also like that it's secular, and includes some history, and also includes online vocabulary games and audio.

Well, I have no experience with any other Latin programs, so there's nothing to compare it to, but we're using Getting Started with Latin this year and we're really enjoying it. My daughter has learned SO much! It's easy to use and very inexpensive too. Bonus, it works really well with FLL3 as far as grammar is concerned.

We have had GREAT sucess with Memoria Press (first Prima Latina & then Latina Christiana books 1 & 2). I would highly recommend using the DVDs. A 3rd grader could start w/ Latina Christiana book 1.

Oh, we also use Ludere Latin as supplement for Latiana Christiana- it has games for each lesson. This helped cement the lessons in the kiddo's heads.

We have had GREAT sucess with Memoria Press (first Prima Latina & then Latina Christiana books 1 & 2). I would highly recommend using the DVDs. A 3rd grader could start w/ Latina Christiana book 1.

Oh, we also use Ludere Latin as supplement for Latiana Christiana- it has games for each lesson. This helped cement the lessons in the kiddo's heads.

We have 0 latin knowledge at our house - do you really think we would be okay to start with Latina Christiana?

I tend to lean towards this one because it was recommended in TWTM, but I don't know anyone who is actually using it.

How often do you use it?

Can you tell me what your lessons look like?

Well, I have no experience with any other Latin programs, so there's nothing to compare it to, but we're using Getting Started with Latin this year and we're really enjoying it. My daughter has learned SO much! It's easy to use and very inexpensive too. Bonus, it works really well with FLL3 as far as grammar is concerned.

I have never heard of this.

How often do you do it - daily, 2x a week, 3x a week, etc.?

Can you tell me what your lessons look like?

There are a lot of sample pages you can view at this link:

http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/preview01.php

Amazon.com sells it so you can also look at other people's reviews (there are many...I think it is a solid 5 star)

We do it every day. It takes my daughter about 15 minutes I'd say. You basically learn one word a day and then translate ten sentences. There are lessons sprinkled throughout that teach well known Latin terms and what they mean. There are also grammar lessons woven throughout. It's very bare bones; no colors, games etc. He does have downloadable pronunciation guides at his website. We play a game almost every week to keep it fun (go fish, flash cards, concentration, etc.)

I think Latina Christiana is perfect for working into Henle. Get it with the DVDs and stay up on the flashcards. (which you want, are they separately purchased? I think they're in the "set") You'll succeed with this program more if you find a friend that really wants to learn it and you treat it like a "class." You set up Mondays at 3, for instance, and you all agree that it's top priority to be there.

My children were 3rd grade (8), 6th grade and 9th grade and they were all fine with Latina Christiana I and II and are now doing fine in Henle.

Carrie:-)

I think you could do very well with LC.

My 8 and 10 year olds are doing LCII right now. I've gone with the mentality that we can slow down whenever we need to for the 8 year old, but so far it hasn't been necessary.

We started with Prima Latina when they were 6 and 8.

Latin is their very favorite subject.

Latin for Children.

We had already done Prima Latina and Minimus. Prima started out great, but towards the end of the book I was very frustrated to not see the big picture or to have any grammar explanations. It was also pretty dry and did not excite me at all about LC I. Minimus was great fun and my dds loved it, but it does not teach grammar in any kind of systematic way. It helped whet our appetite for real Latin though.

In making our decision for 3rd grade this year, I was very interested in Lively Latin and LFC. After looking at samples (I highly recommend doing this), LFC fit us better both in it's structure and in its scope. LL has more cultural info which we will cover in history next time through ancients--I didn't want to do that this year as we start grammar. LFC was described by others as having less writing but covering more grammar and vocab. This fits my super-memory dd very well. And my dds just love the LFC DVD. They really look forward to it. LFC is extremely pick up and go. I do no advanced prep. Having to print LL or having to use my laptop to get chants or other materials put me off a bit. I like ready-to-go.

We do a bit of Latin each day- kiddos watch the dvd on Monday. Tuesday- Thursday they practice flashcards (we have made our own & bough theirs) & finish their workbooks- both LC book & Ludere Latin pages. On Friday they do the quiz. Oh, I'd get the cd to listen to also- it take a few minutes & the kids listen to it each day. Helps them w/ pronucation!

VERY doable!

HJT

I used Latina Christiana with my older children and than went into Henle. Last year I decided to use something new with my youngest son - Lively Latin. If I had to do it all over again with the older children I would have used LL but it wasn't out way back than. I am now using Getting started with Latin as a supplement with LL for extra translation practice. Each lesson in GSWL, takes less than 5 minutes per day to do. But I wouldn't use this as my main curriculum.

Blessings

Zoraida

I've had good sucess with the old stand-by, Latin Primer. Level one is primarily learning vocabulary and chants with some simple translation. Level two and three continue with vocabulary and introduce more translation/grammar. My oldest was able to go from Latin Primer III to Wheelock's which he will finish up this year as a 7th grader.

I think LP gives a thorough, solid foundation in Latin without introducing too much grammar/translation too early. It is very easy to teach with the DVDs (in fact, I really don't do any teaching, just a bit of help once in a while and quiz/test correcting). I photocopy the workbook and vocab. lists for each child, so the materials can be used over and over.

We suppliment with Lingua Angelica (the song book) once in a while.

I am now using Getting started with Latin as a supplement with LL for extra translation practice. Each lesson in GSWL, takes less than 5 minutes per day to do. But I wouldn't use this as my main curriculum.

Blessings

Zoraida

Why wouldn't you? It seems like a great way to ease into adding a totally new subject.

Only starting lesson 2 of 16 but we have loved Lively Latin so far. For me, what I am seeing is that we really get to work with derivatives and learn not only the "Latin" but get to learn about all the English versions as well.

The variety of material is nice and I am making a lapbook review book to go with it so that as we learn about something important it goes in the lapbook for us to reference. It is so much more fun to do chants and repeat our vocabulary when opening up the little books to find them.

I have looked at Prima Latina and we did Minimus to lesson 10. I think there will be a lot more sticking power with Lively Latin than we experienced with Minimus but I love Minimus as a fun introduction to Latin.:001_smile: